FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Flyertalk/Vielfliegertreff <> Lufthansa IRREG Interview (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html)

N1003U Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 22172045)
Until February 28th actually.

Oops. I stand corrected. OK, 6 weeks then...

seat 1a Jan 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by N1003U (Post 22171429)
+1

I fly LH (in the vast majority of cases) point-to-point, so I rarely have IRROPS related to connections. However, when I am affected by IRROPS, I find LH usually handles them as well or better than competitors.

The HON direct transfer in FRA is invaluable and in my case has worked 100 % during the last several years. Only this year I made 3 connections within 20 - 30 mins from wheels down , incl passport control/ security in 2 cases .^^

Jasper2009 Jan 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by seat 1a (Post 22174394)
The HON direct transfer in FRA is invaluable and in my case has worked 100 % during the last several years. Only this year I made 3 connections within 20 - 30 mins from wheels down , incl passport control/ security in 2 cases .^^

Just curious: Is there a separate passport control / security check facility on the ground level used exclusively by the direct transfer pax?

seat 1a Jan 17, 2014 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 22174435)
Just curious: Is there a separate passport control / security check facility on the ground level used exclusively by the direct transfer pax?

There is , not sure who/ what else it is issued for , but never seen a line there.

Kleffen Jan 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 22172045)
Until February 28th actually.

My last planned trip to the FCT as a HON paying my lowly business class fare is currently set on that very DEN connection for February 20th if I miss my connection and otherwise February 15th if I don't. LH has slightly retimed their VCE weekend departure flights in such a way that I now have a 4.5 hour connection now in FRA on the way to DEN- further evidence of my HON-- weero status.

How do you expect that to go? :o

Considering the perks that HON has. Going down to SEN, having to take the bus and the huge difference in lounges must make it feel sucky… Unless you fly F of course…

I'm *G and have flown F a few times. Can only imagine that if you're used to the way of travelling that LH provide in FRA/MUC for F, then it must feel strange/bad to not do it anymore and having to go with SEN "only" …

Suppose there are worse things in life though, a bit of a luxury problem...

MichielR Jan 18, 2014 5:48 am

Originally Posted by seat 1a (Post 22174529)
There is , not sure who/ what else it is issued for , but never seen a line there.

It is underneath the B gates, near B20 IIRC. There are two immigration booths, as well as a larger gate/holding pen.

It is a great perk indeed, though one that you'd be happy not to have to use...

weero Jan 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 22171464)
..Perhaps I have some weero status after all :) ?

I wonder how my future as UA*G aboard LH will be? Maybe it is less of a stigma than SEN--?

I usually don't value input from spokespersons much but this one makes some interesting claims whose limitations will be adventurous to explore. The IRROP online re-booking option including train options sounds indeed like a progress. Ignoring the difficulty to get Internet access when you are landside in a congested airport, I wonder what the traps will be.
Given the website experience, I am confident that this system will also not work within the limits of usability but of course I will see that this or next winter. My prejudice tells me that it will insist on the same booking class, will not offer other carriers, not offer other routings, and also suffer from overload conditions like its brethren.

Also interesting comments regarding using earlier feeders in adverse weather conditions and the hidden admission that LH has prevented pax from doing so in the past.
It also begs the question how this should then work if entire large stations such as ZRH are entirely cut off from accessing the LH IT systems. But again these things needs to be experienced even though I am very confident in what the outcome will be ...

TRAVELSIG Jan 20, 2014 7:55 am

Originally Posted by weero (Post 22185047)

Also interesting comments regarding using earlier feeders in adverse weather conditions and the hidden admission that LH has prevented pax from doing so in the past.

Without wanting to get anyone in trouble, there are more than a few good souls at LH who will override this and put you on the earlier flight if there is space and if you have hand luggage only. It is not allowed, but it seems there is a way to make it happen (although I really doubt it will continue much longer as the flexibility to front line staff seems to be diminishing).

N1003U Jan 20, 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 22151311)
...Only if there is concrete danger of missing the connection the station may decide to rebook and waive the charges...

This sounds to me like a bit of flexibility to make re-booking happen if there is a willingness to do so.

...In all other cases the original fare conditions of the ticket apply...
On the other hand, it looks like that flexibility can vaporize in milliseconds if the willingness is not there, so I suppose it pays to tread lightly when requesting accommodation on a tight connection.@:-)

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 22187487)
...there are more than a few good souls at LH who will override this and put you on the earlier flight if there is space and if you have hand luggage only...

