Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa business class [merged] experience reports

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Row 26 (with greater legroom) has been removed in several A380 and Y has been installed at the back of the upper deck.

My question: Does Row 21 (bulkhead) also have the cutout with greater legroom, or is the footwell more constricted than the other seats?

Last edited by martina; May 5, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Old May 5, 2015, 7:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by martina
Row 26 (with greater legroom) has been removed in several A380 and PE has been installed at the back of the upper deck.
The seats in the upper deck are plain economy, not PE.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Any advice on seating for the reconfigured 747-400 with business in the upper deck? I'm flying FRA-YVR later this month and currently upstairs but welcome opinions.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by rosswill
Hello, new to the Star Alliance section on here. Just returned from Asia with LH on the A380 and found the experience in business, as with BA's offering, just a little bit disappointing. Am I alone?

There's no doubt it's a fantastic aircraft, but as with BA, LH appear to have simply transferred existing seating layouts and crammed them into the new fuselage. No great re-think here. There was very little privacy with no way to work on my computer without sharing the contents of the screen with my neighbour. Not a problem for me as it happens, but I can imagine it could be if you were working on sensitive documents. The clambering over people to get to the isle is again a great shame on a modern layout design, and the tray was a painful experience to get past without stowing it completely. Overall service was alright with LH, nothing special but not too bad. Food and drink was fine, but not above average.

Outbound I was with Swiss on the A330 which had a far more spacious feel to the cabin. I've also done the journey on the B787, which again won hands down on comfort.

So far, EK are the only airline I have flown with who have impressed me with their layout on the A380.

What has everyone else found on their travels? I think I'll not be going out of my way to book on this aircraft again.

Ross
Totally agree with you. I love the A380 but once you've flown it with a 1-2-1 configuration (on QR, EY or EK for example), LH's 2-2-2 cabin layout is underwhelming to say the least.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Totally agree with you. I love the A380 but once you've flown it with a 1-2-1 configuration (on QR, EY or EK for example), LH's 2-2-2 cabin layout is underwhelming to say the least.
I cannot understand LH. Looks like every other airline are installing seats with direct aisle access and reasonable privacy. LH is spending money for a seat which is past its time. Even the US carriers (like AA) are installing better seats. LH has an excellent F product, but their business product is inferior.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Anything 1-2-1 is better than 2-2-2 no doubt.

2-2-2 is getting old but I was super surprised when they announced a "new" 2-2-2- config.... Again
Old May 31, 2015, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I cannot understand LH. Looks like every other airline are installing seats with direct aisle access and reasonable privacy. LH is spending money for a seat which is past its time. Even the US carriers (like AA) are installing better seats. LH has an excellent F product, but their business product is inferior.
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Anything 1-2-1 is better than 2-2-2 no doubt.
2-2-2 is getting old but I was super surprised when they announced a "new" 2-2-2- config.... Again
My thoughts exactly. The fact that they haven't even finished refurbishing their fleet with a seat configuration that belongs to the past is frankly ridiculous. What's even more puzzling is that when they announced the new C product back in 2012, it was already outdated. Not to mention that they installed it in their A380's at the beginning. I still like LH for emotional (irrational) reasons, but they're making it harder every year to justify flying with them. Hell, even AF (an airline I tend to avoid) has a new C coming that is much better than LH. Slightly OT, but if you add the LH strike situation, AF (with the new C only) now looks better than LH, which (to me at least) is a remarkable thing to say. Two core German strengths i.e. world-class engineering/design, especially in the high-end sector, and punctuality/reliability are no longer a given with regards to LH in general (strike situation) and its new C (cabin configuration) in particular.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
AFAIK, LH has completed its Business Class seat refurbishing on all their A380s planes now, so they are all lie-flat seats. With the 2-2-2 seating arrangement, it is not all aisle access, but for some who are traveling as a couple, they may actually prefer the 2-2-2 arrangement, although not so much for solo travelers.

