Search

LH W13 Long Haul operational changes

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
LH W13 Long Haul operational changes

According to http://airlineroute.net/2013/05/10/lh-w13update1/

As per 10MAY13 GDS timetable/inventory display, Lufthansa’s initial Winter 2013/14 long-haul operation changes as follow. Winter season begins from 27OCT13.

Frankfurt – Abu Dhabi – Muscat eff 04DEC13 Airbus A330-300 replaces A340-300
Frankfurt – Bangalore eff 01DEC13 Boeing 747-400 replaces 747-8I
Frankfurt – Beijing eff 01DEC13 Boeing 747-8I replaces Airbus A380 (PEK departure from 02DEC13)
Frankfurt – Doha – Bahrain eff 29DEC13 airbus A330-300 replaces A340-300
Frankfurt – Johannesburg Airbus A380 service resumes from 27OCT13
Frankfurt – Kuwait – Dammam 3 of 7 weekly Kuwait service extends to Dammam, A330-300 operating (Dammam overall service increases from 4 weekly to daily)
Frankfurt – Shanghai Pu Dong Airbus A380 replaces 747-400 on Day x13 (Day x24 from PVG)
Frankfurt – Tehran Airbus A330-300 operates on Day x4 (Day x5 from IKA), instead of A340-300. Overall daily service
Frankfurt – Tokyo Narita Boeing 747-400 replaces A380 in Winter 2013/14 season
Frankfurt – New York JFK Boeing 747-400 continues to operate 2 daily service
Frankfurt – Vancouver Airbus A340-600 aircraft continues operation in Winter 2013/14 season, replacing A340-300 in W12

Following destinations sees seasonal service reductions, where 1-2 weekly frequencies are cancelled during January and/or February 2014:
Frankfurt – Abu Dhabi – Muscat
Frankfurt – Atlanta
Frankfurt – Bangalore
Frankfurt – Boston
Frankfurt – Chennai
Frankfurt – Dallas
Frankfurt – Denver
Frankfurt – Doha – Bahrain
Frankfurt – Houston
Frankfurt – Lagos – Port Harcourt
Frankfurt – Nagoya
Frankfurt – Osaka Kansai
Frankfurt – Philadelphia
Frankfurt – San Francisco
Frankfurt – Seattle
Frankfurt – Toronto
Frankfurt – Vancouver
Munich – Charlotte
Munich – Hong Kong
Munich – Los Angeles
Munich – Newark
Munich – San Francisco
Munich – Tokyo Narita

Further changes to Winter 2013/14 schedule will be made in the next few months.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
FRA-BOS, they are canceling the mid afternoon flight to FRA and keeping the evening flight to MUC. Just don't understand it (it bit me this winter twice, as I had to fly to FRA and had to leave a day early to make my meeting on time)
With the FRA flight and arrival before 6 am CET, you can make most of Europe for 10am meeting, just when the flight to MUC lands from BOS.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa Confirms Cancellation of Dusseldorf – Miami W13 Operation

According to: http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/05/lh-dusmia-w13/

Lufthansa has confirmed the cancellation of Dusseldorf – Miami Winter 2013/14 operation, as the Star Alliance member removed the schedule of 5 weekly service last week. LH since late-May 2013 closed reservation for discounted fares, while accepting reservations in full-fare booking class (F/J/Y/B).
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
Super. More data on LH's strategy for response to competition (this time from another German carrier). This route cancellation pushes me on yet another route (CAN is major one for me) into the hands of the (One World) competition.

Does anyone here have experience with AB's long-haul C product? How does it compare to LH TATL?

If I switch to AB DUS/MIA, I also gain the option 3x per week to fly into RSW, which is sometimes more convenient for me for my private travel in any case.

The LH pattern of retreat on thin routes and rumors of further retreat in Asia makes me think again about whether it might be better to shift my business around to upgrade my OW status to Diamond instead of my LH status to HON. I could about halve my current LH business and still remain SEN.

The current management attitude of trying to cut costs with little (customer-percieved) value add, and (irrational?) fear of competition gives me pause as to whether my idea of refocusing more flights on LH in the direction of Asia to upgrade my LH elite status is a sound one.

Shifting more to CX would mean more stops in HKG (and maybe even flying AA sometimes), but at least CX still has a J and C seat guarantee for thier top-tier members, and their F lounges are also quite acceptably comfortable....@:-)

P.S. Anyone here have experience connecting on to S. America from MIA (e.g., with AA or other OW carriers?)
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1003U

Does anyone here have experience with AB's long-haul C product? How does it compare to LH TATL?
I don't have experience with them, but I do recall this article in business traveller

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...business-class

Basically they are starting to role out the same type of seat as Etihad (who part owns them), and it looks to be to be a major step up and better than the 'old' LH C seat.

It might take a while to roll out however, but probably not as long as the LH C upgrade.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AB is only converting a few aircraft to the EY seat, and those will primarily fly to AUH. The remaining aircraft, especially those flying TATL, will operate with the recently retro fitted 2nd hand seats AB got from LX. AB simply doesn't have the cash to fit its entire fleet with the expensive EY seat.

I don't get how you will prefer DUS to FRA when based near Freiburg though. AA had a few tries trying to make ORD/MIA/BOS-Germany work but still keeps out of Germany, even with the new OW partner. Also open is the plans of EY with their investment into AB. EY is tending to Skyteam...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I don't get how you will prefer DUS to FRA when based near Freiburg though.
As a general rule, you are correct, I O&D primarily from FRA (secondarily ZRH/BSL).

