Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Reply

Old Jun 18, 18, 11:18 am
  #2416  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: M&S, Radisson
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
Another one to be swallowed up by the LH Death Star?
I don't think so. They have enough on their plate right now. Maybe they're just trying to spoil the purchase price for IAG.
1flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 18, 3:57 pm
  #2417  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BSL/FRA or ORD/SBN
Programs: LH Miles and More, KE Skypass, DL SkyMiles, Starwood
Posts: 2,322
Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
I don't think so. They have enough on their plate right now.
It would certainly raise their EW/Point-to-Point/LCC (whatever the project is being called today) problems to a new level. Probably a level they don't need right now.

Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
Maybe they're just trying to spoil the purchase price for IAG.
That is an interesting thought. There are some creative ways to frustrate competitors if one thinks about it...
N1003U is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 18, 1:37 am
  #2418  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX HON, FB Plat, AB Gold, BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Posts: 465
Looking at the latest announcement by Lufthansa moving more A380 and A340-600 from FRA to MUC, it is a clear signal that MUC should be the preferred Hub (together with ZRH) for F class. Frankfurt and Vienna getting the business and leisure (a lot of destinations/options) travelers. It seems that they focus their hubs. Would be interesting what this will mean for the F class offerings in FRA incl. F Terminal. They might close it, further open it to other carriers or people willing to pay for it (call it your extra choice for extra money). Any thoughts by others here?
HKG1111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 18, 2:26 am
  #2419  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midlands, UK
Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
Posts: 869
Originally Posted by HKG1111 View Post
Looking at the latest announcement by Lufthansa moving more A380 and A340-600 from FRA to MUC, it is a clear signal that MUC should be the preferred Hub (together with ZRH) for F class. Frankfurt and Vienna getting the business and leisure (a lot of destinations/options) travelers. It seems that they focus their hubs. Would be interesting what this will mean for the F class offerings in FRA incl. F Terminal. They might close it, further open it to other carriers or people willing to pay for it (call it your extra choice for extra money). Any thoughts by others here?
I disagree with a few bits of your comments.

1. Frankfurt is a business destination, not a tourist destination in the main.
2. For local leisure customers they will regularly use the likes of Cologne and Dusseldorf (but not at a hub level, admittedly)
3. They won't close the F Terminal any time soon, for sure not in the foreseeable future.
4. I possibly see them allowing an option to pay for access if already flying Business or something on LH Group
5. Possibility of other airlines accessing as the Senator lounge isn't great if youre paying F. But that may be a big increase in PAX inside the lounges and not sure they can be handled. ESpecially the F terminal.
Lewis42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 18, 2:36 am
  #2420  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: M&S, Radisson
Posts: 761
Originally Posted by Lewis42 View Post
1. Frankfurt is a business destination, not a tourist destination in the main.
In FRA, 36% of travellers are travelling for business, the remaining 64% for pleasure. Source: Fraport, 2018.
HKG1111 likes this.
1flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:32 am
  #2421  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany
Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Posts: 651
There have been quite a few issues with delays in Frankfurt in 2018. Some of them have been related to LH, some to Fraport issues and some to federal issues (i.e. security controls). This triggered:
  1. There is now the request/wish from Fraport, LH and some politicians to give the aiports in Germany the authority to perform the security controls under their own responsibility, instead of being dependent from the police/state
  2. LH is moving some of the traffic from FRA to MUC in oder to increase reliability and to put preassure on the responsible people outside of LH to start fixing the issues
Scrooge McDuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:48 am
  #2422  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,588
Originally Posted by HKG1111 View Post
Looking at the latest announcement by Lufthansa moving more A380 and A340-600 from FRA to MUC, it is a clear signal that MUC should be the preferred Hub (together with ZRH) for F class.
Not really. MUC only has 5 A380 and about 14 A346 that have F. FRA has 19 B748 and 9 A380 that have F.

The A346 in MUC are supposed to be replaced with A359 that do not have F, although that plan was pushed back a bit recently. I doubt that with increasing fuel prices that will hold....

As far as customer base is concerned, the ZRH & FRA region has far more large companies that allow management to fly F as standard. This crowd is the base load for the LH F service. The leisure tickets in A or upgrades/awards is just added business.
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 18, 3:53 am
  #2423  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Midlands, UK
Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN
Posts: 869
Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
In FRA, 36% of travellers are travelling for business, the remaining 64% for pleasure. Source: Fraport, 2018.
O&D or Connecting?

and out of curiosity, what's this like compared to say...MUC?
Lewis42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:57 pm
  #2424  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,588
I stumbled across Sadiq Gillanis profile on Linkedin this week (again):

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sgillani/

He joined Lufthansa Group as Chief Strategy & Innovation officer. He was a key part of the Group Leadership team which turned around the performance of the company, trebling the share price and profit margin. During this time he developed the business plan for the new Eurowings (low cost subsiduary of Lufthansa), including launching long-haul low cost flying and aiming to become Europe´s 3rd largest low cost carrier.

In 2015 he was asked to become one of the first employees of the new Eurowings, responsible for Network Planning, Fleet and Airport Relations. He led the project to wetlease 35 aircraft from Air Berlin, worked on the acquisition of LGW from the Air Berlin insolveny as well as the integration of Brussels Airlines. These transactions made Eurowings the fastest growing airline in Europe and reach a fleet of 200 aircraft, achieving the target of becoming the 3rd largest LCC, 2 years early.

He was a Non-Executive Director of the German-Turkish leisure airline SunExpress, with over €1B of revenues and Chairman of Lufthansa Consulting.
It seems he hatched the EW strategies that are being slowly unwound this year. (EW longhaul in MUC etc). He is now with EK
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:10 pm
  #2425  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,455
So does that mean that EW longhaul really is not working? I was surprised at DUS airport to see them operating trunk routes like New York, which presumably replaces the Lufthansa service on that route. Sort of understand them being on leisure routes.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:33 pm
  #2426  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,588
EW longhaul is over in the form they launched it ( point to point leisure and charter from CGN and MUC with leased aircraft and sun express crew). The new approach is SN operated/owned all from DUS with EW feeders.
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:37 am
  #2427  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MUC
Programs: this and that
Posts: 1,008
Another interesting update:

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/...2-db4c3fbd9fef
cas_de is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 19, 3:46 am
  #2428  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,588
The sildes are very interesting...

https://investor-relations.lufthansa...sentations.pdf
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 19, 5:16 am
  #2429  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: LON
Programs: LH M&M SEN, Accor Plat
Posts: 64
The part that stood out for me is that they are leaving Brussels Airlines alone and not integrating it with EW
mywaterbroke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:25 am
  #2430  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BSL/FRA or ORD/SBN
Programs: LH Miles and More, KE Skypass, DL SkyMiles, Starwood
Posts: 2,322
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Keeping a straight face through the EW section was a challenge, but yes, there is some interesting data there.
N1003U is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread