Wiki Posts
Search

Maintaining *S w/ M&M and *G w/ M+

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K
Maintaining *S w/ M&M and *G w/ M+

I would be extremely grateful if anyone had thoughts or comments regarding the following issue.

I am US based but in the past I have not traveled much within the US so I collected miles with LH's M&M in Y, Z, and D on LH, LO, UA (and very occasionally on Swiss and SAS). I make enough trips to Europe to maintain my *S status (3-4 trips to Europe that add up to just over 35k status miles on M&M).

Last year, I also started traveling more within the U.S., primarily in Y and Z, but occasionally also in A/F (say, 12 coast to cost trips within a year).

From now on, I will likely continue 3-4 trips to Europe per year (a couple more in Z or D this year, and likely "half" of a trip to Asia at the end of the year) and the number of my US trips will likely stay the same or increase.

I just reached 35k miles (*S good for another two years with M&M). Does it makes sense for me to switch on my next flight to MileagePlus and try to collect 50k miles for *G? (I don't think I can ever get to 100k miles with M&M for *G.) If I do switch to M+ now and get to *G with 50k miles this year, should I forget about M&M next year and focus on M+ only? Or does it make sense for me to keep maintaining *S on M&M and try to maintain *G on M+ since I likely can't get to either 1K on M+ nor Senator on M&M even if I focus on one program only? Does this even seem plausible?

The primary benefits I use status for are priority check-in, priority boarding, priority security lines, automatic upgrades, and lounge access and luggage allowance on international flights.

Thank you for any thoughts/comments!

Michal
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I can't see any reason why you'd want to maintain *S with M&M after reaching *G with M+. LH used to treat their own *S better than other *G, but that's no longer the case according to anecdotal evidence from the past few years, plus *G in M+ gets you into better LH lounges than *S on M&M.

The only caveat I see in your post are "automatic" upgrades. No such thing in LH Group, regardless of status level and FFP.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: *A
It might be an idea to also aim for an easy to reach *G status of a non-US FFP (e.g. TK or A3). With them you'd get lounge access also on domestic trips. A3 is just 20k for Gold, so with your high booking classes you'd have it in no time and could make it on top of the M+ Gold (which is probably good to have as a US based/traveling member)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Ditch the *S now unless you are flying regularly transatlantic in D class. Z now has lower earnings with M&M so you can just use your other program.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
The only reason I can think of keeping *S with M&M if you're going to maintain *G with M+ is to use the Welcome Lounge in FRA if you fly in Y.

I have often thought this would be a sensible way to go if I ever fall below 100K miles in alternating years, but am still flying more than 85K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.