Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misconnect LH, bought BA ticket, refund due?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:24 am

FYI: The return flight Canada-Asia on LH's ticket is most probably invalid now as well, as they missed their LHR-Canada flight a day later that they were automatically protected on.

Kudos to LH for helping them out - even though that family apparently f***d it up all by themselves..
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yep, you/they might want to contact the TA to sort out the auto cancellation of the remaining segments that should have happened when they no-showed in LHR.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:42 am

The only thing that doesn't add up is that they cannot have booked the BA flight after the son arrived at immigration, but more likely in anticipation of this happening.

The end result is still the same:
- $7,200 out of pocket
- return flights for the LH booking will likely be cancelled as a segment has been missed.

I would suggest writing to Lufthansa, and explaining what happened and asking that the return tickets are reinstated and the BA fare is refunded. Maybe supporting your argument is under EU regulations they should have been booked on the next available flight, but in practice this means next available own company flight and may not apply to missed connections (in the text it only applies to cancellations).

Good luck!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Rus925

Nope. TA now claims to have told them about the different connecting flights, but they were taking notes when they bought the tickets and had no notes about different connections. For context: the four of them were split over three different reservations because of different return dates. There were two FRA-LHR flights leaving that same hour, and it sounds like the TA just picked the wrong one for the one kid without verifying the flight number. Also surprised the check-in agent didn't notice it since they all checked in together, but was probably only looking carefully at the BPs Asia-FRA.

Thanks all for the help!! ^
Typical Asian TA response.

Last edited by tentseller; Sep 11, 2013 at 6:11 am
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
The only thing that doesn't add up is that they cannot have booked the BA flight after the son arrived at immigration, but more likely in anticipation of this happening.

The end result is still the same:
- $7,200 out of pocket
- return flights for the LH booking will likely be cancelled as a segment has been missed.

I would suggest writing to Lufthansa, and explaining what happened and asking that the return tickets are reinstated and the BA fare is refunded. Maybe supporting your argument is under EU regulations they should have been booked on the next available flight, but in practice this means next available own company flight and may not apply to missed connections (in the text it only applies to cancellations).

Good luck!
The only thing I can see is that LH might be reinstating the return flights - but then already, LH has helped them a lot by allowing to fly them FRA-LHR AND also rebooking them for free on the next day AC-flight. LH already went way beyond what they would/should have done - maybe they will further stretch themselves and reinstate the return, but asking LH to pay the BA tickets just because the family went crazy and must have fully stopped thinking for quite a while in LHR? DEFINITELY NOT!

Just think of it.. sure, you can go crazy in such a situation - but even the most unfamiliar traveller would think:

Hey, I missed my flight, who am I going to ask for help?

A) TA: Possibly - couldn't do much in this situation, but would most probably advise #B
B) The airline that the ticket was booked upon: Lufthansa has for sure counters in LHR
C) The airline that they were supposed to fly: Air Canada, also for sure having counters, probably be told to go to the LH counters there.

So, in any way, going to the LH counters would be the only logical explanation of even the most unfamiliar traveller would do. Certainly not rushing to the next BA counter (How did they know there was a later BA flight, anyway?) and putting 7000 quid on the table.. going to LH was the only logical thing to do, even if you went fully crazy...

edit: By the way, if they try to play hardball with EU reg, then LH will most probably tell them to get lost, and that their returns are now "gone" as well. They (at least 3 of them) did a proper no-show in FRA. If LH wanted to, they could have just left them stranded there already.. so, there goes your "EU reg"..
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
FYI: The return flight Canada-Asia on LH's ticket is most probably invalid now as well, as they missed their LHR-Canada flight a day later that they were automatically protected on.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yep, you/they might want to contact the TA to sort out the auto cancellation of the remaining segments that should have happened when they no-showed in LHR.
The segments still appear at LH.com and checkmytrip.com, despite it having been a week since this happened. Quite possible LH stopped the auto-cancel at LHR when they waitlisted them for the following day's AC flight.

Originally Posted by 8420PR

Good luck!
Thanks!

Question: anyone familiar with the conformance rules at LHR? NewbieRunner mentioned them a while back. If they were improperly turned away at security—and there should be a record of the time they arrived because they scan boarding passes—could they have recourse with LHR? Alternatively, is it possible AC preemptively cancelled their xLHR flight due to protection/waitlist/less-than-MCT arrival, and that's what caused the denial at security?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rus925
The segments still appear at LH.com and checkmytrip.com, despite it having been a week since this happened. Quite possible LH stopped the auto-cancel at LHR when they waitlisted them for the following day's AC flight.
I wouldn't be so certain.

