Flyertalk/Vielfliegertreff <> Lufthansa IRREG Interview

Old Feb 10, 14, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Originally Posted by SMK77 View Post
HON doesn't mean anything these days: I remember arriving early for a flight to CDG from MUC and they charged me for taking the flight that departed an hour early. I changed and paid and was told onboard there was no breakfast for me and the purser explained to me that this was 'due to the fact I was a last minute upgrade from Economy'.

My total number of upgrades on LH to date is: zero.
Same happened to me on LX and LH: rebooked full fare C and J respectively to an earlier flight: on board the message " as you are an upgrade we do not have any catering for you" ...??
Old Feb 12, 14, 9:48 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
Same happened to me on LX and LH: rebooked full fare C and J respectively to an earlier flight: on board the message " as you are an upgrade we do not have any catering for you" ...??
Do you think that they were BSing or have they been genuinely been misinformed?

I mean there is zero point in lying to a customer that they are an ug as the customer is most certainly going to know what they are.

It sounds much like another case of the LH/LX management trying to keep their staff in the same dark as they try to peg their customers in.
Old Feb 12, 14, 10:45 am

I remember arriving early for a flight to CDG from MUC and they charged me for taking the flight that departed an hour early. I changed and paid and was told onboard there was no breakfast for me and the purser explained to me that this was 'due to the fact I was a last minute upgrade from Economy'.
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
Same happened to me on LX and LH: rebooked full fare C and J respectively to an earlier flight: on board the message " as you are an upgrade we do not have any catering for you"
How long were the flights? Did you complain any further (on the ground)? In case you did, what did LH reply? I certainly hope there was compensation for this (especially if we are talking about long haul flights).
Old Feb 12, 14, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by mmff View Post
..I certainly hope there was compensation for this (especially if we are talking about long haul flights).
I don't think you could take pax on longhauls without catering.

So that only happens by accident, not design.

Last edited by weero; Feb 13, 14 at 8:28 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 14, 14, 2:34 pm

Irrops rebooking number?

I was due to fly from LHR to DUS tonight but the flight has been cancelled. Now I am in a line with hundreds of other passengers for ONE open ticket counter to rebook us. I'm on a united award ticket. In the past when I was in a similar situation on united I had found it easier to call their ticketing line to have me rebooked. Is there a similar line I can call on Lufthansa to get me rebooked? I'm about to go insane - at this rate I think I will be hear for another 4 or 5 hours...
Old Feb 14, 14, 2:42 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CkCrunch View Post
I was due to fly from LHR to DUS tonight but the flight has been cancelled. Now I am in a line with hundreds of other passengers for ONE open ticket counter to rebook us. I'm on a united award ticket. In the past when I was in a similar situation on united I had found it easier to call their ticketing line to have me rebooked. Is there a similar line I can call on Lufthansa to get me rebooked? I'm about to go insane - at this rate I think I will be hear for another 4 or 5 hours...
LH's arrival and departure information page for the cancelled flight suggests you contact LH Service Center and the telephone number (24 hr) is 0871 945 9747. Good luck!

P.S. It looks like all LHR-DUS flights tomorrow are zeroed out in Economy though there were still some Business seats left. Depending on your destination, flying to FRA and taking the train might be an option.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 14, 14 at 4:10 pm Reason: added PS
Old Feb 14, 14, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post

P.S. It looks like all LHR-DUS flights tomorrow are zeroed out in Economy though there were still some Business seats left. Depending on your destination, flying to FRA and taking the train might be an option.
Good advice- especially I think today is the start of the "school holiday week" in the UK so a lot of people will be traveling- some flexibility with the train is an excellent idea and may get the OP to their destination a lot faster.
Old Feb 18, 14, 7:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by mmff View Post
How long were the flights? Did you complain any further (on the ground)? In case you did, what did LH reply? I certainly hope there was compensation for this (especially if we are talking about long haul flights).
The flight from MUC to CDG is 425 miles and I survived. I did not complain and did not ask for my change fee back. LH also saved money as I did not visit the FCL.

Two weeks later, I was in TPE and flew CX on an inflexible business ticket. While I am an Emerald on BA and QF, I have no status with CX. Again, I was early and CX changed me on to the earlier flight without blinking and without asking for any change fee.

LH is just a greedy penny pincher: they (over-)charge you whereever they can no matter of how loyal you are to them. Even HON are getting constantly milked and it's these tiny details that damage the LH brand so much. Non stop greedy.
Old Feb 19, 14, 3:25 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
LH is just a greedy penny pincher: they (over-)charge you whereever they can no matter of how loyal you are to them. Even HON are getting constantly milked and it's these tiny details that damage the LH brand so much. Non stop greedy
I am not ready to be quite so harsh, but it does seem to me that the needle is moving in this direction at LH. It will certainly be interesting to see how this effort to shake-down passengers at every opportunity will work out in the long run.