I flew on the A380 Business Class recently and I enjoyed the quieter interior of the A380 and the improved cabin pressurization.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
AFAIK, LH has completed its Business Class seat refurbishing on all their A380s planes now, so they are all lie-flat seats. With the 2-2-2 seating arrangement, it is not all aisle access, but for some who are traveling as a couple, they may actually prefer the 2-2-2 arrangement, although not so much for solo travelers.
True indeed. 2-2-2 can be better than 1-2-1 for (happy) couples.

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I was on the LH 400 service today. A380 FRA-JFK service.
The inflight service was very nice. New setup with pre-departure orders of drinks after take off as well as lunch orders taken.
No idea why it has taken Lh 20 years to copy the SQ/CX approach?
Anyway, service today was fantastic.
That's good to know, thanks for the heads up. I'll fly FRA-LAX in the 748 in a couple of weeks and A388 on the way back.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
If you need privacy or require the secrecy then travel in F - just kidding.

I assume LH does want to state that there is a visible difference and a price premium necessity between C (2-2-2) and F (1-2-1). Otherwise they would fall into the same trap as SQ does by making C and F(or suite)in the same lay out/ with seat marginally better, that people are happy in C and have no further need for F. For that matter i think i read in the SQforum that F is slashed by half on their 777-300ER and that F(suite) on non premium routes and offpeak has difficulty selling.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by HadesNL
I assume LH does want to state that there is a visible difference and a price premium necessity between C (2-2-2) and F (1-2-1). Otherwise they would fall into the same trap as SQ does by making C and F(or suite)in the same lay out/ with seat marginally better, that people are happy in C and have no further need for F. For that matter i think i read in the SQforum that F is slashed by half on their 777-300ER and that F(suite) on non premium routes and offpeak has difficulty selling.
While this makes sense in theory, it's probably not the reason for their (questionable) reason to stick with their outdated 2-2-2 configuration. Most (premium) carriers who update their fleets choose 1-2-1. It's the configuration of the future while 2-2-2 belongs to the past. Would you choose to fly in a 2-2-2 cabin if there's a 1-2-1 option of a similar (or better) airline for the same price?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Even if 2-2-2 there are seat options out there in a staggered / offset variant that still allow much easier aisle access for people seated in the "window" seats. That odd "new" LH Biz seat is one of the reasons why I fly LX over LH long-haul Biz whenever possible.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by demue
Even if 2-2-2 there are seat options out there in a staggered / offset variant that still allow much easier aisle access for people seated in the "window" seats. That odd "new" LH Biz seat is one of the reasons why I fly LX over LH long-haul Biz whenever possible.
Same for me. I also prefer LX longhaul C over LH. But as I need to fly to ICN a few times during the next year, still the LH FRA-ICN flight appears to be the most convenient (and for sure better than the old old C on the OZ B744 on this route… )
I was wondering whether there are any strong seat preferences, as I never flew LH C on the A388. For my next FRA-ICN flight in a few weeks basically rows 10-16 are already completely booked. Due to the seat lay-out and as I am traveling alone, I would prefer a window seat (A or K) over the middle D/G seats. On the outbound (overnight), I have reserved 20A, on the inbound 19K. Service starts from back to front on the A388, right?
What about the rear mini-cabin (only 4 rows on this flight + 4/5 rows of Y seats in the very back). I guess row 21 AC and 21HK are bassinet positions, as they are blocked, so are 10 ACHK. Any experience/suggestions would be welcome.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by demue
Absolutely right. 1-2-1 > staggered/offset 2-2-2 > 2-2-2 (LH)
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by JohnRain
While this makes sense in theory, it's probably not the reason for their (questionable) reason to stick with their outdated 2-2-2 configuration. Most (premium) carriers who update their fleets choose 1-2-1. It's the configuration of the future while 2-2-2 belongs to the past. Would you choose to fly in a 2-2-2 cabin if there's a 1-2-1 option of a similar (or better) airline for the same price?
I agree that on the A380 business class, 1-2-1 seat arrangement would be quite nice. But I do not see any European airlines with this arrangement. BA has a 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 arrangement and AF also has a 2-2-2 arrangement.

Of course the Asian airlines like SQ, TG, OZ, CZ and the middle eastern airline EK has 1-2-1 seating on the A380 business class. But I don't know if LH is in direct competition with the Asian/Middle Eastern airlines and consider BA and AF as their major competitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.