Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I have SEA-FRA-DUB on April 26 or so... hope I dodge the bullet.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Ugh, bunch of intra-Europe flights on LH in June & July
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Ugh, bunch of intra-Europe flights on LH in June & July
There's always DB ... they often strike on different dates than LH.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by weero
There's always DB ... they often strike on different dates than LH.
The train conductors just agreed on new terms with DB and hence DB should be a 'safe' alternative within Germany and possibly Europe for now.

Luckily I do not have any LH flights coming up with no alternatives. So I will just wait and see how things develop.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:49 am

Would that affect Germanwings as well or LH mainline only?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Potential VC Pilots Strike 2014 [discussion]

Pilots are already paid like senior management - too bad they are trying to squeeze it again on the back of the passenger.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
Great question- also interesting to know any timelines as to potential first start date?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Flying IAD-FRA next Sunday and feel a little like I'm about to cross a picket line.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by banzani
Pilots are already paid like senior management - too bad they are trying to squeeze it again on the back of the passenger.
You think squeezing passengers or their backs should be left to the management?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Potential VC Pilots Strike 2014 [discussion]

I would consider pilots part of management, even though they may not always behave that way. But you raise a good point, perhaps their job is to add the physical pain at the airport. Nothing better than a 6 hour delay on a 125 mile segment to MOW !
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by weero
You think squeezing passengers or their backs should be left to the management?
I think that is one of the primary jobs of management. I just wish that they would do it in a more courteous manner...

Originally Posted by banzani
I would consider pilots part of management, even though they may not always behave that way. But you raise a good point, perhaps their job is to add the physical pain at the airport. Nothing better than a 6 hour delay on a 125 mile segment to MOW !
I am not sure most of the pilots would agree they are part of management, although one of them is now the CEO...I forgot to ask Spohr in November if his license is still current (does anyone know), and I wonder if he would cross the picket line in case of a strike...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Note though this is not the pilots union- this is Verdi asking for support to their public services sector strike.
I know, and it's all a little premature at this stage.... but if I'm delayed it wouldn't really matter who is striking. Even though I might need a pilot working a bit more than a baggage handler or someone servicing the lounge since I'm traveling with carry-on only :-).
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sokolov
Yes, the 4U pilots are in the same VC unit as LH mainline and LH Cargo.

Regarding notification from the social media team, they are usually completely stretched when irregs occur and have to scale down participation on FT to give more attention to twitter/facebook and the classic channels. We are working on getting ressources from them for it, but its unlikely.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, the 4U pilots are in the same VC unit as LH mainline and LH Cargo.

Regarding notification from the social media team, they are usually completely stretched when irregs occur and have to scale down participation on FT to give more attention to twitter/facebook and the classic channels. We are working on getting ressources from them for it, but its unlikely.
Thanks Oliver2002 for the follow up.

As of today- with the strike being reported by everyone including Wall Street Journal, CNN, Financial Times, as well as European media- still nothing even on the webpage of lufthansa.com much less social media. If I look on the Facebook page the last update there was is "Qual č la cosa pių incredibile che avete visto viaggiando? #buonweekend
So- good weekend!

What I am more curious about is if I will have risk of delays on my flights either tomorrow, thursday, or Friday- of which at the moment Flyertalk is probably the best chance I have. How can it be that all the media can report on the strike and Lufthansa cannot even put a little update on either their Facebook page or even much better their own home page? I realize this has nothing to do with Flyertalk- however it is not really very re-assuring.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
AFAIK LH doesn't publish things on the webpage till they are final. Right now the VC hasn't said anything specific, and Verdi announced the Thursday only last night. So lets give them some time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.