My impression is that bargain-fare infrequent/non-status passengers (worldwide) are being well-conditioned to trade cheap fares for harsh ticket restrictions. I am not sure it is a good idea to treat higher-revenue customers the same way, but it will be interesting to see if this model can be made to work.

I have had similar good experiences with CX in making small itinerary changes under both normal and IRROP conditions. Between their pricing, service to/in HKG and schedules within Asia, CX winning an increasing share of my business at the expense of LH/*A.
Old Feb 23, 14, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by N1003U View Post
My impression is that bargain-fare infrequent/non-status passengers (worldwide) are being well-conditioned to trade cheap fares for harsh ticket restrictions...
In Europe most certainly. In Asia people get upset if they cannot change their $13 SIN-BKK LCC ticket after they no-showed for their check-in window. No changes for medical emergency or family incident would certainly not fly here (no pun intended) and likely not even in the US&A. So Europeans have been well trained by their flag carriers to live with sub-LCC rules for some time already.

As we can tell from the uber-whiny stories from Indian girls who overshopped the boarding time, this does not seem to be a piece of culture that can be exported.
It will certainly be interesting to see how this effort to shake-down passengers at every opportunity will work out in the long run.
I am not sure it is a good idea to treat higher-revenue customers the same way, but it will be interesting to see if this model can be made to work.
There is no risk in there for LH or any other European protected carrier. If it proves detrimental, some schemes can be retro-enhanced and the voluntarily captive sheep/customers will flock back. After all there isn't really any universal competition if time is of essence.

And LH will certainly not loose the el-Cheapo crowd as it caters shamelessly for them. The spam I get for EUR 49 anywhere in Europe sales outnumbers the once every 6 months EUR 2800 Biz fares to a city I have heard of before by 2 orders of magnitude.

And with the newish Biz seats, the immediate threat of introducing an Premium Coach is tamed and hence LH might become quite flyable again. Sure I won't touch M&M the next 3 to 5 years but that is an entirely different matter.
Old Feb 24, 14, 3:09 am

Are there differences in accommodation arrangements from LH for HONs vs. SEN vs. FTL vs. no status in IRROPS, e.g. type of hotel accommodation, restaurant vouchers, etc.?

For example, if you have very high status with DL, they will not hesitate to overnight you at the Westin in the terminal at DTW, where one is a couple of minutes and a few hundred meters by foot from the gate (with priority security) while lesser beings are at best schlepped off to someplace like the Fairfield Inn, Romulus, and have to wake up at 04:30 to get the DL arranged shuttle back to the terminal. Better accommodations are coded into the SOPs for IRROPs for high status customers.

Does LH give their top status customers in general better accommodations during IRROPs (aside from higher priority re-booking, which is the limit of my experience as SEN and former occasional HON travel companion)?

Last edited by N1003U; Feb 24, 14 at 4:27 am
Old Feb 24, 14, 3:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies & Gentlemen, Dear Kids,
could we stick to IRREG topics please?

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum
Old Feb 25, 14, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent IRREG story on Bloomberg:

Lufthansa CFO Misses China Trip as Malfunction Grounds New 747

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...s-new-747.html
Old Feb 25, 14, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1003U View Post
Are there differences in accommodation arrangements from LH for HONs vs. SEN vs. FTL vs. no status in IRROPS, e.g. type of hotel accommodation, restaurant vouchers, etc.?

For example, if you have very high status with DL, they will not hesitate to overnight you at the Westin in the terminal at DTW, where one is a couple of minutes and a few hundred meters by foot from the gate (with priority security) while lesser beings are at best schlepped off to someplace like the Fairfield Inn, Romulus, and have to wake up at 04:30 to get the DL arranged shuttle back to the terminal. Better accommodations are coded into the SOPs for IRROPs for high status customers.

Does LH give their top status customers in general better accommodations during IRROPs (aside from higher priority re-booking, which is the limit of my experience as SEN and former occasional HON travel companion)?
Hi- I don't think the status changes the accommodations- or at least as both a SEN and a HON I have always been accommodated at the Sheraton FRA if there is space available.

As a DL member I do recall receiving better hotels when I had the shiny card as opposed to the more dull versions particularly near JFK.

The one point I really appreciate about LH is that in the cases of IRROPS I have always been put on the next available LH flight which is much better as compared to some airlines "standby".
Old Feb 25, 14, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Excellent IRREG story on Bloomberg:

Lufthansa CFO Misses China Trip as Malfunction Grounds New 747

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...s-new-747.html
Why couldn't she re-route via one of the several nearby LH destinations and connect to PEK (with a *A partner or even another carrier if necessary)? Or did she get the same treatment as other LH customers in her attempt to solve the IRROP problem......is she entitled to EU/261 compensation? etc., etc...lots of good material here...

Search this Thread