Wiki Posts
Search

Swissport strike at BRU May 12/13

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum

After delays in the evening due to the unannounced Swissport strike, all LH Group airlines have started cancelling morning flights. Check the status of your flight ASAP (on the LH website, the airport website hasn't been updated yet) and rebook as soon as possible. I've barely managed to snag a seat at 06:45 to FRA as the 08:30 flight was cancelled. SN is the most affected, obviously.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

A quick update, Swissport have been on full strike since this morning, so despite some flights being operated, there's no way to check in luggage. Pax are being rebooked to other airlines extensively, mostly non-*A.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MM
I had the unfortunate situation of connecting via BRU this morning (UA from EWR-BRU, and SN from BRU-FLR). My baggage got stuck at BRU

Does anyone know what the daily limit for reimbursement is from Brussels airlines? I had to go shopping for business attire as I have a client meeting tomorrow morning. I leave back for the US the day after. So if the bags don't come to FLR tomorrow, which is likely, they will be sent back to the US !!!

I could not find any information on what delayed bag reimbursement is per day from Brussels Air and how to go about getting it. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by pindi; May 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm
Old May 13, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
Can share a different story about the strike. Went TLV-BRU-CDG, and in TLV they did load the plane with luggage (strike was not 100% set back then, or they were too optimistic). Got to BRU, of course no luggage taken off the plane. Went to BRU-CDG - same f***ing plane... with our luggage on it. They did not remove any luggage at CDG (plane went back to BRU with the luggage, which will tomorrow will do the opposite way, identified a large amount of pax doing exactly the same route). "Luckily" the luggage contained only kilmo-TNG's crib, among other stuff... I guess a new crib will be reimbursed or one very unhappy SEN, and one wife who is FTL, will need to see what jurisdiction is relevant in this case.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Well this turned into a total horror story for me. I was originally (award-)booked on BRU-FRA-BEG on Monday morning. When the strike went into full swing on Monday, I got rebooked to Jat Airways on a direct flight BRU-BEG (they are among the few handled by Aviapartner instead of Swissport). After checking in luggage and going through passport control, the airplane went tech and I waited for seven more hours at the gate for them to fix it before quitting and going through the entire procedure of re-entering the EU and recovering luggage, amid the chaos that had already been going on (by the way, the plane took off eleven hours late). Got rebooked again to the Tuesday morning FRA flight, but same thing happened as on Monday. The only way for me to reach BEG was to go BRU-PRG-VIE-BEG, with insanely short connection times and the first leg operated by CSA. Luckily, I had asked the check-in agent to put a short connection tag on my luggage, so I managed to get to BEG after all together with my suitcase, 36 hours in since my original arrival to BRU. I must say that LH desks handled the entire situation brilliantly and with maximum support and flexibility, which is quite a feat when your shift consists of literally hundreds of pax asking to be rebooked and rerouted.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am about to fly LH from Brussels on Friday, connecting to an international flight there. In case the strike has not been resolved by then:
- would LH allow me to change my departure (and also return) to be from DUS instead ? The information on the website mentions changes will be allowed, but not from origin/destination.
- will LH be more relaxed regarding carry-on rules ? They recommend traveling from BRU without check-in luggage. Just 1 carry on will not work for me.
Thanks.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xandern
I am about to fly LH from Brussels on Friday, connecting to an international flight there. In case the strike has not been resolved by then:
- would LH allow me to change my departure (and also return) to be from DUS instead ? The information on the website mentions changes will be allowed, but not from origin/destination.
- will LH be more relaxed regarding carry-on rules ? They recommend traveling from BRU without check-in luggage. Just 1 carry on will not work for me.
Thanks.
1) They will very likely allow you to change to DUS, but covering the expenses of the trip from BRU to DUS is another story, at least in the short term. Be prepared to cash out for that one.
2) They have shown flexibility in carry-on rules, yes, but some people were getting turned down at boarding pass checks and security (I hadn't even known they had that kind of power).
Old May 15, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE

Just got into BRU on SN. About to leave BRU on UA. UA told me they had people trying to collect the UA luggage, but if my bag doesn't make it then don't expect it for a week.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: United Gold
Has anyone heard any indications on reimbursement for this? I'm on day 3 of the same set of clothing, so I'm going to have to break down and shop today. No one at Brussels Air has been able to give me any indication of what to expect.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:21 am
Original Poster

The strike is finally coming to an end, although it'll take the entirety of today for things to get back to normal, so irregularities can still be expected in the next hours.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

SN CEO helping SN volunteers handle all the bags at BRU:

http://ow.ly/i/28gzc

Nice PR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.