Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I would really appreciate it if people that have not the slightest idea about the background of the strike ( or the general concepts of strikes) would stop spamming this thread with their ........ rants about the strike!
If you are not a pilot or a member of the VC union you should post your opinion elsewhere.....
Nobody judges your job or income so how dare you judge others?
Given that the strike is having a significant impact on 425,000 people, people have every right to voice their opinion.

If LH and it's pilots (VC union) were not showing everyone their dirty laundry in public [by striking!] then I would agree with you!

In any case, the comments on pilots pay here look much more balanced than as those reported on mainstream German news.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I would really appreciate it if people that have not the slightest idea about the background of the strike ( or the general concepts of strikes) would stop spamming this thread with their ........ rants about the strike!
If you are not a pilot or a member of the VC union you should post your opinion elsewhere.....
Nobody judges your job or income so how dare you judge others?
Agree or not, people have a right to voice their opinions on the matter. Your attitude seeks to censor or shut up anyone who may have a dissenting view point. Sorry, but something like Flyeralk is built on the concept of spirited debate and on helping one another. You're trying to shut down half of that equation and will fail quite successfully.

But maybe that's just me and this thing called the 1st Amendment (A 'minor' USA thing that applies since FT is US based) that has it all wrong....
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by capitalflow
Are you serious? Do you not have an inkling onto the purpose of this site?

The people who read and post to this site depend on the airlines and other travel providers to do what they are paid to do in order for them to do their jobs. I am aghast at the idiocy of your comment and more set aside as to the sheer ignorance of its bald statements that you clearly are not anywhere near the 21st century.

Don't be too surprised that German labor law may be changed as a result of these asinine strikes and not in the favor of already pampered pilots.
+10000000
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88
You see, you've insulted a banker.
Make that 2..... but the investment kind so I don't count in the tally.......
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
Are you serious? Do you not have an inkling onto the purpose of this site?

The people who read and post to this site depend on the airlines and other travel providers to do what they are paid to do in order for them to do their jobs. I am aghast at the idiocy of your comment and more set aside as to the sheer ignorance of its bald statements that you clearly are not anywhere near the 21st century.

Don't be too surprised that German labor law may be changed as a result of these asinine strikes and not in the favor of already pampered pilots.
Pilots may be pampered, but guess who else is?
And they may be blackmailing society, but guess who else is?
Yeah, right - bankers!
Oh, and not everybody here is a professional frequent flyer. Oh, and "bold", not "bald". Oh, and, don't call other people names that you don't want to be called. 'nuff said.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Thank you NYT euro edition in Sat.

Saw the strike in the paper, and knowing I was connecting out of FRA from a small European market this Wednesday immediately made a plan B. Now booked on SN to a UA international connecting point back to the states. In Business. UA was fantastic on this and I had no problem doing this change well in advance assuming that the pilots at LH were insistent on throwing their adolescent temper tantrum.

Note to self: avoid LH in the future until the laws are cracked down on this type of ridiculous, anti-commercial antics. Here's a tip, pilots: you won't have a job if no one want to fly your airline. And more to the point, the flying public doesn't care one iota about your retirement or your holidays or your perks.

You have drastically overreached this one. And will likely lose leverage rather gain it. A half million displaced passengers far outweigh you in numbers. And numbers always win.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
And numbers always win.
Sincerely, the People's Republic of China
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Lightbulb

I just think a "I do not like strikes in general" or a "I do not like this strike" thread would be more appropriate for that discussion and keep this one about information as to how to deal with the strike rather then the useless rants....@:-):-:
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:05 pm

LH were insistent on throwing their adolescent temper tantrum.

Note to self: avoid LH in the future until the laws are cracked down on this type of ridiculous, anti-commercial antics. Here's a tip, pilots: you won't have a job if no one want to fly your airline. And more to the point, the flying public doesn't care one iota about your retirement or your holidays or your perks.

You have drastically overreached this one. And will likely lose leverage rather gain it. A half million displaced passengers far outweigh you in numbers. And numbers always win.
adolescent temper tantrum? yeah, right, I can see one here, but it's not the LH pilots throwing it
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Originally Posted by ningyo
Pilots may be pampered, but guess who else is?
And they may be blackmailing society, but guess who else is?
Yeah, right - bankers!
Oh, and not everybody here is a professional frequent flyer. Oh, and "bold", not "bald". Oh, and, don't call other people names that you don't want to be called. 'nuff said.
No, I meant bald. Your statements are not bold in any sense of the word. Rather they are nakedly apparent to be ridiculous. But I shan't hold anything against you since I learned English as a native. And before you start shaking the Bill of Rights at me, careful, counselor. I know them better than you think I do. Besides, they are irrelevant. This is a question of German labor law as it applies to the unions. But the generosity of that law is being abused. And I do not see that being an accepted long-term viability. 'Nuff said. Now, as a frequent flyer affected by this very strike, I would say that my situation has direct, punitive view. Whereas, from your BarcaLounger, yours mayn't. 'Jus say'in.

Last edited by capitalflow; Mar 31, 2014 at 3:15 pm Reason: iPad typing.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Member

This is a question of German labor law as it applies to the unions. But the generosity of that law is being abused. And I do not see that being an accepted long-term viability.
Yeah sure....you are an expert on everything right?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:14 pm

Now, as a frequent flyer affected by this very strike, I would say that my situation has direct, punitive view. Whereas, for your BarcaLounger, yours mayn't. 'Jus say'in.
If you had read my post instead of ranting, you would have seen that I, too, am affected by the strike. However I realize that throwing tantrums doesn't get me anywhere (and as someone with call center experience I can tell you exactly how far your tone will get you with German call center agents), so I focus on finding solutions instead of ranting.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by ningyo
adolescent temper tantrum? yeah, right, I can see one here, but it's not the LH pilots throwing it
The customer is always right.

But in the view of the LH pilots, "It would be a great airline if it wasn't for the passengers!"

Next time you pay for say, a dinner, and the waiter comes back after taking your money and tells you the kitchen is closed and to see the maître d. I would like to see the maturity in your behavior. Especially when your own business depended on said dinner.

And you had paid in advance.

Weeks, months ago.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Member

You found a solution so just get over it!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:36 pm

I am booked on a cancelled Lufthansa ORD-MUC flight tomorrow.

I have tried calling the US and UK line, but always get that all lines are busy.

The website says to call.

Any suggestions getting a hold of a real person to speak with at LH?

Thanks in advance,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.