Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa to spin off Miles&More into a new independent company with WorldShop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Could it not be that the whole thing might actually get better? I just say that because I simply don't think it can descend any lower. But they might just wake up and improve the programme as British Airways did with theirs. And there are still numerous (and sometimes fun) ways to pick up miles: newspapers and magazines, Payback, Swiss COOP Trophy stamps (stamp collecting just like in the good old days of petrol station coupons)... although it's odd that the Worldshop remains so utterly rubbish for collecting and spending. It's an insult to the intelligence of a primate.

Hasn't the economy class thing 'more closely reflecting the value of the ticket' been around for some time now?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Concerto
Could it not be that the whole thing might actually get better? I just say that because I simply don't think it can descend any lower.
M&M can descend to depths than you not only would have never imagined, it apparently can sink to depths you cannot imagine...

The good news is every 10 LH Y longhaul trips will qualify you for a toaster from the Worldshop...
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If I recall the comments I heard last summer, it seems that M&M has realised that M&M is starting to loose its appeal to the Y traveller. When I asked, they said they will try to add more non flying earning options and try to simplify the redemption options. Killing/reducing/simplifying YQ was categorically ruled out, but the flat 18k for all taxes & fees on regional flights concept will probably be expanded to other regions. The YQ adjustment announced yesterday is a hint towards that too.@:-)
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
This sentence from the annual report 2013 however does not bode well for 2014 M&M economy class customers:

The next step for the frequent flyer programme will be to introduce a series of enhancements in 2014. The miles awarded in Economy Class will more closely reflect the value of the ticket purchased.
I think that relates the the already implemented changes from Jan 1 - as in, you get a bad value out of your >1k EUR Q class ticket, so you only get 50%miles.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lack
I think that relates the the already implemented changes from Jan 1 - as in, you get a bad value out of your >1k EUR Q class ticket, so you only get 50%miles.
While I wish you are correct, I don't think so- this is changes "to be implemented in 2014"- and putting the program together with WorldShop seems to show where M&M is on the overall priorities of the company- unless suddenly suitcases and toasters are very strategic as they are over at Aeroplan.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:23 am

While I wish you are correct, I don't think so- this is changes "to be implemented in 2014"- and putting the program together with WorldShop seems to show where M&M is on the overall priorities of the company- unless suddenly suitcases and toasters are very strategic as they are over at Aeroplan.
It's covering 2013 and the changes to M&M earning chart were actually introduced in 2014, so it all checks out I think.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Killing/reducing/simplifying YQ was categorically ruled out, but the flat 18k for all taxes & fees on regional flights concept will probably be expanded to other regions. The YQ adjustment announced yesterday is a hint towards that too.@:-)
Let's wait and see, I am curious about how this is going to develop after April 1st.

Regarding M&M European awards, I found them to be good value on certain one-day return trips booked less than 1 week in advance (rev tickets above 800 eur). I got 2 of these in 2013.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The financial press is saying it is similar to both the Air Canada and the Air Berlin transactions. While I do agree they can often be wrong (the press)- and horribly misinformed- what I do find are a number of similarities between this spinoff and the Aeroplan operation. Merging the company with Worldshop will probably generate short-term income for Lufthansa- longer term though I don't know how well it can work out for the customers of Miles&More- it certainly goes a very long way however in explaining why mileage earnings have been reduced as heavily as they have been.
This is a set-up to create a unit valuation that can then be used to create a sort of more substantive liquidity event for the unit so as to further benefit its parent (at least in a more short-term sense). If this eventually goes the way of Air Canada and the AC "loyalty" program -- and it wouldn't surprise me if it does -- I'd expect that LH group passengers participating in M&M will be worse off for it.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mmff
Let's wait and see, I am curious about how this is going to develop after April 1st.

Regarding M&M European awards, I found them to be good value on certain one-day return trips booked less than 1 week in advance (rev tickets above 800 eur). I got 2 of these in 2013.
For even same-week bookings, I can travel from pretty much any airport in Europe which happens to serviced by a Star Alliance flight to any comparable airport in Europe for less than 400 EURs one-way as long as I book it 24+ hours before. Might not earn miles, but that's not really new for me when dealing with LH flights.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
If they do it anything like Aeroplan, it will be an "enhancement", just like United, Delta, and AC have been . . . a change you DO NOT like.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
On the contrary, I expect the spin off will result in more and even generous earning opportunities (CC and other financial products) and a change to a greater redemption easiness.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP

I agree with the earning. And will agree to (non-flying) redemption.
But flying redemption I don't see it.
Maybe during the next recession.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:16 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If I recall the comments I heard last summer, it seems that M&M has realised that M&M is starting to loose its appeal to the Y traveller.
Sounds good. What they did, however, to address the lack of appeal to the Y traveler was to cut mileage earning from 100% to 50% and from 50% to 25%. I'm sure that will rectify the problem...

HTB.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
Sounds good. What they did, however, to address the lack of appeal to the Y traveler was to cut mileage earning from 100% to 50% and from 50% to 25%. I'm sure that will rectify the problem...

HTB.
And cut all HON circle miles from any Y flight.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Miles & More has new operator [Miles & More GmbH announced]

NEW T&C due to

Miles & More GmbH, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lufthansa German Airlines, will now assume responsibility for all programme related topics to earning and redeeming of award miles. Lufthansa German Airlines will remain responsible, as at present, for topics regarding frequent flyer status and the earning of status miles. For you, as a member, this is purely a matter of an internal realignment of responsibilities within the Lufthansa Group.
We've been heard as the changes this time are highlighted directly in the published pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.