Question: anyone familiar with the conformance rules at LHR? NewbieRunner mentioned them a while back. If they were improperly turned away at security—and there should be a record of the time they arrived because they scan boarding passes—could they have recourse with LHR? Alternatively, is it possible AC preemptively cancelled their xLHR flight due to protection/waitlist/less-than-MCT arrival, and that's what caused the denial at security?
No, I'm not familiar with this stupid rule and thought it was something BA had invented but it looks like it's spreading to the rest of LHR "following the success of Ready to Fly (BA's brand name for conformance) at T5". Another reason to avoid LHR.

This is what BA says about conformance at T5.

Check in and clear security at least 35 minutes before your flight
Important information:
  • You must pass through check-in no later than 45 minutes before your flight.
  • You must have entered Security at least 35 minutes before your flight departs.
  • You must be at your boarding gate at least 20 minutes before your flight departs.
  • If you do not meet these times, you will not be allowed on to your flight.
I would have missed many connecting flights in FRA, MUC and ZRH if these airports operated a similar rule.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by warakorn
..This kid was put into prison by Canadian Immigration. This must have been horrible.
I absolutely love this auto-extension of the story ... beats the spell checker of my phone by a fair bit!

Part 2 probably contains death row and werewolves for the little one.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I absolutely love this auto-extension of the story
Entering Canada without a valid visa could land a traveller in immigration detention.
The OP said the kid was allowed by immigration to stay airside. Is that possible in Canada?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
The whole story is more and more complicated... I smell something fishy...
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Entering Canada without a valid visa could land a traveller in immigration detention.
How? At the very worst they send you back and fine the carrier.

I still love the assertive story!
The OP said the kid was allowed by immigration to stay airside. Is that possible in Canada?
I only know YVR really well. The airport is 24h in operation and has plenty of offerings, so you could really live there for a long time.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 6:17 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
What I don't understand: why did the kid board the flight knowing that his entire family didn't show up at the gate? I would have talked to the gate agents. If they were smart, they'd check his visa status and don't let him board unless the rest of his family shows up.

HTB.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by htb
What I don't understand: why did the kid board the flight knowing that his entire family didn't show up at the gate? I would have talked to the gate agents. If they were smart, they'd check his visa status and don't let him board unless the rest of his family shows up.
The family did show up at the gate ... just not on the plane ...

Does a GA do visa checks?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by weero
The family did show up at the gate ... just not on the plane ...

Does a GA do visa checks?
Yes the GA has to check whether the BP has the airline's "DOCS OK" stamp, if not, do a full passport check as part of the boarding ID check.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A few items:

1. Forget about EU 261/2004 or any other contractual compensation. The family noshowed for a segment at FRA. Presumably the inbound from Asia was on-time and thus there was no LH-caused misconnect. At that point, LH could simply have cancelled the onward and told 3 of the 4 family that they were SOL and, if they wished to travel anywhere, they would need to purchase new tickets. Instead, LH reacommodated the 3 tardy family members. That is an acommodation not required by law or contract.

2. The child who made his flight xLHR apparently had a valid visa and would therefore have passed document checks at LHR. The issue is that Canada requires his sponsor, e.g. mother, to be present with him at time of admission. Extraordinarily unlikely that AC gets fined because its sole responsibility is the document check. Had the mother never shown up, the child, depending on age, would either have been: 1) treated as a refugee; 2) issued some form of temporary visa; or 3) excluded and returned (with a fight between AC and the government as to who pays).

2. Notwithstanding what one sees online, there is a distinct likelihood that LH's systems have or will eventually cancel the family members' tickets. That needs to be fixed, if it can be, with a call to LH. Clearly the family has a tendency to be a bit lacadaisical about travel logistics, so assuring that all is well is something which OP can do for his family with one of them on the line.

3. I find it weird that a person traveling on LH and connecting to AC would go to a BA ticket counter for assistance. There might be a dispute between LH and AC as to whether either or both carriers had some duty to the family, but BA simply sees them as walk-up pax and sells them a walk-up ticket.

4. While it's always possible that AC might have taken pity on the family, it's hard to ask BA to do anything for someone who missed a flight on another carrier and voluntarily purchased the BA segment. While I appreciate that there was some urgency to get to Canada because it would be disconcerting to anyone who have one family member in the air and because the mother may have known that she needed to be present, none of this is known to BA and AC had no chance to do the right thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.