Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa lounge at Newark [EWR] [closed till mid 2024]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Lufthansa lounge at Newark [EWR] [closed till mid 2024]

Just spoke with the dragon at EWR who said LH is opening new lounges at EWR this fall. They will be much more spacious (thank god!) and have better amenities supposedly. There will be a Business side and a Senator/First Class side. No idea if there will be anything extra for First like wining and dining at JFK. You can see the entrance in LH colors being built - it's where BA Terraces used to be. No idea what the fate of the existing Senator lounge or SAS lounge is. Maybe SAS will turn it into a Scandinavian Lounge?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by revigik
Just spoke with the dragon at EWR who said LH is opening new lounges at EWR this fall. They will be much more spacious (thank god!) and have better amenities supposedly. There will be a Business side and a Senator/First Class side. No idea if there will be anything extra for First like wining and dining at JFK. You can see the entrance in LH colors being built - it's where BA Terraces used to be. No idea what the fate of the existing Senator lounge or SAS lounge is. Maybe SAS will turn it into a Scandinavian Lounge?
this upgrade is way over due....it would be nice to see how the SEN lounge shapes up, my feeling is that they will have something similar to IAD lounge, not a true separate section for F/HON but maybe dinning on demand only for F pax
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: *A Gold (LH SEN), Hertz 5*
That would be awesome. Currently (as FTL) I dont have access to the Lounge at EWR so I usually rather use JFK even though its a bit more inconveinient to get there.

Did anyone hear dates through the grapevine when it opens?
Def looking forward to that, thanks for the info.

-Phipz
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

I think October/November.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Very good news. I have the impression that this lounge never changed since I first used it in 1992 (maybe some furniture change, but that's it).

So how will the Satellite look like? LH takes the spot of BA Terraces - SAS takes over the entire combined current LH/SK space - where will BA go?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:02 am

San Gottardo,

BA moved about a year ago in Terminal 2: Gate Area B2 (gates B51-57)
The new British Airways Galleries lounge for its first-class & Club World (business class) passengers & Executive Club Silver & Gold members is now near gates B50-58.

Long overdue change at Newark, the SEN lounge is a fishbowl. The dragon is friendly but inflexible when it comes to OP UPS ( especially for me as I shell out my own dime for P and rarely Z classes). All done by the book and I see - like everybody else does -one timers bumped up often...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
I will be flying LH F out of EWR later this month. The layover will be 3 hours. What lounge should I use in EWR?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:13 pm

FlyingExlorer:
Your best (and only) bet is to use the SEN/FIRST LH lounge in EWR terminal B. It is past security and adjacent to the SAS biz lounge. Do not expect great things out of it. Yes, champagne is in the bucket and the food offering although minimal (salad, cheese, prosciutto, cold cuts and pastries) has been enhanced with one soup and a poor lounge assistant passing through with ice cream every now and then.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by cricketrun
FlyingExlorer:
Your best (and only) bet is to use the SEN/FIRST LH lounge in EWR terminal B. It is past security and adjacent to the SAS biz lounge. Do not expect great things out of it. Yes, champagne is in the bucket and the food offering although minimal (salad, cheese, prosciutto, cold cuts and pastries) has been enhanced with one soup and a poor lounge assistant passing through with ice cream every now and then.
Ok, thanks! Sounds like I should save my appetite for the LH F flight instead.

How is the LH FCL at JFK? Unfortunately, *A doesn't serve JFK from IAH, so I would have to fly to LGA and taxi over there, which is probably not worth if EWR is available.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

FlyingExplorer- LH has a Business and Senator lounge at JFK. Upstairs they have a restaurant for First Class passengers called Wining and Dining which is catered by DO&CO. Supposedly very good!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Photos of JFK F-section. Cozy but nice (and private). Food good, but an early meal in a nice restaurant in NYC is also a good choice. One must mix with the SEN/*G riffraff below if one wants to shower before departure...

Behind the photographer is also a small cocktail/lounge area, but that is it.

May not be worth the hassle of a LGA-JFK transfer unless you want to spend a few hours in NYC first...

Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:40 am

FlyingExlorer

YEs, the F section in the LH lounge at JFK is modeled along the FCL in FRA but on a "mini" scale.
Service is excellent and food consistently good (thanks to Do&Co). Every now and then there is some naivete from the staff but these are definitely first world problems.
I like the quiet and relaxing atmosphere. Especially for the short Atlantic hop I like to dine on the ground and have caviar and bubbly on board before trying to sleep for some hours. Worth the LGA to JFK cab ride? it depends - if this is your first LH F experience then go for it. Especially if you are used to the ABYSMAL United Clubs you will feel like you have been lifted to another world and it could be a fun part of your trip
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:59 am

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

A waitlist to EWR cleared, so now my connection through EWR looks pretty good, so I will leave it at that.

Presumably, I will have access to the FCL in FRA before connecting on to BKK on TG. I'm not sure whether I will be able to bring a guest into the FCL. The guest only joins me in FRA but we will then be on the same TG flight.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by cricketrun
FlyingExlorer

Service is excellent and food consistently good (thanks to Do&Co).
Food is NOT catered anymore by Do&Co as of Jan 2013....in any case a very nice and calm place w outstanding staff....

f you don't have checked, it will be quick cab ride.....

if you want to avoid a cab ride (and make things more complicated) you could connect via IAD and fly directly into JFK
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by divjan
Food is NOT catered anymore by Do&Co as of Jan 2013....in any case a very nice and calm place w outstanding staff....

f you don't have checked, it will be quick cab ride.....

if you want to avoid a cab ride (and make things more complicated) you could connect via IAD and fly directly into JFK
Personally, I would take a LGA-JFK transfer vs a flight on a UX RJ2. One of the most uncomfortable I have ever flown!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.