However, a large chunk of my practice is in the metals industry, which in the German-speaking world often leads through DUS (at least on a marketing level). Added to that fact that we have some friends who live in Köln and with whom we travel privately to Florida, I sometimes plan meetings in DUS to correspond with start or end of holidays.... Thus DUS is a good origin point for me for this particular destination.

My point is this:

DUS/MIA is another route where I have gladly used LH (and LH even offered competitive pricing), but since they have now (apparently) chosen to abandon the route, I need to make other accommodations a couple of times per year.

When one factors this development with other factors unique to my personal travel patterns (including, but not limited to, a preference for CX in the direction of CAN/HKG), I consider again whether it is a good idea to increase my spend in LH in order to up my status level, or if maybe it might be better to CUT my LH spend, and focus on top status on my preferred OW carrier...unfortunately, I do not travel enough to maintain top status in multiple alliances.

I am not complaining directly about LH, but some seemingly minor route abandonments by LH have disproportionately affect me personally...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Didn't you just move to Freiburg from NYC in Sep '12

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...reference.html

CAN was canned way before that (eff26MAR12), DUS-MIA was very seasonal already? DUS-EWR/ORD was constant, MIA and YYZ appeared to be more frequent during respective leisure travel periods.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:58 am

They have been trying to dtich the DUS - MIA flight since introducing the A380 on the FRA - MIA in winter. However it currently looks like the A380 will stay on the route now while canning the DUS flight completely.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Didn't you just move to Freiburg from NYC in Sep '12

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...reference.html
<off topic>
Yes I moved last year, but from 2007-2012 I spent a lot of time already traveling to, from and within Germany (since I have a lot of work here AND Ms. N1003U is a German national). That would also explain the replacement of UA MP with LH M&M as my primary *A FFP at that time.

The thing that tied me to New York until last year was great restaurants, excellent shopping, excellent international travel connections, and, oh, yea, my boss...

I traded all that excitement in for a tiny dorf in the upper Rhine Valley that is only open weekdays from 10.00 to 17.00, and Saturdays until 13.00...

In addition to having time now for babysitting aging parents, we find the cost of living in Umkirch (D-79224) is a lot lower than Manhattan (US-10036) as we are both working from home offices.
</off topic>

Was 2007 about the peak of the M&M program benefit generosity? Maybe I got in at the peak of the FFP bubble, and that is why I now often feel so disappointed...

CAN was canned way before that (eff26MAR12), DUS-MIA was very seasonal already? DUS-EWR/ORD was constant, MIA and YYZ appeared to be more frequent during respective leisure travel periods.
Was CAN canned that recently?
It seems SO long ago...I guess it is those long, hot rides from HKG that make the time go so slowly...

On the occasions I fly from DE to Florida, it tends to be in the winter (seasonal) months. Who wants to be in S. Florida in July or August? (I am, BTW, arguing a very minor point here...only 1 or max 2 trips per year, but I thought blowing insignificant bits into major discussion points was part of the charm of FT )

After reading this thread, when I looked for alternatives DUS/MIA, I was quite (and pleasantly) surprised to discover that AB also offers (limited) service to RSW...
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:44 am

Was 2007 about the peak of the M&M program benefit generosity? Maybe I got in at the peak of the FFP bubble, and that is why I now often feel so disappointed......
Yes, degradation of the HON program started under Der Wolf with reduction of executive bonus miles from 50% to 25% in 2008, although 2009-2010 remained golden years. Already seems a long, long time ago.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:34 am
Original Poster

W13 Munich – Saudi Arabia Operation Changes

According to http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/07/lh-mucruh-w13/
Lufthansa from 27OCT13 is adjusting operations on Munich – Saudi Arabia route. Munich – Riyadh service will become terminator operation once again, as it’ll no longer extend operations to Jeddah. Overall service is 4 weekly during Winter 2013/14 season. The airline will also adjust its operational schedules.

LH608 MUC1600 – 2315RUH 333 x157
LH609 RUH0115 – 0510MUC 333 x126
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

P.S. Anyone here have experience connecting on to S. America from MIA (e.g., with AA or other OW carriers?)

Yes. Don't!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yes. Don't!
Thank you for the warning...

I suspected as much, but real-world confirmation is appreciated. I will stick with MIA as a destination. I thought perhaps there was a chance some AA or LAN folks out there know something I don't.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: BalticMiles, LH SEN, FlyingBlue
Thank you for the warning...

I suspected as much, but real-world confirmation is appreciated. I will stick with MIA as a destination. I thought perhaps there was a chance some AA or LAN folks out there know something I don't.
I am very often connecting from LH to AA flight to Caribbean and can tell one thing - not quite pleasant experience as on LH you arrive @concourse J which is one end of big terminal where you clear US immigration and then have a looooong walk to another end of terminal concourse D from where AA departs where you have to clear security. When connecting back to LH you get the same just in opposite direction (OK, I have not cleared immigration @councourse D as I usually arrive from destination where there is US immigration pre-clearance).

Why I am doing this quite often - mostly timing as I can leave my home early morning and arrive @my destination late evening as there are many flights per day from MIA to my destination in Caribbean. Otherwise I would take AC flights which require overnight @YYZ when going to Caribbean as immigration and especially security experience there is much better (on my way back to Europe I even don't re-clear security there and immigration is basically quick passport check).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.