Guangzhou
Calgary
Hyderabad
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa New/Cancelled Routes and Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The money charged to pax didn't cover the costs by far.
Do you have a bit more insights? I'm really curious. With oil price extra low, very minimal catering, and probably some freight picked up on the way, I don't see how, say, 800 EUR for one-way from Marocco or 2000 EUR from NZ are not covering the costs?
I mean, if they manage to make it work on say AMS-FRA-RBA for 300 EUR round-trip on commercial basis...?
I get it, planes had to fly half-empty, maybe a bit of extra crew spend. But surely 2x increase should have compensated for that? But in reality government had to pay ~200 EUR extra per pax? I'm confused...
Old May 4, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by maxvor
Do you have a bit more insights? I'm really curious. With oil price extra low, very minimal catering, and probably some freight picked up on the way, I don't see how, say, 800 EUR for one-way from Marocco or 2000 EUR from NZ are not covering the costs?
I mean, if they manage to make it work on say AMS-FRA-RBA for 300 EUR round-trip on commercial basis...?
I get it, planes had to fly half-empty, maybe a bit of extra crew spend. But surely 2x increase should have compensated for that? But in reality government had to pay ~200 EUR extra per pax? I'm confused...
Lets start with: if you were sitting in business class, you still paid the reduced fare. So it’s by no means 2x increase across the board. Also, flying one leg empty means you already need 2x just to break even (if regular fares are just at that).
Old May 4, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by daumueller
Lets start with: if you were sitting in business class, you still paid the reduced fare. So it’s by no means 2x increase across the board. Also, flying one leg empty means you already need 2x just to break even (if regular fares are just at that).
Let's compare it to commerical pricing currently available to be more specific, AMS-FRA-TLV and vv is 4 legs, currently priced at 360 EUR in business class. Ok, i get it, some people pay more for it. But still it's 4 legs compared to say FRA-TLV-FRA. Lo and behold, it's still >2x cheaper than lowest economy prices paid by repartiated pax. I'm sure on long-haul those seated in J paid more than 2K on flight from AKL, also catering most probably was somewhat basic. I'm still not convinced that LH can make AMS-TLV fares commerically viable, yet had to charge 1000 EUR including government copay for repatriation flights. Sonething doesn't feel right.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:12 pm

Let's even be more specific. Eurowings short-haul CASK excluding fuel in 2018 was EUR 0.066 with target to bring it to 0.052 by 2022 (let's take that last number as a proxy for LH itself - not precise, but as good and actual as we can get).
FRA-TLV-FRA would be ~6K km. That should bring operational costs of such a flight to 312 EUR per seat, excluding fuel. Given how cheap the fuel is atm, say, 400 EUR is the real operational costs. If the loads were even at 50% (which I doubt, most probably more like 60-70% with middle seat free) 800 EUR should be more than enough to cover everything. Airport and government taxes per one-way are definitely not more than 50 EUR. Throw there that flight to TLV would fly empty, so minimal costs (or maybe some auxiliary revenue from cargo).
Similar argument can be made about AKL flights, I'm sure CASK is even lower there, maybe at ~EUR 0.04, which with 36K km should be no more than 1450 EUR ex fuel.
Not sure what extra government subsity of 190 EUR per pax was actually for.
I do expect there was quite some commercial part to the deal, fair enough, LH is a private company. But then when coming to German government for help one should not be upset that government (representing taxpayers) also wants some commercial part or to become a shareholder.
I might be wrong of course, and we won't know the truth, but math tells me that something isn't right in that statement.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:42 pm

Well, I do not have inside knowledge on that, but afaik, we don’t know yet how much repatriation flights did cost for pax (some friends of mine got flown out of NZ and haven’t received the bill yet)

also, it’s no secret that LH operations cost are much higher than EW (for many reasons - one being: EW doesn’t do overnights). The NZ flights required multiple crews etc

also on fuel, LH hedged quite some fuel so they don’t pay the current low price

I am also sure that LH made money of these flights (rightfully so) but I doubt it was a fortune.
Old May 4, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Let's compare it to commerical pricing currently available to be more specific, AMS-FRA-TLV and vv is 4 legs, currently priced at 360 EUR in business class. Ok, i get it, some people pay more for it.
360 EUR is not the average price. That's the lowest. As long as one doesn't know the average price, it is useless to make any speculation if LH ripped off the government? In addition all aircraft had to be flown empty one-way.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:19 pm

Well, I do not have inside knowledge on that, but afaik, we don’t know yet how much repatriation flights did cost for pax (some friends of mine got flown out of NZ and haven’t received the bill yet)

also, it’s no secret that LH operations cost are much higher than EW (for many reasons - one being: EW doesn’t do overnights). The NZ flights required multiple crews etc

also on fuel, LH hedged quite some fuel so they don’t pay the current low price

I am also sure that LH made money of these flights (rightfully so) but I doubt it was a fortune.
If i were German government i wouldn't allow to pass hedge losses to customers of repatriated flights. I'm sure this particular question popped up in negotiations, and it's funny to see how LH management would want to see LH a commercial entity when it suits them, yet claiming to be of critical importance as demonstrated by reptriation effort.
I also don't have inside knowledge of course but i'm surely not impressed by arrogance and double standards of LH's handling of the crisis.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:28 pm

