FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Traveling in F with co-workers in J (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1448643-traveling-f-co-workers-j.html)

keloutwest Mar 16, 2013 11:47 am

Traveling in F with co-workers in J

Hi all,

I was booked into the J cabin for a flight next week, and I noticed that A-fare opened up on the outbound, for a price $1000 less than the full fare J class I had previously. I snagged it, and it was the last seat on the 747-400.

The 2 co-workers I'm traveling with are still in J. The flight is DEN-FRA-TXL, with a 2 hour layover in FRA.

This is my first time in F :) and I'm giddy with excitement. When we land in FRA, what should I expect? Will they pick me up in a car and bring me to the first class area? Do I walk to the first class lounge myself?

What do I do with my 2 colleagues? Can they come with me if someone picks me up? Can I bring them as guests to the first class lounge? Should I say "SEE YA!" and ditch them for 2 hours?

NewbieRunner Mar 16, 2013 12:19 pm

There is no special F arrival service in FRA. If your flight arrives at a remote position there will be a separate bus for F passengers to the terminal but that's all. You will have to go through passport control and walk to the First Class Lounge near gate A13.

Unfortunately you can only invite one guest into the First Class Lounge. A difficult decision for you. ;)

keloutwest Mar 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Just spent a lot of time doing some searching and came up with 1 question:

The first class terminal (FCT). It sounds like it's unclear whether as an arriving First Class passenger connecting to short-haul business class (within Schengen), I could walk to the FCT and be granted access. Anyone have recent experience?

If this is possible, I would appreciate if someone could give me a brief set of directions for how to do this. If it's hit or miss (as described here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ing-passenger/), I'd be up for trying assuming it's not too terribly far to walk (and if unsuccessful, walk back).

Sorry, ignore this. Found the answers here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...r-updated.html

"Search is your friend". There, I said it to myself. If anyone has any additional pointers and cares to add here, awesome. Otherwise I'll just follow the instructions in the above link....

NewbieRunner Mar 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by keloutwest (Post 20430645)
"Search is your friend". There, I said it to myself. If anyone has any additional pointers and cares to add here, awesome. Otherwise I'll just follow the instructions in the above link....

Or just click a link in my signature line. ;)

SFO777 Mar 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by keloutwest (Post 20430451)
Should I say "SEE YA!" and ditch them for 2 hours?

This definitely would be my recommendation. ;)

f4freeJunior Mar 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.168 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/130)

I would skip the FCT and go with your co-workers to the Biz lounge instead. Everything else will create too much noise in the company. Let alone the fact that you fly in F whereas your colleagues have to remain in biz. It's not an easy decision I agree but in such a situation I would try to play it low profile.

NewbieRunner Mar 16, 2013 1:02 pm

It all depends on your relationship with your co-workers. Going to the First Class Lounge in Pier A while your co-workers go to the Business Lounge next door (assuming they are not *G) is one option. Walking to the FCT and being driven to your TXL flight while your co-workers board the plane in the normal way is another.

As f4freeJunior says there is also a third option.

Originally Posted by keloutwest (Post 20430645)
Sorry, ignore this. Found the answers here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...r-updated.html

Why look at a post with some outdated information when there is plenty of more up-to-date information in the forum? :confused:

Rambuster Mar 16, 2013 2:14 pm

The OP could also book the FRAport VIP service for all three.

RTW1 Mar 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Is one of those coworkers your boss? ;)

Often1 Mar 16, 2013 2:19 pm

This is all about the corporate culture of your employer. Nobody here can help you with that. There are places where the attitude would be that OP is a savvy guy who snagged a deal. There are others where this would be seen as inappropriate. And then there's whether OP cares what his coworkers think.

FlyIgglesFly Mar 16, 2013 3:02 pm

They could have snagged F as well, if they were smart enough and paid close enough attention.

I say ditch them, take plenty of pics in the FCT, and brag. After all, you SAVED the company $1k by switching to F. That's looking out for your employer in these tough financial times. :cool:

keloutwest Mar 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 20431085)
Is one of those coworkers your boss? ;)

Of course not, but if one were, he would be the one coming with me to the FCT :D

keloutwest Mar 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly (Post 20431292)
They could have snagged F as well, if they were smart enough and paid close enough attention.

I say ditch them, take plenty of pics in the FCT, and brag. After all, you SAVED the company $1k by switching to F. That's looking out for your employer in these tough financial times. :cool:

Exactly. I'm not worried at all because if anyone questions it, I have ample documentation to show the price of the original business class ticket.

Unterwegs Mar 16, 2013 6:10 pm

I personally try to avoid situations like this and would take a different flight/connection. I completely understand how exciting it might be to show up in a limo at your connecting flights when the cattle arrive in a bus. But this will not help you with the relationship to your coworkers.
In a situation like that i would stay with them in the business lounge.

greg5 Mar 17, 2013 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 20432022)
I personally try to avoid situations like this and would take a different flight/connection. I completely understand how exciting it might be to show up in a limo at your connecting flights when the cattle arrive in a bus. But this will not help you with the relationship to your coworkers.
In a situation like that i would stay with them in the business lounge.

I'm guessing with the 'outwest' part of the OP's name he's in the western part of the US, which means he's got the choice of one connection per day. Taking a different flight wouldn't really be an option then.