FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Would you stick to LH for frequent full fare F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1463144-would-you-stick-lh-frequent-full-fare-f.html)

GRUflyer Apr 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Would you stick to LH for frequent full fare F?

Hello FTers,

I travel to Asia quite often. Usually route GRU-XXX-PVG/HKG/SIN/BKK.

I was happily travelling in SQ C, until they decided they were making a killing at the GRU route and started pricing their C class just a little less expensive the Full Fare F in LH, LX and AF.

So my question is: given the choice, would you stick to LH for full fare F tickets?

I really like LX, but they do operate older 340s with old F on these routes, and their ground service for F is not the best.

On the other hand, I am a fan of the chair+bed on the UD of the 744s used on most routes I fly, or the A380. Also like the FCT/FCL for dining before the flight.

I, on the other hand, have had my issues with awful LH flight attendants.

So... What would you guys do? AF is OK but their latest change to FB was the last straw for me... :rolleyes:

Rambuster Apr 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Under your circumstances, I'd go for LH F.
Most of the 747s are refitted and on SIN and PVG you'll enjoy the A380 F cabin.
I guess the connection in FRA isn't too convenient with plenty of time to kill in FRA.

Check out BA F fares too: They should be around the EUR 10k mark.

By the way, what SQ C fares are you referring to ?
Business fares seem to be reasonable.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.7/Diamond - ATP: Fares/FC/Current]
Code:

GRU  Sao Paulo Guarulhos Intl SP BR [SBGR]
SIN  Singapore Changi SG [WSSS]
R/T 

Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur  Total    Q    YQYR  Fare Basis
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ----  ----  -------------
SQ        SAO    SIN      5696  EUR      5696              DTA
SQ        SAO    SIN      5696  EUR      5696              JTA
SQ        SAO    SIN      6076  EUR      6076              JTA
SQ        SAO    SIN      6835  EUR      6835              CTA
SQ        SAO    SIN      6835  EUR      6835              CTA

SQ        SAO    SIN      8354  EUR      8354              ZTA
SQ        SAO    SIN      8354  EUR      8354              ZTA
SQ        SAO    SIN    11392  EUR    11392              PTA
SQ        SAO    SIN    11392  EUR    11392              PTA
SQ        SAO    SIN    12152  EUR    12152              CSQ
SQ        SAO    SIN    12152  EUR    12152              CSQ
SQ        SAO    SIN    17848  EUR    17848              FSQ
SQ        SAO    SIN    17848  EUR    17848              FSQ

TPJ May 1, 2013 2:03 am

If you/your employer can afford F-class stick with LH...

But...

Have you considered the Middle Eastern guys? EY is fantastic... offering higher standards of service in C than BA or AA in F (never flew with them in F, though).

On a separate note (and FYI only as these guys do not have F), GRU is now also served by 2 more *A carriers: TK (but with terrible schedule) and ET.

GRUflyer May 1, 2013 4:05 am

Rambuster,

SQ is charging 8K Euros for Shanghai in C, while LH F is at 10k.....

TPJ,

I quite like TK, but they have an awful 5 am departure out of GRU! And ET has a joke of route! GRU-LFW-ADD with an old 763.

I am considering the Gulf carriers, but I am not such a big fan of them because of FFP benefits, I don't plan on flying to Dubai or Doha for vacation....

Maybe I will give Qatar a shot when they join OW. As for BA.... Never flown them in F, but not a huge fan of them in C. Also, 14F is stretching it a bit no?! 8F is already hard to handle for LH/LX....

Unterwegs May 1, 2013 5:13 am

Personally I prefer SQ C over BA F, which i believe is a glorified business class (not much space, 14 F seats in the nose of a 747 where 8 seems to be standard now).
LH F is a good choice, but FRA is a bad airport to connect (no pickup from plane, you need to make your way to one of the F lounges which can take very long). Otherwise you will be on the 747 with a high probability of the new seats. I like them best.
You could go via MUC, much better airport to connect, good F lounge, but it is on a 340-300 and has a longer layover to asia.
The LX product is inferior on the plane (old seats on the 340, only one toilet for F plus crew) and at the airport (compared to the F lounges LH has), but ZRH is a niceer airport to connect than FRA.

Did you ever consider buying RTW tickets? If you can position to one of the lower cost starting points (not sure if ICN and NRT are still the best) you could use any star airline, you would have significantly more flexibility, make multiple stops or sidetrips etc. The F products of ANA and Asiana is very good, TG is still good, SQ requires a surcharge and you could also put LH and LX into the Mix. And if there is no other choice you could even consider UA.

Fendant May 1, 2013 5:49 am

Well after the recent enhancements for HON's I switches all my Asian business to EK ( mostly flown in F , where available ).

I find the suites great. Service is a hit and miss ( like LH nowadays ) and you have to make your owen way to the plane and on arrival ( no PA service for example in PEK ).

Coming back from Asia you have a night flight getting to DXB early morning. Good breakfast in the fantastic SK F-lounge kills most of the 3-4 layover hours, free massage kills wait time as well . Then a 6 hour morning flight to Europe. Outbound is the hard way, you get into DXB at midnight and your connecting flights leave between 3 and 4 am.

What puzzles me is that I see more and more fellow pax with HON tags. Recently out of ZRH there were 3 of 8 in F and on the connecting flight tp PEK 7 out of 12 ! Seems LH is actively pushing their best customers to EK.

Will try Qatar next time in May.

Rambuster May 1, 2013 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fendant (Post 20680407)
Well after the recent enhancements for HON's I switches all my Asian business to EK ( mostly flown in F , where available ).

I find the suites great. Service is a hit and miss ( like LH nowadays ) and you have to make your owen way to the plane and on arrival ( no PA service for example in PEK ).

Coming back from Asia you have a night flight getting to DXB early morning. Good breakfast in the fantastic SK F-lounge kills most of the 3-4 layover hours, free massage kills wait time as well . Then a 6 hour morning flight to Europe. Outbound is the hard way, you get into DXB at midnight and your connecting flights leave between 3 and 4 am.

What puzzles me is that I see more and more fellow pax with HON tags. Recently out of ZRH there were 3 of 8 in F and on the connecting flight tp PEK 7 out of 12 ! Seems LH is actively pushing their best customers to EK.

Will try Qatar next time in May.

Yep, I see many fellow HONs on EK and CX ...
I guess the HON program will be discontinued sooner or later IMHO.

Transfers in F can be made easier by booking the FRAport VIP service.
If the F ticket will set you back €10k then those €300 won't hurt too much! ;)
They will pick you up at the plane !