also, it’s no secret that LH operations cost are much higher than EW (for many reasons - one being: EW doesn’t do overnights).
that's actually an interesting point. Why would you say that? From what i would guess that would actually make LH way cheaper to operate from CASK point of view. Depreciation, extra maintanance need doesn't disappear if the plane is standing on the ground. Those are surely more expensive than keeping a crew in hotel at outstation overnight, no?
Old May 4, 2020, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH just hasn’t cancelled their flights beyond May, yet. They will though.
What is LH's planning horizon these days? How far out do they publish their adjusted/realistic schedule?
Old May 5, 2020, 12:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
that's actually an interesting point. Why would you say that? From what i would guess that would actually make LH way cheaper to operate from CASK point of view. Depreciation, extra maintanance need doesn't disappear if the plane is standing on the ground. Those are surely more expensive than keeping a crew in hotel at outstation overnight, no?
Comparing CASK of regular ops to a adhoc charter is a tad unfair, me thinks... the overflying rights for example to the destination itself are a significant factor. I recall from the LX SIN inaugural that the cost of overflying the various countries from ZRH to SIN for an A343 is 50000$ each way. The AKL missions were flown in two stages via HND & BKK with crew in layover while the aircraft went to AKL to pick up the stranded pax. Condor had a similar base in Thailand for its flights to Australia to pick up Germans. Ground handling in destinations that LH usually doesn't fly to are charged at list price, at one point they took along checkin staff, loaders and technicians to make sure the flight crew didn't time out due to slow turnarounds.
airoli, athome and Fabo.sk like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:11 am

Comparing CASK of regular ops to a adhoc charter is a tad unfair, me thinks... the overflying rights for example to the destination itself are a significant factor. I recall from the LX SIN inaugural that the cost of overflying the various countries from ZRH to SIN for an A343 is 50000$ each way. The AKL missions were flown in two stages via HND & BKK with crew in layover while the aircraft went to AKL to pick up the stranded pax. Condor had a similar base in Thailand for its flights to Australia to pick up Germans. Ground handling in destinations that LH usually doesn't fly to are charged at list price, at one point they took along checkin staff, loaders and technicians to make sure the flight crew didn't time out due to slow turnarounds.
I would assume overflying rights are somehow 'averaged' into CASK. Also it's not like LH was only repatriating from remote destinations. The point I was trying to make is that even though I appreciate that CASK provides for very conservative estimates of actual costs of such flights, the final numbers are low enough to add some slack to them so that 50 mln extra government spend wouldn't be necessary. That is of course if 800-2000 EUR is what actually going to be charged to passengers. Let's see what is going to be really printed in the bills - I won't be surprised if it's going to be ~20-30% lower than that. In such case I could see that 50mln subsidy might be needed.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
When can we expect the special flight schedule of LH/LX for July?
Old May 5, 2020, 1:32 pm

well, if EW would have higher ops cost - why would they take over leisure and domestic routes from LH.

btw, the LH planes still sit on the ground over night - just not at it’s base.
Old May 8, 2020, 6:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Doesn't look like they plan to restart any longhaul flights...

Lufthansa Group airlines to take off again with 160 aircraft from June - "June flight schedule" with 106 destinations will start next week published

• A total of 106 destinations will be flown to in June
  • Mallorca, Sylt and Crete back in the program
  • "Great desire and longing of people to travel again," says Harry Hohmeister
Starting in June, Lufthansa, Eurowings and SWISS will be offering monthly restart schedules to significantly more destinations in Germany and Europe than in the past few weeks. The repatriation schedules will thus end on 31 May.

A total of 80 aircraft will be reactivated with the "June timetable". This means that a total of 106 destinations can be served in the coming month. From 1 June, 160 aircraft will be in service with the Group's passenger airlines. The previously valid repatriation flight schedule was calculated to be flown with only 80 aircraft.

The Lufthansa Group's airlines are thus responding to the growing interest of customers in air travel, following the gradual easing of restrictions and limitations in the German federal states and entry regulations of other countries in Europe.

"We sense a great desire and longing among people to travel again. Hotels and restaurants are slowly opening, and visits to friends and family are in some cases being allowed again. With all due caution, we are now making it possible for people to catch up and experience what they had to do without for a long time. It goes without saying that the safety and health of our guests and employees are of the highest priority," says Harry Hohmeister, Member of the Executive Board of German Lufthansa AG.

Starting in June, numerous sunny destinations such as Mallorca, Sylt, Rostock and Crete will once again be accessible with the airlines of the Lufthansa Group. Further details of the "June flight schedule" will be published in the course of the coming week.

Customers are asked to take the current entry and quarantine regulations of the respective destinations into account when planning their trip. Throughout the entire trip, restrictions may be imposed due to stricter hygiene and security regulations, for example due to longer waiting times at airport security checkpoints. The catering services on board will also remain restricted until further notice.

The obligation to wear a mouth-nose cover on board introduced by the airlines of the Lufthansa Group on 4 May has been very positively received and accepted by guests. Customers will continue to be asked to wear a mask during the entire journey.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Doesn't look like they plan to restart any longhaul flights...
I hope they get restarted to India before the estimated date of United's flights - said to be 6/7 September 2020...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.