Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling in F with co-workers in J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pittpanther
I have heard several times in this thread that a given F fare was cheaper than the J fare, and the company was saved money as a result. When questioned on this days or weeks after the fact, how would you prove that the F flight was in fact cheaper? How would you convince an auditor that the F fare you selected actually was cheaper than the J fare? How do you prove that the J fare didn't also drop in price - in other words, maybe both the F and J fares decreased, so you should have stayed with J and gotten a refund?
There were two coworkers on the J fare. That should prove how much it was, and that it didn't drop.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Typically the corporate travel agency documents the fare discrepancy in the expectation it will be subject to audit at a later date and a note is put into the file as to why the exception was made and what the savings is.
Boy, am I glad I don't work in such a rat-race anymore, where I have to give blood and urine samples to a grade-5 bean counter every time I buy a travel ticket. I generally incorporate travel as flat rate as part of my indirect costs. Then I can fly F if it is a good deal, or discount Y (if I am not working shortly after landing), and pocket the savings...I only have to justify my expenses to the guy who looks at me in the mirror in the morning, and whichever tax authority is interested...

When I don't cover travel in general overhead, I try travel under my my client's policies, and use their travel agent when possible. That seems minimize the hassle.

I worked for a company for 6 of the most painful years of my life, where people were more worried about the sorts of things that have kept this thread alive for almost 50 posts, instead of actually getting work done. It was pathetic.

I propose to those who think it is bad form or even career-damaging to snag a great upgrade AND save money because it might affect how others in the company view you, that you are working for a defective company and should be considering a change...

Originally Posted by sethb
There were two coworkers on the J fare. That should prove how much it was, and that it didn't drop.
I really like logical people...thanks for the comment! ^
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
Is one of those coworkers your boss?
In which case it would make sense to also rub it in how the OP was cost conscious, saved the company money with his A fare, tell the boss off for being wasteful, and then showing pictures from the F experience.

Adding insult to injury always is a good strategy when dealing with management.
(and sometimes there are those who have a sense of humour where this actually works)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by N1003U
Boy, am I glad I don't work in such a rat-race anymore, where I have to give blood and urine samples to a grade-5 bean counter every time I buy a travel ticket.
BTW, please do not misunderstand. I know very well the importance of good financial controls, and the temptation to abuse travel costs/policies when they are not properly monitored. However, IME, many companies implement controls rather crudely and poorly--there are civilized ways to do it.

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
In which case it would make sense to also rub it in how the OP was cost conscious, saved the company money with his A fare, tell the boss off for being wasteful, and then showing pictures from the F experience.

Adding insult to injury always is a good strategy when dealing with management.
(and sometimes there are those who have a sense of humour where this actually works)
I am not sure even I would go that far--after all it is always good to be civilized, although if one is working in a healthy culture such things really don't matter and can be a source of humor.

This whole up-front-seat-envy discussion points out to me how far we have to go in terms of organizational development.

Let me try to illustrate with a couple of questions:

Is it better to implement strict, penny-pinching, inflexible controls that often have the side effect of giving people a bad attitude and setting up exactly that "stick it to them when you can" culture, as well as engendering envy of clever people who can manipulate the rigid control structure to their advantage?

OR

Is it better to encourage overall a more transparent working (and financial) environment with guidelines that do preclude using separate common sense, with an emphasis on making people more productive and value-added so that it doesn't matter if they spend 4.000€ or 5.000€ on a ticket because the trip generates orders of magnitude more value for the company?

OF COURSE one should save money when it makes sense to do so! If you don't do that, your competitors will put you out of business. But even in very large organizations, an unhealthy focus on penny-pinching and strict controls often kills off the very creativity and initiative that is needed to keep these lumbering bureaucracies moving forward...and remaining profitable.

(hmmm...lumbering bureaucracies threatened by competition...where have we seen that recently...)
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:31 pm

I would enjoy the FC international flight but not rub it into my colleagues noses by using special transit or the FC lounge.

And really, is FC THAT much better than J?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Traveling in F with co-workers in J

On LH, every day of the week!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Biz class in LH is very mediocre.

Hopefully the new seats that are now installing will be a big improvement.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I would enjoy the FC international flight but not rub it into my colleagues noses by using special transit or the FC lounge.

Yes. I've flown both J and F on the DEN-FRA route, and it's a huge difference. The F seats are the old ones, but it's still a major upgrade.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by endrond
Yes. I've flown both J and F on the DEN-FRA route, and it's a huge difference. The F seats are the old ones, but it's still a major upgrade.
Agreed.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: LH HON

I was even lucky enough to get New F on my last 3 den flights
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by daumueller
<== envious
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by daumueller
<== envious
I have at least 2 more DENs coming this year so I'll keep you updated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.