Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa to spin off Miles&More into a new independent company with WorldShop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa to spin off Miles&More into a new independent company with WorldShop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Miles & More has new operator [Miles & More GmbH announced]

Just received this email today

Today, we would like to tell you about some organizational changes regarding the Miles & More program, that will give us the opportunity to make the program even more attractive for you in the future.

Miles & More GmbH, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lufthansa German Airlines, will now assume responsibility for all program related topics to earning and redeeming of award miles. Lufthansa German Airlines will remain responsible, as at present, for topics regarding frequent flyer status and the earning of status miles. For you, as a member, this is purely a matter of an internal realignment of responsibilities within the Lufthansa Group.

The membership Terms & Conditions have already been updated to include the role of Miles & More GmbH as an additional program operator. You can view these at any time online at
miles-and-more.com/conditions as well as our FAQs (frequently asked questions) which will give you more detailed information about this change.

We thank you for your continued loyalty to Miles & More.

Sincerely,

The Miles & More Team

Now question is what will be next step for M&M and how will LH treat M&M members in the future? It has been not so good lately
Maybe M&M will start treating its member better, like the Fashion show trip to Paris
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Miles & More GmbH announced

an email has just arrived, it seems M&M is from now on an official company.

Programme information: Miles & More now has an additional operator
Dear Mr whiskey_sk,

Today, we would like to tell you about some organisational changes regarding the Miles & More programme, that will give us the opportunity to make the programme even more attractive for you in the future.

Miles & More GmbH, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lufthansa German Airlines, will now assume responsibility for all programme related topics to earning and redeeming of award miles. Lufthansa German Airlines will remain responsible, as at present, for topics regarding frequent flyer status and the earning of status miles. For you, as a member, this is purely a matter of an internal realignment of responsibilities within the Lufthansa Group.

The membership Terms & Conditions have already been updated to include the role of Miles & More GmbH as an additional programme operator. You can view these at any time online at
miles-and-more.com/conditions as well as our FAQs (frequently asked questions) which will give you more detailed information about this change.

We thank you for your continued loyalty to Miles & More.

Yours sincerely,

The Miles & More Team
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:34 am

Received it, too.

Is this the long expected split between LH and MM, or is something else at stake?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Our newsroom published a story about this earlier.

In addition to what I excerpted below, which gives the key details, Lufthansa is also moving WorldShop into the new subsidiary.

Lufthansa Spins Off Miles & More Frequent Flyer Program
German flag carrier Lufthansa announced the formation of a separate company to manage the Miles & More frequent flyer program. The move was originally approved by shareholders at the company’s annual meeting in April of this year.

The new subsidiary, Miles & More GmbH, took over responsibility for managing award miles this week. Lufthansa, however, continues to be the responsible party for issues relating to status miles at the present time. The move allows Lufthansa to outsource the management and governance of the Miles & More program to the subsidiary....

<SNIP>
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I hope with the new changes flying UA will also get us HON miles as in the past @:-)
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I hope with the new changes flying UA will also get us HON miles as in the past @:-)
Are you asking for a real enhancement?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I feel like this change will lead to the two "companies" bouncing you back and forth when it comes to missing mileage requests so that they don't have to honor anything. They might also be able to stop awarding miles to other programs without breaking any alliance rules.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Seeing as this decision remains with LH, ti seems unlikely to change.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
I feel like this change will lead to the two "companies" bouncing you back and forth when it comes to missing mileage requests so that they don't have to honor anything. They might also be able to stop awarding miles to other programs without breaking any alliance rules.
I doubt that this will be a change to the worse. Many airlines have outsourced the operation of their FFPs without any significant changes to the program.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by totti
I doubt that this will be a change to the worse. Many airlines have outsourced the operation of their FFPs without any significant changes to the program.
Can you cite some? The only one I'm familiar with is Air Canada Aeroplan and that preceded the addition of fuel surcharges onto awards and massive inflation in the award chart. To be fair, M&M already has the former, and AC realigned similar to M&M's current chart.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I doubt it as AC did that but it is a mere shadow of what it was just 4 years ago.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
This has been a long standing issue with AC / AE (Aeroplan) - both sides will claim the other is responsible and it is only with considerable "communication" that anything gets fixed!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Are you asking for a real enhancement?
Just a wish which will never come true
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Can you cite some? The only one I'm familiar with is Air Canada Aeroplan and that preceded the addition of fuel surcharges onto awards and massive inflation in the award chart. To be fair, M&M already has the former, and AC realigned similar to M&M's current chart.
airberlin's program is a separate company, although it was done so Etihad could own a majority of it (a way to sidestep EU rules on airline ownership). The program itself has only gotten better.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was a long term (from the beginning) Aeroplan SuperElite and I can tell you that the changes were very very significant. In fact the program is not even worth belonging to anymore. Even the bank that launched the credit card to earn Aeroplan miles dropped it after 20 years.

Then again when I see the new Select miles offers I cannot really imagine going anywhere else than M&M- I may even get a comped Hilton Gold membership!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.