Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian OS long haul experience [merged reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
you are of cause right, that bulkhead throne seats are much better. normal throne seats have an extremely tight footwell

as for the comparison of OS with Swiss and SAS: have done many flights on the first two, very few on SAS
Generally I experienced the OS crews as overall more friendly and better accommodating passengers wishes; on the other side the service of meals and drinks is more efficient on Swiss
OS beats Swiss regarding food but Swiss has the superior wine selection
zoechow likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Chase, United
Note on bulkhead, to the question of whether it is bothersome to be close to crew area. I found it not noisy. But they do keep the lights on bright in there, and passengers move in and out on the way to the forward bathroom. Eye mask mitigates that for sleeping. I’d say still worth it.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:58 pm

OS 777-200 seats

We're in seats 4H and 4K upcoming LAX-VIE in J. Looks like 4H (aisle) has a pretty standard-looking left armrest like a coach seat would have. And do those aisle seats in business have any buffer from the aisle foot traffic? Seems to be zero privacy for sleeping.
Thanks for any experience you can share.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:07 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
This is not the latest generation C-class seat but serves the purpose - it is a fully flat 'coffin' seat. Yes - there are better products for privacy but I have never had any issues with seeping on these seats. The highlight of OS is soft product with Do&Co catering. I would not change airlines only because of the armrest like a coach seat.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I prefer the seat with the economy armrest. The alternative is much too coffin like for me.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
This is not the latest generation C-class seat but serves the purpose - it is a fully flat 'coffin' seat. Yes - there are better products for privacy but I have never had any issues with seeping on these seats. The highlight of OS is soft product with Do&Co catering. I would not change airlines only because of the armrest like a coach seat.
Interesting. Thank you both. @TPJ, I was actually a bit confused about the DoCo catering, as this is my first ever OS flight. I hear the food is supposed to be exceptional, but I'm not sure how the Do & Co works. With a Business seat, I know I'll get a dinner. But do they just come around with a menu like other airlines? I'm not sure how the "a la carte" part works. When I log into OS, I see that I can pre-order DoCo a la carte, but it shows a 15 Euro upcharge, so I'm not sure if it's included with a Business seat? Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:32 pm

Austrian Meal Service on OS

On a TATL OS 777-200, with 7 rows of J seats. Does anyone know if they serve meals starting with Row 1, or Row 7, or do they serve the status pax first? Trying to choose seats to get a meal sooner and then a long nap! Especially important on OS because of the personalized service taking longer.

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:08 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
OK - Do & Co i just name of the catering company. But they really do fantastic stuff. They cater OS, TK and some BA flights.

I have never been on OS LAX flight but normally you have drinks and nuts service first. The nice thing is that if you select wine they will write what you have chosen on a paper sheet and will then refill a correct one throughout the service.

Then you have appetizer cart - you can choose whatever you want, mix and match or just ask for a bit of everything. If memory serves there are like 8 items to choose from. On late night departures it is replaced with a normal tray service.

Then there is main course - chef will ask you for your selection at the beginning of the flight.

They they serve dessert and will distribute a dedicated coffee menu. There are something like 10 to choose from (I normally have Baileys coffee).

Pre-arrival meal is less fancy, but still good.

So emphasis is definitely on the soft product.

No need to purchase anything, everything is included.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
OK - Do & Co i just name of the catering company. But they really do fantastic stuff. They cater OS, TK and some BA flights.

Thank you, thank you. It was a bit confusing looking at my booking on OS's site. You cannot pre-order your main meal online, but you can pre-order a la carte items from Do&Co. That's where I got confused. I was clicking on "pre-order" and only finding a la carte little items. Thanks again!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:38 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Start with row 1 today on the flight to PVG.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
OS or TG

Hi all,
Thanks to everyone for their trip reports! I'm debating whether to choose OS or TG for the BKK-VIE route in J. 772 on OS, 788 on TG, so the seating arrangement is fairly similar (although throne seats are possible on OS). Any thoughts?
Old May 22, 2019, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyingislove
Hi all,
Thanks to everyone for their trip reports! I'm debating whether to choose OS or TG for the BKK-VIE route in J. 772 on OS, 788 on TG, so the seating arrangement is fairly similar (although throne seats are possible on OS). Any thoughts?
Also depends on the time of day/night you travel. We recently went with OS from LAX-VIE, but it was a later flight, and we mostly wanted to sleep. Didn't truly enjoy the IFE, and we sorta rushed through dinner and even skipped dessert. That being said, the throne seats are cool as hell if you're flying alone. My wife and I sat behind a throne, and even though we typically sit next to each other, we agreed that next time we're on an OS TATL, we'll each get a throne and sit a bit further apart.
flyingislove likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by flyingislove
Hi all,
On that route ive done OS J recently, and TG F a while longer back.

given most everything else the same, i always prefer to depart with the local flagship carrier
flyingislove likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I flew from VIE to LAX yesterday on OS, seat 5G. The pre-departure situation at the gate was interesting as they segregated business class in a separate area closer to the jetway. I got lucky and the seat next to me was empty, so tons of privacy. There appeared to be 5-7 empty seats in business class. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the catering, too many beef and pork items on the menu (I'm allergic to pork), no ice cream service that I had read about (perhaps that was discontinued?), and the seat was not all that comfortable no matter what position I put it in.

On the plus side, the berry & Prosecco pre-daparture drink was delicious, the coffee service was very nice (I chose the one with Bailey's), and the choice of movies was pretty good (I viewed 4 movies plus a 1-hour documentary on the 12:20 flight). The service was good, there seemed to be a high number of FAs in the cabin. I'm short and absolutely could not reach high enough to open the overhead bins, that was frustrating as I had to get an FA to help me. The amenity kit was OK, quite attractive actually with the charcoal and red color scheme. I wouldn't go out of my way to book OS again (I was on an award ticket), the catering on TK is much better IMO.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deniah
On that route ive done OS J recently, and TG F a while longer back.

given most everything else the same, i always prefer to depart with the local flagship carrier
I decided on OS over TG from BKK-VIE, and I don't regret it at the slightest. Such wonderful service with sincerity, one of the best flights I've taken in a long time. And great food!!!
Traveller999 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.