Search

New A First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK I/O, BA Gold, UAGS, Sirius Gold
New A First Class Lounge

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I can't find it

I am coming in from BOS and connecting to NRT in F. I have a 7 hour connection so was hoping to grab one of the few sleep rooms in one of the F lounges or FCT. Does the new F lounge in A have these rooms? Is this lounge mostly for those continuing in to Europe and to far out of the way for me? I usually start in FRA & use the FCT. I m happy to walk over there when I land @ 5:30 AM but am afraid the rooms will be taken by then as well

Any help would be appreciated?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Ctheexpat

I am coming in from BOS and connecting to NRT in F. I have a 7 hour connection so was hoping to grab one of the few sleep rooms in one of the F lounges or FCT. Does the new F lounge in A have these rooms? Is this lounge mostly for those continuing in to Europe and to far out of the way for me? I usually start in FRA & use the FCT. I m happy to walk over there when I land @ 5:30 AM but am afraid the rooms will be taken by then as well

New FCL A/Z has 2 sleeper rooms, same as FCT & FCLB but it is always first come, first served
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

The new FCL in A has two sleeping rooms but the lounge is in Schengen (entrance next to the Business Lounge between gate A13 and the central atrium) and you will have to go through passport control twice if you want to use it. There is a non-Schengen FCL above gate B22 which also has two sleeping rooms.

These sleeping rooms have a sheet, a proper pillow and a duvet on the day bed, while the two sleeping rooms in the FCT are more spartan.

Depending on where your flight from BOS arrives I'd go to whichever FCL that seems more convenient. In order to go to the FCL A you will have to go through passport control, in order to go to the FCL B you will probably have to go through transfer security. There have been various reports by FTers who tried to go to the FCL they were entitled to access but could not because they did not have a BP for a flight departing from the area. Whether you can access the FCL A or FCL B might depend on the whim of security personnel on the day. The last two times (10 days ago and yesterday) when I went through transfer security in B they didn't ask to see my BP as long as I didn't try to go through the fast lane but a few weeks ago an FTer whose flight was departing from Z was not allowed to go through the same security checkpoint to visit the FCL B "because there is another FCL in A". YMMV.

They will drive you to the NRT flight from either the FCL B or the FCT, but if you end up in the FCL A you will have to go through passport control and walk to your departure gate!

Sleeping room FCT (they do have a blanket)

Sleeping room FCL B
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK I/O, BA Gold, UAGS, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The new FCL in A has two sleeping rooms but the lounge is in Schengen (entrance next to the Business Lounge between gate A13 and the central atrium) and you will have to go through passport control twice if you want to use it. There is a non-Schengen FCL above gate B22 which also has two sleeping rooms.

These sleeping rooms have a sheet, a proper pillow and a duvet on the day bed, while the two sleeping rooms in the FCT are more spartan.

Depending on where your flight from BOS arrives I'd go to whichever FCL that seems more convenient. In order to go to the FCL A you will have to go through passport control, in order to go to the FCL B you will probably have to go through transfer security. There have been various reports by FTers who tried to go to the FCL they were entitled to access but could not because they did not have a BP for a flight departing from the area. Whether you can access the FCL A or FCL B might depend on the whim of security personnel on the day. The last two times (10 days ago and yesterday) when I went through transfer security in B they didn't ask to see my BP as long as I didn't try to go through the fast lane but a few weeks ago an FTer whose flight was departing from Z was not allowed to go through the same security checkpoint to visit the FCL B "because there is another FCL in A". YMMV.

They will drive you to the NRT flight from either the FCL B or the FCT, but if you end up in the FCL A you will have to go through passport control and walk to your departure gate!

Sleeping room FCT (they do have a blanket)

Sleeping room FCL B
Thanks. Great information. I've used the sleep rooms in the FCT a number if times. The ones in B do look more comfortable based in your pictures. I p'll stay away from A lounge since my NRT flight is sure to depart from C.

I've found a great trick (maybe I should keep it to myself . When departing the US and requiring a sleep room I ask the lounge in BO'S, JFK, etc to call ahead (or send a message) to the FCT & reserve it. They will always do this with no promises but when I arrive at the FCT the room is already reserved for me. They say the same thing every time. "we are not supposed to do this but since you have such a long connection AND are in a full fare tkt, we will make an exception". I've been lucky that its worked each time. Have not tried it with award travel but can't hurt to try
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Thanks. Great information. I've used the sleep rooms in the FCT a number if times. The ones in B do look more comfortable based in your pictures. I p'll stay away from A lounge since my NRT flight is sure to depart from C.
The base is the same but at least they provide a sheet and a duvet rather than just a blanket in the FCL B.

NRT flights depart from Z since the opening of the new Pier A+.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AND are in a full fare tkt, we will make an exception".
I think those are the magic words to reserving a room.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I think those are the magic words to reserving a room.
And to get a full-size duck.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: *G
wait wait what is this full size duck ?? now i need a mama duck to complement the baby !
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
wait wait what is this full size duck ?? now i need a mama duck to complement the baby !
The full size duck is quite secretly guarded information here on Flyertalk. It is in the same status as the secret code ring that used to come in the cereal box. I would like to tell you more however alas cannot. I keep my full size duck in the safe next to the bearer bonds.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I keep my full size duck in the safe next to the bearer bonds.
You have one of these? You must have a very large safe.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by deniah
Just be careful w these ducks. Emirates Towers has an evil looking black duck they put in the bathtubs for you. I put it next to my LH FCL / FCT duck collection only to find the LH ducks had scattered. It's a scary looking duck. (My GF painted a suicide vest on it
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:28 am

The large duck has landed in SYD.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-20897522
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:57 pm

I agreed with the posters here... definitely go to the First Class lounge near gate B22, if you want to avoid exiting immigration. (And if you decide to exit immigration, I will just go to the First Class Terminal, as the security personnel at FRA has been very unfriendly). I had a similar situation in November and my flight to IAD was leaving from Z gates, but my UK flight arrived at Pier B. The security personnel told me that I should go straight to Z gates, but I told him that I want to use the first class lounge near gate B22. He told me that there were first class lounges at Z gates (which were 100% not true as the security personnel and even some Lufthansa staffs are not aware of the differentiations among different LH lounges), but I told him no, so he just said, "okay". Just be persistence and they will let you through. The FCL at B22 is similar to other LH F class lounges and I love the apron view. There are sleeping rooms, showers and other facilities identical to FCT. I got a ride to the Z gate too for my IAD flight, which was much appreciated.

You can dig up my Thanksgiving trip report if you want pictures of the actual lounge.

Carfield
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I don't see why security would give anyone a problem entering A/Z if they depart from B or visa versa. I had a flight out of C last summer so planned to use the B FCL. However I had some friend arriving that morning from the States (on UA) and connecting to a European flight in C on LH. We made plans to meet for breakfast in the A terminal. When going thru security the security guy pointed out I was in the wrong place and I just told him I'm meeting some friends and would use the tunnel to get over to B later. He just waived me right thru
Old Jan 7, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Carfield
I had a similar situation in November and my flight to IAD was leaving from Z gates, but my UK flight arrived at Pier B. The security personnel told me that I should go straight to Z gates, but I told him that I want to use the first class lounge near gate B22. He told me that there were first class lounges at Z gates (which were 100% not true as the security personnel and even some Lufthansa staffs are not aware of the differentiation among different LH lounges), but I told him no, so he just said, "okay". Just be persistence and they will let you through.
+1 however, in my case even with persistence the security guy refused to let me go to FCL near gate B22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.