LOT 787 experience reports [merged]

Old Jan 28, 18, 11:38 am

Programs: LH FTL; LCAH Platinum
The charter flights have much lower prices than regular flights, but you need to keep in mind that the service on charter flights is not up to the standard of regular flights (food in C/Y+ more alike to regular longhaul economy, no lounge access, probably no priority security) and no *A privileges apply, and no miles can be earned nor spent on them. So you basically pay for a C or Y+ seat, priority boarding and an included meal service (economy charter has a buy-on-board service).

Last edited by marcoos; Jan 28, 18 at 11:46 am
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:36 pm
TPJ
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
BTW... there was an announcement (cannot find a link, will try tomorrow on my laptop - have only access to smartphone now) that complimentary beer & wine in Y will be restored on TATL flights. The Far East flights already have beer & wine served on complimentary basis.

Link here; http://www.pasazer.com/news/37387/lo...,i,kanady.html (in Polish, use Chrome for translation) - apparently wine/beer was already re-introduced back in December.

Last edited by TPJ; Jan 29, 18 at 7:33 am Reason: link added
Old Jan 29, 18, 4:38 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, KE Skypass, DL SkyMiles, Starwood
Originally Posted by Airhaiku View Post
According to photos, videos and other promotional material as well as some passengers descriptions i got the idea that LOTpremium eco product is very good, especially compared to their economy class but also to other airlines Apart from comfy seats, food and beverage business like presentation,, dedicated flight attendant, economy premium product even on short haul connection flights, seem to make a difference to other airlines.
Can someone who have travelled write some of their impressions, as I might book the new flight to Singapore which has relatively attractive prices?
Does anyone know how is it possible to book their charter flights and whether business and premium on these flights have good prices?
In 2017, I flew several segments of long-haul LO premium economy (exclusively LO 003/004 between WAW and ORD), as well as a mix of short haul LO/LH between WAW and FRA. For whatever reason, on many of the dates I needed to travel, LH pricing was way out of line, so I chose to take the detour via WAW on LO.

In my experience, the LO Y+ service is definitely a step above economy, the seat is bearable (a dedicated AC power supply and reasonable table is really nice), and the catering is basically business catering served on one tray. The beverage selections are also a step up. In a couple of cases on the LO short-haul connecting flight, as a premium economy passenger, I was seated in front of the premium curtain and served a C meal (not the case on the LH flight--standard Y treatment there). In one instance, when the LO feeder arrived at a bus gate, the premium economy pax were invited to join the business class passengers in a separate shuttle to the terminal, while the economy passengers waited and eventually herded onto a crowded bus.

That said, premium economy is not really a true luxury experience, either (though the few cm of extra width and recline vs. economy are appreciated). However, at the prices sometimes offered, it is an easy decision to go with LO premium economy vs. normal economy.

In my opinion and experience, LO premium economy is a nice step up from regular economy for not a lot more money (if you are a bit flexible with travel dates and can plan month or more in advance, the prices can be really good). I did fly a few business segments on the same route, and it was of course quite nice, but the value proposition for LO premium economy is for me hard to beat.

If the choice to SIN is economy or premium economy, I would not even hesitate to spend a bit more for premium economy. I have not tried premium economy service for a flight that long, but I don't know of any economy experience over such a stretch that would be less than agony for my aging body.

Also: if you are originating elsewhere, WAW is an easy airport to transit, and PLN29 for a liter of premium vodka in the duty free is to me a great bargain.
whiskey_sk and hugolover like this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 4:51 am

Programs: Flying blue
Thank you N1003U, very nice and detailed report. It was most helpful. I am still thinking of booking SIN orPEK or ICN which have even better prices. The only problem is that I visited both PEK and ICN in recent years!
iI am really interested in trying this product which seems better than PE on other airlines especially in food segment and premium seating on short haul connecting flights
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott LT Ti & Ambassador, UA Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Uber Diamond
I'm flying J on the 787 JFK-WAW. I'm a vegetarian and wondering if there are typically vegetarian selections available, or if I should preorder a special meal. My experience in J on other airlines was that special meals are catered the same as economy (bad quality).
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN
LOT serves most hearty rustic cuisine in C that caters to the central European palate. If you order a special meal you should get a business class level meal. If you don't like what they serve you can always add things from the general menu that fit your dietary needs.

https://www.lot.com/de/en/special-meal
N1003U likes this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 11:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Ti & Ambassador, UA Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Uber Diamond
Completed my first trip on the 787 in 4C.
  • The flight was delayed considerably, with no reason given. The plane was on the ground well in advance. The flight attendants and pilots did not show up until close to the boarding time. Boarding was delayed ~45 minutes. We didn’t take off until almost 1.5 hours after scheduled departure.
  • The boarding process wasn’t great. There were a large number of people who cut the business class line for some unknown reason. They were allowed to bypass the line and stand next to the podium before boarding started. Most of them were not even sitting in business class (and no, it was not elderly or disabled passengers or families, they were in a separate line)
  • Food & drink service was good and attentive. My glass was never empty.
  • The flight attendants didn’t make up beds or even offer to.
  • Vegetarian meal was good (not great). Started with salad and sautéed vegetables, then a grain dish (quinoa?) with cauliflower. Normal selection from the dessert cart.
  • The wine selection seemed nice, but I am not a wine expert.
  • I am not a huge fan of the 2-2-2 configuration to begin with, but these seats offer almost no privacy. If you sleep on your side, you will see your neighbor.
  • The seat has almost no storage, which is frustrating. You either have your stuff down by your feet, or are constantly getting things out of the overhead bin.
  • The lights were turned on for breakfast service with 1:45 remaining in the flight and they stayed on.
  • Given the above, if you have the dinner meal service on the flight, you probably end up with 3 hours where you can sleep on a nearly 8 hour flight.
The cost was ~30% cheaper than LH, so it’s still a decent value, if you’re paying for it.