I only rarely have connections on LH (since I mostly O&D from/to FRA), but I encountered one of those good souls last year. She booked me onto a flight I had to run for, and I sat next to the door to the lavatory at the back of an A321, but I arrived early enough in FRA to make my connection, while my original flight missed the last connection of the night.

oliver2002 Jan 20, 2014 10:39 am

As mentioned in the interview, such waivers are up to the station management. I was rebooked onto an earlier flight in DUS after the lounge lady double checked with the DST if it was OK. So if you notice rolling delays and make your case, a LH agent should plead your case to a person authorised to waive rebooking charges. The trick is to ask them to look up the schedule of the aircraft that is supposed to operate your leg. In my case she saw that the aircraft was running 90 mins late and still had 2 legs to fly before arriving in DUS.;)

TRAVELSIG Jan 20, 2014 11:12 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 22188373)
So if you notice rolling delays and make your case, a LH agent should plead your case to a person authorised to waive rebooking charges.

And here is the only part of the Lufthansa IRREG policy that I take issue with. The front line staff surely should be authorized to make a simple change such as this without having to "plead your case" to anyone?

While someone may come back and say "but other airlines don't allow that either" to which in many cases I concur they do not, this would be a small yet effective and relatively cost free way for Lufthansa to perform at a higher level than the competition and thus leverage their very best and most underutilized asset which is their excellent people.

IRREG are going to happen to every airline and while I can appreciate the huge investments Lufthansa has made in technology to automate this process and probably will make as incremental income licensing this technology to other airlines- I think the human touch at the moments that matter can pay unusually high dividends for zero capex.

N1003U Jan 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 22188546)
...this would be a small yet effective and relatively cost free way for Lufthansa to perform at a higher level than the competition and thus leverage their very best and most underutilized asset which is their excellent people...

...I think the human touch at the moments that matter can pay unusually high dividends for zero capex...

+1. Intelligent and well-trained people with some flexibility can work wonders...if they are allowed...and have some pride left in their work...

weero Jan 20, 2014 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 22187487)
Without wanting to get anyone in trouble, there are more than a few good souls at LH who will override this and put you on the earlier flight if there is space and if you have hand luggage only. It is not allowed, but it seems there is a way to make it happen (although I really doubt it will continue much longer as the flexibility to front line staff seems to be diminishing).

As much as I value your opinion - this happens because it is you and you are HON. Over the last 2 years, I had 5 weather incidents where catching the earlier feeder (which also always was delayed) would have solved the issue and not once did LH budge or show reason.

Originally Posted by N1003U (Post 22189401)
+1. Intelligent and well-trained people with some flexibility can work wonders...if they are allowed...and have some pride left in their work...

And have the systems of course.

While the attitutde outside of the lounges is still quite ok in ZRH, the staff can't do anything. You could as well ask a Delta or AirAsia agent to change your LH ticket ....

SMK77 Feb 7, 2014 3:09 am

Originally Posted by weero (Post 22190735)
As much as I value your opinion - this happens because it is you and you are HON. Over the last 2 years, I had 5 weather incidents where catching the earlier feeder (which also always was delayed) would have solved the issue and not once did LH budge or show reason.

HON doesn't mean anything these days: I remember arriving early for a flight to CDG from MUC and they charged me for taking the flight that departed an hour early. I changed and paid and was told onboard there was no breakfast for me and the purser explained to me that this was 'due to the fact I was a last minute upgrade from Economy'.

My total number of upgrades on LH to date is: zero.

N1003U Feb 7, 2014 4:36 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 22303249)
HON doesn't mean anything these days: I remember arriving early for a flight to CDG from MUC and they charged me for taking the flight that departed an hour early. I changed and paid and was told onboard there was no breakfast for me and the purser explained to me that this was 'due to the fact I was a last minute upgrade from Economy'.

My total number of upgrades on LH to date is: zero.

People who make up excuses for problems, particularly silly ones that are not true, irritate me as well. Sadly, I have experienced this more often in the past couple of years with LH.

In this sense, I actually prefer an SQ robot that smiles and says something incomprehensible-but-polite to an LH drone who makes something up on the fly.