Search
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eefor jfp
LH since 2008

First:
"D" de Devaux Brut oder "Rare" Piper-Heidsieck
Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top
2010 Laurent Perrier Brut, (oder Perrier Jouet Grand Brut)
Louis Roederer Brut Millésimé
2011 : Champagne Louis de Sacy Grand Cru Brut
2010 & 2011: 2000 Champagne Laurent-Perrier Millésimé
2012: "D" de Devaux Brut und Laurent Perrier Brut
2013 occassionally 1999 Cuvee Louise, Champagne Pommery
May 2013 (revamp F service) : Taittinger Grand Cru Brut Prelude
September 2013: 2005 Comtes de Champagne Taittinger or Champagne Alfred Gratien
April 2014: 1995 Blanc des Millenaires Champagne, Charles Heidsieck,
April 2015: 2007 Champagne Taittinger Brut Millésimé, Champagne Taittinger
May 2015: 2007 Vintage Brut, Champagne Louis Roederer
May 2015: 1999 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery
August 2015: Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Grand Sičcle
June 2016: 2007 Taittinger Millésime
July 2016: 2002 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery
December 2016: Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Grand Sičcle
March 2017: 1998 Cuvée des Enchanteleurs, Champagne Henriot, Frankreich
June 2017: 2003 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery
July 2017: Cuvée Grand Sičcle, Champagne Laurent-Perrier, Frankreich
August 2017: Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Brut Rose 2006
September 2017: Alfred Gratien Cuvée Paradis
Novenber 2017: 2007 Taittinger Brut Millésimé
February & March 2018: Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery 2003 (actually one flight was 2002 though menu shows 2003)
May 2018: 1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires
June 2018: Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Grand Sičcle
September 2018: Jahrgangschampagner Cuvée Louise, Pommery
July 2019: Henriot 2000; Laurent Perrier Alexandra Rose 2004; Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle
January 2020: 2004 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery, Henriot 2000
February 2020: 2004 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery, Henriot 2006
October 2021:
2004 Cuvée Louise, Champagne Pommery, Laurent Perrier Alexandra Rose 2004 (on the wine card but not stocked; replaced with Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle)

Business:
Jacquart Brut Mosaique
Piper Heidsieck Brut
seit mai 2013 Champagne Duval Leroy Brut
May 2014: Champagne de Castelnau Brut Réserve, Frankreich

LH Group:
Austrian: Duval-Leroy Fleur de Champagne Brut
Brussels: Laurent Perrier Brut
Swiss: Laurent-Perrier Grand Sičcle (First)

Others:
TG & SQ Dom 99
NH Krug
JL Champagne Salon

Print Wikipost

Wine & Champagne in Lufthansa First?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: LH Sen
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
Fully agreed. ^

However, I can understand that the Vodka drinkers would prefer the Goose over a terrible Red Smirnoff - although I never drink spirits in the air myself.

What I don't understand is the red wine discussion here about prices versus quality. Every real wine expert knows that price and quality are not in a real relation. There are excellent wines available for 20$ to 30$ which would not be identified as "cheapos" in blind tastings in comparison to 100$ or 400$ bottles.
It's about the status symbol and getting "the best". I am not saying that this is my reasoning but I speculate some see it that way.

If you have to travel from IAD to FRA non-stop commercial LH First Class is the best, so when you choose the best metal you expect the best everything. If one is accustomed or expects "the best" then a $10 bottle of red wine in First Class, no matter how good, is an insult.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ukiechris
If one is accustomed or expects "the best" then a $10 bottle of red wine in First Class, no matter how good, is an insult.
Maybe it is all about managing expectations..... I am accustomed to the best and maybe that is why I dont care what wine they are serving during a flight. I have plenty of other opportunities to enjoy great wines and outstanding food.
S
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
Their food and wine is certainly better than what LH offers, but as mentioned I don't care and it is not a deciding factor for me. Maybe I am dining and wining to well on most days of the week and I am just spoiled.
S
Great! Given the fact that you don't care, would you mind that others in First Class are still expecting that the airline is putting at least some effort into offering some sort of 'decent' food?

I often don't eat on board but when I do, I want the airline to do their best in given difficult circumstances. NH and SQ are doing a better job than LH for sure and I find it sometimes funny how much praise LH gets because of their 'fancy' menus. Once the ideas of the star chefs have passed the controllers, it's pretty sad what ends up on the plate. Of course there are other airlines that do worse than LH (e.g. BA) but then they are not intending to offer a 'real' First Class to begin with.

LH's problem was that they were not even willing to spend 10$ on a bottle of red wine and they have changed that with their service improvements in May for the better. I have seen wine and champagne onboard crossing the 100$ mark and I think that was a good decision.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SMK77
Great! Given the fact that you don't care, would you mind that others in First Class are still expecting that the airline is putting at least some effort into offering some sort of 'decent' food?