I connected to a Dash-8 flight WAW-PRG and was surprised that it also had “business class” - never seen such a thing. Also can’t remember being served a full meal on a flight that short. Try getting an American flight attendant to do a full drink service on a flight that long.
Old Apr 11, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: TK Elite / *G ; AY Gold / One World Sapphire; Sixt PT
My experience on a round trip to Beijing with LOT Business Class was rather positive, unlike newbiztraveler's.

Where my experience differed:
At boarding staff was very rigorously enforcing the premium first rule. There was a separate row and people who didn't qualify got turned away.
The seat gives sufficient privacy. No way you can see your neighbour if you want to avoid it. I didn't see him/her (can't remember), and I didn't even put up the divider armrest, which would have completely shut them out. I found here is plenty of storage space at your feet - much more than with other airlines. The outbound flight was a night flight, so I skipped food altogether.

Now, on the plus side:
- Very friendly cabin crew - leaving me in peace when I wanted to but very quick and attentive to any requests. They plied me with alcohol on the return flight (same crew).
- Airy cabin, with relaively few business seats. High ceiling and not too many plastic dividers. Aisle access for all seats except window seats.
- Good wines, including at least one Polish one, adding to the experience.
- The amenity kit had socks
- The sleeping surface was fully flat with no appreciable ridges or bumps (unlike Garuda's) - a good thing too because there were no matresses (cf Air New Zealand) or padded covers (cf Turkish) on hand.
- Stopover at WAW is very pleasant. It's relatively easy to get in and out of the aiport at your convenience.
- Good selection of recent movies
- The 2-2-2 seating allows couples to properly travel together

On the minus side:
- The bed was too short (I'm 1m90) - and shorter than seatguru led me to believe. While I can sleep belly down flat out in Turkish' 2-3-2 cabins (which look similar), I couldn't even stretch out on my back in LOT's seat. There must be a good 10-15 cm difference. That kind of killed it for me, as I had a very demanding two-day programme straight on arrival. Since I like to arrive well-rested and get straight to business, I probably won't chose LOT again for such trips, regrettably.
- My bag didn't receive a priority tag upon check-in (Brussels), which made it arrive very late on the belt in Beijing.
- My return flight PEK-WAW was about 45 mins late. Somehow the plane didn't manage to make up a late start in PEK. Other airlines usually manage. Maybe LOT is more honest/tight in their schedules?
- The return flight was a day flight (8h45-12h10), yet we got served dinner and then lights went out / windows went dark. Fortunately I had a window seat so I could let some light back in (and yes, all three windows operate in sync, weirdly). I would have much preferred having a big breakfast instead. Really, sunlight is best at resetting one's internal clock. No idea why they chose to turn the whole cabin into a dark bunker mid-day. If you're like me, pick a window seat during day flights.
- The inflight entertainmen system's map views respond only to touchscreen input (and the screen is very much out of reach when you're sitting down)
Old Apr 12, 19, 11:53 pm
TPJ
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Thanks for updates newbiztraveler and FEasy

I think this sums up LO experience: some inconsistencies but overall OK'sh service & product. Short delays happen frequently, but at least there is proper champagne in the Elite (long haul J/SEN/*G) lounge (which is in Schengen area - non-Schengen lounge has only proseco).
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:20 am

Took LOT26 back from WAW-JFK. Experience:
  • Used the business class lounge outside passport control, which was fairly busy.
  • Boarding experience was a little bit more controlled. People were turned away for being in the wrong line for business class. Economy boarding looked more like Hunger Games.
  • Separate jetbridge for business class in Warsaw was nice.
  • Pre-departure champagne, juice, or water
  • No one offered to take my coat, despite multiple FAs walking back and forth, and me holding it very obviously in my lap. Finally, when one of the FAs was passing out newspapers, after we pushed back and were going to the runway, I asked if she could hang it, and she did.
  • Canapé was the same as ex-JFK, a toothpick with some veggies (for VGML). Standard looked to be something with fish & caviar
  • Overall VGML catering seemed slightly better ex-WAW than ex-JFK
  • Service was worse than ex-JFK. Last drink order never came (port during dessert). Flight attendants completely disappeared after dinner service was completed, never to be seen until breakfast. Not what I've seen with other carriers, with FAs walking around with water, tea, coffee, checking in. Just completely hiding in the galley until breakfast.
  • Cabin lights were turned off after dinner. Passengers controlled their own windows and most were dimmed, although one left theirs open for quite a while.
  • Again, no offer to make the bed.
  • Lights again came on with 1:45 left in the flight, windows were all opened.
  • Only one jetbridge in JFK, but the FAs blocked economy until business class was off the plane.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:41 am
TPJ
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by newbiztraveler View Post
  • Used the business class lounge outside passport control, which was fairly busy.
Hopefully you went to the Elite Lounge which has elevated F&B (including Nicolas Feuillatte champagne). Long haul J passengers have access.

Originally Posted by newbiztraveler View Post
  • Again, no offer to make the bed.
This is not an advertised service...
FEasy likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Hopefully you went to the Elite Lounge which has elevated F&B (including Nicolas Feuillatte champagne). Long haul J passengers have access.

This is not an advertised service...
I did go to to the Elite Lounge. Not sure what airlines advertise making up the bed - it's either part of their procedures or not. In LOT's case, it appears to not be.