Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa mistakenly served non-veg food

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold

In Mid January I travelled from Lufthansa to Delhi on a United Award ticket in Business Class. After asking the flight attendant for Vegetarian meal she mistakenly handed me over the non veg box and I figured out it was non-veg when I *tried* to eat a piece of meat.

I am a hindu vegetarian who never had meat. It is a big deal for me.
The flight attendant who served me was very apologetic and I think false cried infront of me too so, I didn’t create a scene thinking that what can be done now. But recently I got to know that in India, airlines had to compensate passengers for almost around $1000 equivalent for mistakenly serving non-veg food.

I have written to both United and Lufthansa today, not really sure what are my options since I do not have any proof of that incident.

Has anyone of you faced the same situation? If yes, please share your experiences.

Last edited by nidsdel; Mar 19, 2013 at 8:45 pm
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:37 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
This is not a trip report. Wouldn't this kind of complaint be better in the LH Forum?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:06 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this is not a trip report I shall move it over to the Miles & More forum.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by nidsdel
I am a hindu vegetarian who never had meat. It is a big deal for me.

The flight attendant who served me was very apologetic and I think false cried infront of me too so, I didn’t create a scene thinking that what can be done now.
^ Way to go. This is a human mistake, no? This can happen! And as you said, you didn't eat the meat, so where's the problem? And even if you ate that meat accidently, I cannot understand why this would be such a big deal and give someone the right to be compensated with $1,0000.

But recently I got to know that in India, airlines had to compensate passengers for almost around $1000 equivalent for mistakenly serving non-veg food.
I have written to both United and Lufthansa today, not really sure what are my options since I do not have any proof of that event.
What do you expect? No one was injured, I don't see why you would even think about complaining at LH for this. Let alone asking for monetary compensation .
royng likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People are well, human and it sounds as though you handled the situation just fine, have suffered no harm and that LH did exactly which it ought to have done: apologize on the spot.

It hasn't bothered you for two months. What's bothering you now?
royng likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Often1
What's bothering you now?
Possibility of getting $1000?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What a perfect FT world it would be if in your first 50 posts you wouldn't be able to post about getting compensation.....
f4freeJunior likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Mistakes happen.

Although airline meals certainly do sometimes have that mystery meat je-ne-sais-quoi, the fact that they are actually MEAT is generally identifiable. Did you look at the meal?

I understand that this is a big deal for you. I can think of other religions and cultures for whom similar issues would be really problematic on a personal level, too. However, it's not as though you are anaphylactic to food X and were served it, thus putting your life at risk.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SPMLs have clear markings on them and a AVML on indian flight is clearly identifiable as such. My son is allergic to egg and treenuts so it requires a freetext SPML request, and even then ex FRA we had a meal with a pouch of Heinz mayonaise on the tray. We of course noticed instantly and put it aside. The crew noticed it later (when clearing the tray) and wrote up a report. An anaphylactic shock at 35000ft would have been interesting, thank god we were alert.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

The FA made in innocent mistake. He or she is not perfect. I'm sure the FA felt bad about the situation.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
How does the OP know that it was meat when they have never tasted or seen it???

And if the OP has seen it before .. why did they eat it then? That is like accusing the airline of cannibalism when you start eating when the FA still has her hands on the the tray.

To rectify the original sin the OP has to ask their deity for forgiveness, not LH for compensation.
f4freeJunior likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
SPMLs have clear markings on them and a AVML on indian flight is clearly identifiable as such.
I don't read anything about a SPML the OP has ordered. It sounds like he just asked for the regular vegetarian choice on his flight. Not handing over an ordered special meal is something where a complaint may be justified - this case here is not.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:15 am

The OP doesn't state he wants $1000 so let's not assume that.

Writing the letter is good - LH should train staff on avoiding this mistake on certain routes (including any to India) where these options are offered as a matter of course - and no special meal needs to be ordered (all airlines I know offer Indian veg meals on flights to India).

On the other hand - while it may cause personal distress - the religious implication would be very limited. So writing the letter and avoiding a recurrence is enough and the OP should move on.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior

^ Way to go. This is a human mistake, no? This can happen! And as you said, you didn't eat the meat, so where's the problem? And even if you ate that meat accidently, I cannot understand why this would be such a big deal and give someone the right to be compensated with $1,0000.

What do you expect? No one was injured, I don't see why you would even think about complaining at LH for this. Let alone asking for monetary compensation .
I am sorry to say but you (and others are missing the point). It's a pretty big deal for some one to accidentally eat meat, if his/her religion doesnt allow. Moreover, if there is a law in India about compensation, why shouldnt the OP expect the compensation?? Don't we all get mad if we are entitled to certain benefits as frequent fliers (numerous posts regarding people getting mad about lounge dragons refusing entry to elite fliers) and get mad when we don't get those benefits??
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Flubber2012
Are you blind and anosmic?
By looking at it you can't always tell whether its meat or not.
That was a good question though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.