Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revamp of IFE for LH/LX/OS starting in 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:34 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I just read a recent trip report with link in F on the 747 and he complained that the IFE was really poor in terms of the selection. I was under the impression with the new systems across the fleet long haul that this was significantly improved? Thinking of booking an F seat and use the IFE quite a bit so I am a bit concerned.
Flying in F and using the IFE a lot? Seems like a waste of money/miles.

If your language of choice is not English (or German) LH's IFE has a better selection of programmes than many other airlines. You can find what's on offer yourself here.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Flying in F and using the IFE a lot? Seems like a waste of money/miles.

If your language of choice is not English (or German) LH's IFE has a better selection of programmes than many other airlines. You can find what's on offer yourself here.
Why would using the IFE a lot be a "waste" of money/miles? If anything I would think it would be the opposite. I am thinking of switching my SQ flight to LH (JFK) but on the fence about it as I have never flown either airline before but would like to try the FCT. The LH selection seems pretty good to me when I looked it up. Don't see what people are complaining about it. It seems in line with other European airlines IFE. Of course it would be nice if it was like SQ or any of the ME3 carriers but it seems more than adequate on the panasonic.

Last edited by ASUDan130; Sep 20, 2015 at 3:32 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
I an additional twist, LH is going for the Panasonic ex3 IFE system for the A359. RAVE is not available as linefit for the A350 in TLS yet, the only choice was Thales and Panasonic. Probably based on the bad experiences with ex2 they went for the ex3.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

The RAVE systems on A343/A346/A330/B744 just got a revamp in the interface which was rolled out during the latest content update. The ex2 on B748/A380 doesn't have the update (yet?). The ex3 on the A359 will feature the possibility to prepare your own playlist on an app in advance and synch it onboard.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:25 pm

Do all the a330s have the rave system now

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The RAVE systems on A343/A346/A330/B744 just got a revamp in the interface which was rolled out during the latest content update. The ex2 on B748/A380 doesn't have the update (yet?). The ex3 on the A359 will feature the possibility to prepare your own playlist on an app in advance and synch it onboard.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
milesbboy10 - all the A330s have had Rave retrofitted for a few years now, with the exception of D-AIKP/Q/R/S which were delivered later and came with Panasonic eX2 direct from the factory.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: LX SEN
There is a bluetooth function on the a330 IFE, but I was never able to connect my devices. Anyone succesfull?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, you need to download the app from the Apple AppStore (free) and be connected to Flynet.
Quite a cool feature.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

The B748 will replace their Panasonic ex2 with a newer version in the cabin retrofit:

May 19, 2022 – Panasonic Avionics Corporation (Panasonic Avionics) has been selected by Lufthansa to provide its NEXT in-flight entertainment (IFE) system and enhanced connectivity solutions for the carrier’s flagship Boeing 747-8 fleet.

Panasonic Avionics’ NEXT IFE system will be retrofitted on Lufthansa’s 19 Boeing 747-8s, with the first due to be rolled out in summer 2024.

This higher performance system will provide Lufthansa’s passengers with a superior, immersive cinematic experience using the latest 4K screen technology, with faster network speeds and higher storage capacity.

Business Class passengers will enjoy an enhanced IFE experience with up to 24-inch 4K screens, a large 10-inch additional control unit, high power USB–A / USB-C, AC power and wireless charging capabilities. Premium Economy Class passengers will experience an upgraded 16-inch 4K screen, with a 13-inch 4K screen for Economy Class passengers, both with high power USB-A and USB-C charging.

The companies also announced the renewal of connectivity services offered by Panasonic Avionics. Broadband connectivity, which is already installed on Lufthansa widebody aircraft, uses Panasonic Avionics’ global network of high-speed, high-bandwidth satellites to live up to the connectivity expectations of Lufthansa’s passengers. Mobile phone connectivity will also be upgraded to 4G speeds on Lufthansa’s 747-8 aircraft.
https://www.panasonic.aero/press-rel...for-its-787-8/

I guess this means the B748 retrofit to the new C will happen in 2024-
Old May 19, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The B748 will replace their Panasonic ex2 with a newer version in the cabin retrofit:

https://www.panasonic.aero/press-rel...for-its-787-8/

I guess this means the B748 retrofit to the new C will happen in 2024-
Curious what F will look like after the refit! the IFE is frustratingly slow and the screens too small. Any chance we'll see a new F seat coming (similar to the a359)? Or perhaps moving in the direction of the 744 with a 3-cabin configuration
Old May 19, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by theKrafty1tar
Curious what F will look like after the refit! the IFE is frustratingly slow and the screens too small. Any chance we'll see a new F seat coming (similar to the a359)? Or perhaps moving in the direction of the 744 with a 3-cabin configuration
Doesn’t sound great for F. The current IFE is an embarrassment.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
Originally Posted by vantage03
Doesn’t sound great for F. The current IFE is an embarrassment.
LH has already miscalculated itself with F by getting rid of too much capacity. We will see F stay in the 748 and given the planes will stay for a while they will then also upgrade F during the refit with new seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.