I often don't eat on board but when I do, I want the airline to do their best in given difficult circumstances. NH and SQ are doing a better job than LH for sure and I find it sometimes funny how much praise LH gets because of their 'fancy' menus. Once the ideas of the star chefs have passed the controllers, it's pretty sad what ends up on the plate. Of course there are other airlines that do worse than LH (e.g. BA) but then they are not intending to offer a 'real' First Class to begin with.

LH's problem was that they were not even willing to spend 10$ on a bottle of red wine and they have changed that with their service improvements in May for the better. I have seen wine and champagne onboard crossing the 100$ mark and I think that was a good decision.
Yes SQ's food and wine is better, but their seat on the 77W are significantly worse than what LH offers (even in the old A330/40). Easy choice for me, I prefer to fly LH.

Anyhow it is a free market, if people don't like the offering why do they still fly LH. Love it, change it or leave it...... If enough PAYING F passengers move away from LH, I am sure they will react. I believe however that most of the folks that are complaining are using their FF miles (often collected on UA metal) or other upgrade instruments......And if they have the choice between UA F and LH F the decision is not very difficult for most.
S
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
After a couple of flights with the excellent Taittinger CdC, it seems LH is down to just the Alfred Gratien Cuvee Paradis, which is costing LH all of 40 EUR a bottle

LH say Alfred Gratien was chosen in a blind tasting, for quality.....

Alfred Gratien is produced by Gratien & Mayer who just by coincidence produce the Cremant LH serves in NEK......

The Cremant served in NEK is described in English in the J menu as 'Champagne'
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ukiechris
It's about the status symbol and getting "the best". I am not saying that this is my reasoning but I speculate some see it that way.
Bingo. The entire point of Grey Goose is snob appeal.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfin...eatures/10816/

As for what happens when you don't see the bottle...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/dining/26wine.html

And when you do see the bottle...

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2008/j...ne-011608.html
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Bingo. The entire point of Grey Goose is snob appeal.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfin...eatures/10816/

As for what happens when you don't see the bottle...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/dining/26wine.html

And when you do see the bottle...

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2008/j...ne-011608.html
I hope you're not comparing this to which Champagne is served in F.

Vodka is Vodka. Champagne is a living breathing thing. Worlds apart – IMHO.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ste-tests.html

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ience-analysis

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...ap-plonk-taste

That being said, you like what you like, and de gustibus non est disputandum, etc.

I have to say that I don't like cheap sparkling wine...
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:48 am

bummer...

... i wish this thread would have stayed cold; now we will have to read another dozen or so times about how frequently DWF-SEN is flying in F !
( and, of course, about it won't matter whether the fa puts sugar or salt in your coffee when travelling 40.000 ft high..)

Last edited by sunseeker; Oct 20, 2013 at 5:54 am
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:02 am

They should keep a Standard, like SQ, they always have Dom Perignon and Krug.

Last year in 10+ flights ex FRA, was every time different Champagnes, and some low quality ones, others where nice to try but I prefer SQ Standards

Last edited by carenero; Oct 20, 2013 at 11:18 am
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The other day on FRA-SEA we finished 3 bottle of Alfred Gratien in one flight. By we I mean a cabin of 8, of which 1-2 had only the starter glass, eightblack, who normal drinks SQ and EK stuff liked it (a lot). Either it tastes really good or we did the other CW out there a service by trying to consume the vile stuff asap
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:02 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The other day on FRA-SEA we finished 3 bottle of Alfred Gratien in one flight. By we I mean a cabin of 8, of which 1-2 had only the starter glass, eightblack, who normal drinks SQ and EK stuff liked it (a lot).
It must have been the company. Did you enjoy it so much you turned around and flew back to SEA? What happened to Taittinger which should have been available (according to the menu at least)?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
The other day on FRA-SEA we finished 3 bottle of Alfred Gratien in one flight. By we I mean a cabin of 8, of which 1-2 had only the starter glass, eightblack, who normal drinks SQ and EK stuff liked it (a lot). Either it tastes really good or we did the other CW out there a service by trying to consume the vile stuff asap
Fabulous
eightblack was indeed performing a service, as usual ^
Since Alfred Gratien Cuvee Paradis is allegedly limited to 250 k bottles it must run out sometime...... sooner the better
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It must have been the company. Did you enjoy it so much you turned around and flew back to SEA? What happened to Taittinger which should have been available (according to the menu at least)?
My bad, it was SEA-FRA. It must have killed some brain cells.

The menu said Gratien, no Tattinger.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
My bad, it was SEA-FRA. It must have killed some brain cells.
Gratien was that bad?

The menu said Gratien, no Tattinger.
The menu on the way out a few days earlier listed both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.