FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Lounge Access on Germanwings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1454608-lounge-access-germanwings.html)

kacheng Apr 2, 2013 2:54 am

Lounge Access on Germanwings

Hi,

soon I'm flying on Germangwings.
Being Senator, on their webpage I read the following:

Do I get access to the Lufthansa lounge with a Germanwings boarding pass?
As a HON Circle member or a Senator you may use the Lufthansa Lounge when showing your Miles & More status card and a Germanwings boarding pass valid for the airport of departure and actual day. You may invite one companion who needs to have a valid boarding pass for a Lufthansa or Star Alliance flight for that day and for the airport of departure.
but also

At which Germanwings airports do I find a Lufthansa Lounge?
Germanwings passengers will be able to use Lufthansa lounges in Cologne/Bonn, Bremen, Stuttgart, Hanover, Munich, Leipzig or Dresden.
So what about DUS and HAM?

flyingfkb Apr 2, 2013 3:21 am

You will able to use the lounges in DUS and HAM, too. The reason they are not on the list is because DUS has only one 4U flight and HAM is just getting more 4U flights. Especially DUS is still LH territory.

Tyrolean Apr 2, 2013 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by kacheng (Post 20521239)
Hi,

soon I'm flying on Germangwings.
Being Senator, on their webpage I read the following:

but also

So what about DUS and HAM?

MUC? 4U flies from T1, LH Lounge is in T2 - bad joke!

supermasterphil Apr 3, 2013 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Tyrolean (Post 20525247)
MUC? 4U flies from T1, LH Lounge is in T2 - bad joke!

In theory there will be no 4U flights left in MUC.

witthuus Apr 17, 2013 12:28 am

what if you are *G ( UA 1K ) and fly Germanwings out of HAJ. Will we get access ?

supermasterphil Apr 17, 2013 1:34 am

Originally Posted by witthuus (Post 20604850)
what if you are *G ( UA 1K ) and fly Germanwings out of HAJ. Will we get access ?

As per the rules, there "should" be no access. Germanwings is not part of Star Alliance. :td:

Flygirl_DE Apr 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by supermasterphil (Post 20527490)
In theory there will be no 4U flights left in MUC.

Actually, that's the theory, but at least the flights to and from DTM will still be performed by 4U (until that routing is canceled ?!?!)

oliver2002 Apr 17, 2013 3:35 pm

4U flies to PRN from MUC and FRA plus to DTM from MUC. Unless the PRN service is tied to some contract, expect the service to be shifted to CL or mainline LH.

SPlDER Apr 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Lufthansa uses trick with 4U to deprive other airlines *G passenger their benefits. I hope that such tricks will be prohibited by Star Alliance soon. If other airlines will start doing the same frequent travelers will lose their benefits. *G status without world recognition will be worth nothing.

FlyingB1975 Apr 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by SPlDER (Post 20609450)
Lufthansa uses trick with 4U to deprive other airlines *G passenger their benefits. I hope that such tricks will be prohibited by Star Alliance soon. If other airlines will start doing the same frequent travelers will lose their benefits. *G status without world recognition will be worth nothing.

Other airlines have tried in the past, some still do. Silk Air for Singapore Airlines is just one example. Stop complaining and do the right thing: Choose another airline.

Flying Lawyer Apr 18, 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by SPlDER (Post 20609450)

Why shouldn't they. And I really appreciate this - I am tired of the abusive strategy of other carriers to give away *G almost for free which leads to lounges crowded by domestic TK and A3 Golds. Other airlines have started this long ago. SQ is the most prominent example. Most passengers on real transfer are not affected since the FRA and MUC routes will still be operated by mainline and US customers will feel pretty much at home since their local Gold status does not give them any benefits at home anyway. So why complain?

berlinflyer83 Apr 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 20611474)
Why shouldn't they. And I really appreciate this - I am tired of the abusive strategy of other carriers to give away *G almost for free which leads to lounges crowded by domestic TK and A3 Golds. Other airlines have started this long ago. SQ is the most prominent example. Most passengers on real transfer are not affected since the FRA and MUC routes will still be operated by mainline and US customers will feel pretty much at home since their local Gold status does not give them any benefits at home anyway. So why complain?

How is it abusive? 20,000 is a little low, sure, but that's Star Alliance's job to control it by setting thresholds...or, TBH, I think Star Silver and Star Gold really need to be reworked. Star Silver is absolutely useless, which is why some airlines make Star Gold easier to get... I'd prefer there be 3 tiers.

I'm biased since I've been at oneworld for 10 years, and only *A for 1...but I think oneworld's levels are tuned better. I was hoping BER would open, and AB would get better and I would have maintained my AA PLT, but did not. So when I was searching for a new *A program...well..

M&M sucks in a lot of areas, really just seems to get worse over time with all these "enhancements". Why on earth would I pick it as a new entrant to Star Alliance, especially having had so many crap experiences with Lufthansa in the past?

I'll fly my 100K a year and credit it to A3. It's really obnoxious for all the SEN's who think they're so much better than everyone else and whine and complain about us A3's wandering around. That's how the game works....

It's like if we both owned the same BMW. Sure, yours has seat warmers, and mine doesn't, but I paid 1/5 of what you did. Complain to BMW, not me.

Flying Lawyer Apr 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Sure. This is how the game works. I get access and you don't. My FTL wife gets access and all *G don't. This is how the game works. We own the same BMW. Mine got a lounge and yours don't. And I am happy to pay a bit more for lounge, seat blocking, seat reservation ans better award availability. ;)

berlinflyer83 Apr 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 20613723)
Sure. This is how the game works. I get access and you don't. My FTL wife gets access and all *G don't. This is how the game works. We own the same BMW. Mine got a lounge and yours don't. And I am happy to pay a bit more for lounge, seat blocking, seat reservation ans better award availability. ;)

My BMW has third-party lounge access, AmEx gave it to me. For non-M&M Star Golds who will be 4U**ed, getting an amex platinum card might be an option because it includes priority pass (if anyone wants to go this route, PM me for the Freundschaftswerbung).

For the moment, I'm lucky enough to not be flying in DE lately, and hopefully it lasts beyond the switch at TXL to 4U. But, even with PP, I suspect I will need to formulate a strategy to get status in M&M when I get 4U**ed. I imagine that a lot of other FF will too, which is probably what LH wanted all along.

Flying Lawyer Apr 19, 2013 10:33 am

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83 (Post 20614094)
My BMW has third-party lounge access, AmEx gave it to me. For non-M&M Star Golds who will be 4U**ed, getting an amex platinum card might be an option because it includes priority pass (if anyone wants to go this route, PM me for the Freundschaftswerbung).

That won't helpful in quite a few airports because there are not PP lounges in the LH terminal/pier. DUS comes to mind. But you are right, it wil probably reduce the number of A3 and TK Golds and there will be for sure more space in the lounges.