Search

SEN,no more priority op UPG

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH-SEN,priority club-Plat
Thumbs down SEN,no more priority op UPG

hello fellow Senators.
yesterday on FRA IAD lh416 Y overbooked by 10 pax.
C had about 6 empty seats. I was surprised to see the gate agents up grading pax without any status , while myself + two more senators standing and looking . we went to ask the agent at the gate why non status pax are being upgraded and we do not.
she answered with big smile "no more automatic UPG to senators"
we UPG the highest fair tickets.
when I asked her what's the logic here ? if I paid $100 less today but I fly this route on LH 12 times a year , and spend with LH over $30,000 annually .
is it fair to UPG pax that buys 1 ticket per year rather then their most loyal customers ?
her answer was you can upgrade with miles !!!!!!!!!!!

I have SEN status till 2016. but after yesterdays experience I have decided to move my BIZ to UA , I do 120 k status miles annually and if LH do not appreciate that , they will not see my $$$$$

have a great day.

Last edited by artdiam; May 31, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
There has never been a "automatic upgrade to senators", don't mistake M&L for a american FFP.
For a while now, LH's upgrade priority is 1. booking class 2. status. If you do a search, there's plenty of threads about this.

Assuming that you made it in one piece even though you had to fly the class you actually paid for?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, artdiam!

The topic has been discussed on FT for some time now, for example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-buckets.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ing-class.html

However, some recent posts in this thread contradict this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...08-2011-a.html

and LH Lurkers have also provided some interesting responses in their thread, for example post #11, #17, #24, #31, #77.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by artdiam
I have SEN status till 2016. but after yesterdays experience I have decided to move my BIZ to UA , I do 120 k status miles annually and if LH do not appreciate that , they will not see my $$$$$
Good luck flying discounted eco on the competition is most likely what LH is thinking.....

Your SEN status has probably gotten you the choice of the best seats in economy, so you already got a bit more than you paid for. And with a bit of luck (not on an overbooked flight of course) you might get an empty seat next to you. So status is not useless....
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:04 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
hello fellow Senators.
C had about 6 empty seats. I was surprised to see the gate agents up grading pax without any status , while myself + two more senators standing and looking . ...

have a great day.
May I ask in which booking class your ticket was?

Also how do you know that the pax that were upgraded did not have any status?

Alternatively, it is also possible that these were not op-ups, but regular upgrades with miles or evouchers that were waitlisted and cleared upon closing of the check-in. From outside, these upgrades look like op-ups (pax is paged to come to the counter, receives a new boarding pass, smiles happily ...)

Last edited by Viennafly; Jun 1, 2013 at 4:19 am
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
hello fellow Senators.
C had about 6 empty seats. I was surprised to see the gate agents up grading pax without any status , while myself + two more senators standing and looking . we went to ask the agent at the gate why non status pax are being upgraded and we do not.
she answered with big smile "no more automatic UPG to senators"
we UPG the highest fair tickets.
when I asked her what's the logic here ? if I paid $100 less today but I fly this route on LH 12 times a year , and spend with LH over $30,000 annually .
is it fair to UPG pax that buys 1 ticket per year rather then their most loyal customers ?
her answer was you can upgrade with miles !!!!!!!!!!!

have a great day.
welcome to FT and reality of LH. Management made the decision that short term money goes before customer loyalty. Every company can do what they like and the good thing is that we customers have more than one choice. I have my first EK flight in 2 weeks.

Moreover I am happy that LX was able to escape the LH new direction and still upgrade Status before booking class. Let's see for how long. As I fly more LX than LH these days, the LX team on the ground and in the air real values HON status and tries all what they can do.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The major factor for revenue control at LH is your booking class. So an full fare economy passenger with no status will be treated better than a senator flying the lowest economy fare.

And by the way due to your SEN status you got the second highest priority (only HONs have higher priority) to get a seat which means in your case you hadn't to worry to get unloaded while somebody with no status on a cheap fare might get left behind.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by pilatusguy
There has never been a "automatic upgrade to senators", don't mistake M&L for a american FFP..
Which American FFP dishes out complimentary intl upgrades?

And which one still prioritizes status over fare paid? AAdvantage comes to mind but that seems to be about it.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
I've been a SEN for 15 years, last I got an op up from LH was about 10 years ago; most op ups I go have been from non-LH group star carriers ... But then, I always tell myself, do not expect to get more than you paid for.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Welcome to FT, artdiam!

The topic has been discussed on FT for some time now, for example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-buckets.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ing-class.html

However, some recent posts in this thread contradict this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...08-2011-a.html

and LH Lurkers have also provided some interesting responses in their thread, for example post #11, #17, #24, #31, #77.
Doesn't make much sense to quote 'contradicting' and 'interesting' responses, the OP's summary is correct: upgrades are strictly by booking class and then within the booking class by status.

For business, all J tickets get upgraded first, after that all C ticket, after that all D tickets. In Economy, Y tickets come first, then tickets in B.

If they need one-up up with a Blue in J and a HON in C, the blue member gets the upgrade.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: M&M SEN

Brilliant idea! Lufthansa still gets your $$$
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Not only LH upgrades for booking classes, but some discounted Y fares (FWIK at least E,K, L,T,) are kept out of the discretionary decision of GAs.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by flying_student
Brilliant idea! Lufthansa still gets your $$$
In what way does LH get the bucks if OP flies UA? Mean through a JV?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They have a revenue sharing agreement for trans atlantic flights....
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
They have a revenue sharing agreement for trans atlantic flights....
Yes I know and that's why I referred to the JV.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.