Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Y meals in J today on OS 87 [reduced service in OS longhaul flights in December 13]

Y meals in J today on OS 87 [reduced service in OS longhaul flights in December 13]

Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Just landed in VIE after crossing the pot from JFK.
Very lame service OS. It also Eco affected by the cutting? No meal choice. Just chicken. Very disappointing service.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Andie007
Very lame service OS. It also Eco affected by the cutting? No meal choice. Just chicken. Very disappointing service.
Was the meal service unusually slow?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
That's quite a pot. Used to be an ocean or a pond for Aussies.
No meal choice. Just chicken. Very disappointing service.
That's disgusting. A chicken-only meal is not acceptable in my opinion.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:31 pm
mpk

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred, Hyatt Diamond
Can someone post a picture of the letter they received?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:56 pm

Of course the service is slowly an without choice: There are four (!) flight attendants (not robots!) for 260 people in economy.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:11 am

Had the same experience last night from IAD. Chicken was the only dinner entree. Breakfast was a blueberry muffin.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Super80
Of course the service is slowly an without choice: There are four (!) flight attendants (not robots!) for 260 people in economy.
Isn't the FAA minimum 1 per 50 seats?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
Had the same experience last night from IAD. Chicken was the only dinner entree. Breakfast was a blueberry muffin.
Curious where you were sitting... Were you in the back and they ran out of the other option or did they load ONLY chicken? I guess vegetarians can always request a special meal but it'd be nice to have a choice.

Just a muffin for breakfast is pretty disappointing.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by polandspringuy
Curious where you were sitting... Were you in the back and they ran out of the other option or did they load ONLY chicken? I guess vegetarians can always request a special meal but it'd be nice to have a choice.

Just a muffin for breakfast is pretty disappointing.
I was sitting in row 12, which is the second row from the front of Y. It appears they are loading only chicken.

The muffin was, unlike the muffins offered by other TATL carriers, a good muffin, but it was a far cry from OS's usual breakfast service.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 14940674
I was sitting in row 12, which is the second row from the front of Y. It appears they are loading only chicken.

The muffin was, unlike the muffins offered by other TATL carriers, a good muffin, but it was a far cry from OS's usual breakfast service.
Yep - I had exactly the same on my JFK-VIE route (chicken/muffin) - I was really disappointing. Also regarding the service - there were at a minimum 1 FA per 50 pax. Anyhow, I perceived a very unfriedly and annoyed service which I have not experienced on the past on my OS flights (and I am flying pretty often). Raising the argument that this is caused due to the current situation btw OS/LH and workers council is not a good one for me - OS has to ensure highest quality service which they are standing for - this is the reason why most of us select the airline as their carrier.
I assume that this (hopefully) short-term service adjustment will have major impact on the booking decision of frequent traveller.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Can anyone clarify as to whether J is still fully staffed on the 772? I've got multiple longhaul segments in the next two weeks including 2 between vie-nrt on the 772 (which was mentioned earlier as being exempt from cutbacks). Was just wondering if anyone had experienced this service in December in J.

While I am by no means an expert on European airline labor rules, the fact that this issue was known in early December and hasn't been resolved is quite amazing.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:31 pm

Don't you all understand?! Of course there is one FA per 50 Pax, but, as the workload in J is higher, there are only 3 (767) to 4(777) left over for the service in Y-Class. To reduce workload for the FAs, there is no choice catered (Special Meal and Do&Co a la carte possible to preorder), water put on the seat during boarding and just a muffin for breakfast. A normal service would not be possible with the nuber of FAs. An I think it's quite human that some of the FAs are kind of annoyed or overworked, isn't it? But for sure it is not intentionally. Boarding alone mustbe a horror for them. That's what I was told from an FA. All these cut backs will end with the new year, so just one more week to go.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Don't you all understand?! Of course there is one FA per 50 Pax, but, as the workload in J is higher, there are only 3 (767) to 4(777) left over for the service in Y-Class. To reduce workload for the FAs, there is no choice catered (Special Meal and Do&Co a la carte possible to preorder), water put on the seat during boarding and just a muffin for breakfast. A normal service would not be possible with the nuber of FAs. An I think it's quite human that some of the FAs are kind of annoyed or overworked, isn't it? But for sure it is not intentionally. Boarding alone mustbe a horror for them. That's what I was told from an FA. All these cut backs will end with the new year, so just one more week to go.
I don't think anyone blames the FAs - if there are fewer of them on board to service the same number of passengers, of course the expectation can't be "pedal faster".

How OS let this situation occur in the first place is utterly indefensible, and that's mostly why I am so wound up about this situation. It's not some unforeseeable circumstance, but rather the result of poor planning. They're meant to have a premium product, customers have paid for tickets having expected a premium product, and inept management at the airline has resulted in their inability to deliver.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: LH
It makes me wonder how this 'hands shortage' impacts the Smart bid upgrades. It's T-3 for my flight and I noticed no difference in loadout changes C vs Y.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:39 am

Don't you all understand?..
This is not how it works. The 1:50 is the minimum per cabin. Not some form of average.

Even if you delegate 14 FAs for the 8 seats in F, the 152 seat coach section will still require 4 FAs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.