Kolkata
Guangzhou
Calgary
Hyderabad
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa New/Cancelled Routes and Changes

Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Peter Szekely
That's a bummer. I and my family are booked on the earlier flight on August 7 from LAX to FRA as we wanted to fly the 747-8. So if we still want to fly the -8, I guess we have to rebook the ticket to the evening flight. I am just concerned that what if Lufthansa changes that equipment type also? How likely is that?
Anything is possible, but unlikely that the second flight will be an A380 (just a personal guess)...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: Miles and More Senator
Smile

Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Anything is possible, but unlikely that the second flight will be an A380 (just a personal guess)...
That's what I am guessing as well, so I will go ahead and rebook. Can't wait to fly in the hump on the -8...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:02 am

Lufthansa to drop AUH

According to this article, the AUH route is to be suspended:

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unt...-a-997490.html
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AUH is getting nixed in the summer of 2015:
http://www.handelsblatt.com/unterneh.../10845834.html
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
EY has twice daily flights to FRA and a much better product, so LH won't be missed in AUH.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
could this be a bluff to support the reduction of AB-EY codeshares?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by kanor
could this be a bluff to support the reduction of AB-EY codeshares?
Potentially - the news came out after a meeting with German minister Dobrindt, but I doubt the route is very profitable for LH given competitive intensity. On top of the inferior hard product, the schedule is also atrocious (LH619 departs at 3:00 AM, EY has another flight in the morning).

The article quotes LH complaining that "the UAE airlines consciously shift flights to the middle east in an attempt to weaken European hubs". It's called competition, you know...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

EY & EK are currently maxing out their share of the UAE-Germany bilateral, and EY is trying to get AB to fly even more. EK has switched to super large widebodies on pretty much any flight they can. I doubt LH makes much money to/from the UAE. No big surprise. But of course its a great opportunity to use it as a publicity stunt
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:53 am

In a real fair competition, LH would not just have a really hard time against EK&Co, but they would wipe the floor with LH.

Only German & other states extreme protectionism is keeping LH and it's less-than-ideal management afloat. If the ME3 get proper 5th freedom (something that LH has in DXB, for example, with LX offering DXB-MCT) in Germany and Europe as a whole (not just the few MXP flights) then it would be truly fair. Right now, the ME3 are fighting with shorter swords yet have the advantage. Give them the same tools, and the likes of LH and AF will get crushed (won't hurt for their arrogant pilots and management..)
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:57 am

Didn't EK operate DXB-HAM-JFK for a while?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:08 am

Yes they did, I think the route got cancelled early 2007, ie a VERY long time ago in today's airline business, at at time when LH was doing very differently and didn't had SCOREd any loyalty from it's own frequent flyers yet and it was generally a different world, especially with the pace that EK is developing.

The MXP mini-hub is doing well from what I've seen (and heard personally from some EK staff there & inflight) with the lounge being almost as full as good old A26

Guess HAM-New York was WAY a too small route to operate with a relatively big bird, but be more sensible for something like a 787.

I guess with EasyJet cooperation, EK could fill some destinations with enough feeder traffic to make a hub to the US/Canada working in today's world.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:38 am

LH published this official line:

10/16/14
Lufthansa Group | Passenger Business
Abu Dhabi removed from 2015 summer flight plan

In recent years, considerable overcapacity has emerged on routes between Germany and the United Arab Emirates as a result of the massive expansion carried out by state-subsidised Gulf carriers.

This development has been accelerated partly because Etihad Airways (EY) has been able to offer and promote code share flights with Air Berlin during the last six flight plan periods unjustifiably. As a result of massive overcapacities, the route between Frankfurt and Abu Dhabi has become increasingly unprofitable for Lufthansa. Lufthansa now has to face the consequences and remove the route from the 2015 summer flight plan.

Every route that is cancelled in Germany also reduces the number of jobs in the German aviation sector. The value added will be shifted to the Gulf. This is another clear sign of what happens when unfair competitive environments reign.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:47 am

Seems the overcapacity only happens on LH group planes, as the ME3 have theirs filled just fine.

The last part is pure and utter garbage and is just confirming what my personal opinion of LH group has become in the last few years. Just continue that way, blame others for your own mistakes and close your eyes when you should adapt. I thought LH couldn't get worse when Franz was in charge, apparently Spohr is even worse.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Just continue that way, blame others for your own mistakes and close your eyes when you should adapt.
I guess they are playing their cards with German legislators. This seems like the best strategic move if they understand that the problems lie within the company and do their best internally to adapt, while simultaneously reaping the profits from their whining attitude.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Here is an article on the withdrawal from the route by business traveller:
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...from-abu-dhabi

Also, another article about the Etihad and Air Berlin code shares in Germany which were blocked and now allowed;

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...r-berlin-codes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.