FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Aeroflot JFK-SVO-KRK or LOT JFK-WAW-RZE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1467819-aeroflot-jfk-svo-krk-lot-jfk-waw-rze.html)

polish paczek May 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Aeroflot JFK-SVO-KRK or LOT JFK-WAW-RZE

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I could have dug this up somewhere. I'll be using miles for my ticket to WAW in late July so will have to fly LOT 767 JFK-WAW on the way to Poland...

My bf is flying early august and we are torn between two tickets:

Aeroflot JFK-SVO-KRK with 1hr15 min in SVO on Airbus A330-300 and then Sukhoi Superjet 100-95

coming back same plane to SVO but only 1hr transfer time, then a Boeing 777-300ER to JFK.

OR

fly LOT JFK-WAW on Boeing 767-300 (1h05 layover) and then De Havilland Canada DHC-8-400 Dash 8Q to RZE. Longer layover on the way back.

I am familiar with LOT since I flew JFK-WAW throughout my childhood, though last time was december '10. Aeroflot is much cheaper than LOT, it has some negative reviews but I know it has changed a lot for the better. I am mainly worried about the transfers for him since there doesn't seem to be another flight SVO-KRK that day by aeroflot. He does not speak russian or polish, but bulgarian.

Any advice? Thanks a lot! Sorry if I included way too much info...

herzmeh May 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I would go with SU. I find their food to be pretty good, heard good thing about their premium economy on 777 flights ex JFK. Can you cope with the Russian service? No fake smiles or unnecessary chit-chat, straight to the point (of course, crew dependent). If so, I'd go with them.

polish paczek May 17, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for the advice. I think Polish culture and Russian culture prob share some similarities. We're not worried about that, more about the transfer involved...

herzmeh May 17, 2013 9:16 am

Oh, then you know what I'm talking about... Anyway, last time I was at SVO, it sucked absolute monkey balls. Keep in mind that it was in the old (and only) terminal. I've been hearing good thing about new SVO terminal.

Personally, if $ permits, I'd shell out for SU's premium economy. Another plus, you avoid Dash8... I flew a lot on Saab SF340 in Alaska (3 hours each way between ANC and DUT, even alcohol didn't help), I truly despise them now. I don't see Dash8 being that much different.

TRAVELSIG May 17, 2013 3:47 pm

I prefer the SU hard product however do not like at all SVO. WAW is a better airport and in case of IRROPS a much more economical city to spend a night in if you have to.

I vote for LO in this case.

TPJ May 18, 2013 10:34 pm

My vote goes to SU. Better aircraft & food. BTW... what is your final destination? I do not think the highway from KRK to RZE is already 100% done and the trip may require detours etc.

olekorlo May 19, 2013 3:47 am

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 20774045)
My vote goes to SU. Better aircraft & food. BTW... what is your final destination? I do not think the highway from KRK to RZE is already 100% done and the trip may require detours etc.

true - if you're going to Rzeszow it's + ~3h from Krakow airport

polish paczek May 19, 2013 9:41 am

Hi thanks for your replies. His final destination is Krosno, but my family and I will pick him up from either Krakow or Rzeszow. Not exactly a hot vacation spot but where most of my family resides ;)

I agree that lot may be better in this case since he would be able to get on a bus in Warsaw in case.

ulus May 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Flying late July means that should be 787 dreamliner on a jfk-waw (LO 007 I think). They should start this route with a new plane on july 9, contact call centre, they should confirm this. And Waw-Rze is 55 minutes flight only. I would go with LO

herzmeh May 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Didn't they postpone 787 flights until September or am I talking out of my ...?

ulus May 23, 2013 3:15 am

Chicago and toronto starts june 05, nyc beginning of july. Two 787 already in Poland, third one should be there in a few days

CAlex May 23, 2013 6:49 am

I would take LO: 2 shorter flights, opportunity to fly the 787, and lower risk of issues (no visa, no short connection times...)