DYKWIA Master Thread???

Old Dec 15, 12, 1:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Posts: 2,119
DYKWIA Master Thread???

I wondered if we should start a DYKWIA master thread and compile these stories together? Thoughts?

Anyhoo.... I checked in for MAN-MUC last week at the Business check in and this guy joins the queue demanding to know if everyone in front of him is entitled to be in that queue (*G, LH*S, Business, etc.). He gets to the counter next to me and demands an exit row seat. Denied. Ends up with 8E. Cue the stompy feet. He then demands a Fast Track sticker for security. Denied. Then starts the hissy fit.

"I am a Miles and More Silver flyer. I had to fly three times round the world to get this status and I get nothing for it!" (Clearly DYKWIA behaviour).

The check-in agent comes back with the ultimate put down:
"Well sir, things might change after today's flight."
"Why, will I make Gold?"
"No sir, but you'll be in Munich and I work here."

Best thing was he didn't realised he'd been punk'd until he'd left the desk. Next time I saw him he was sitting in the exit row seat he wanted. Guess whose seat that was??? I had him moved so flippin' fast his silver card started to smoulder, and as he moved off to his seat I said, "If you want one of these seats you need to be gold, matie!". Better fireworks than the 4th of July.
roberino is offline  
Old Dec 15, 12, 2:08 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,918
I believe that the DYWKIA threads belong in their respective airline forums. That is why I am moving this thread to the Miles and More Forum, as your anecdote refers to an experience on LH.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is offline  
Old Dec 15, 12, 2:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Posts: 200
Awesome! Thanks for sharing and for putting the guy in his place!
BuckleandBoots is offline  
Old Dec 15, 12, 2:21 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Posts: 2,119
Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
I believe that the DYWKIA threads belong in their respective airline forums. That is why I am moving this thread to the Miles and More Forum, as your anecdote refers to an experience on LH.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Fair enough. Isn't there a way we can share in the hilarity of DYKWIA's on each others' airlines though?
roberino is offline  
Old Dec 15, 12, 2:42 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 549
I'm sure there are countless stories like this.

Someone recently said that they were in the MEL QF J Lounge and someone had their QF Platinum card handing around their neck.....lol.....some people...
Oneworldplus2 is offline  
Old Dec 15, 12, 2:44 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Posts: 2,119
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2 View Post
I'm sure there are countless stories like this.

Someone recently said that they were in the MEL QF J Lounge and someone had their QF Platinum card handing around their neck.....lol.....some people...
Why?
roberino is offline  
Old Dec 15, 12, 5:13 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,262
This happened to a colleague of mine a few months ago in Brussels.

He was standing in line to board his SN flight to Copenhagen. Two boarding lanes were available one for Biz/*G and one for the rest. Everyone have queued up nicely behind their respective lines with my colleague first in the *G line.

Just as boarding wass about to be called a DYKWIA man in a suit comes along and literally halts my colleague, shouting "Business Class!" before cutting him and everyone else in line.

Later onboard the plane my colleague spots the man sitting in seat 8E, which apparently is in B-flex. He stops by and asks "Well since when did they start giving out middle seats in Business Class?", which instantly had the man turn red like a tomato.

Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2 View Post
I'm sure there are countless stories like this.

Someone recently said that they were in the MEL QF J Lounge and someone had their QF Platinum card handing around their neck.....lol.....some people...
Well I've seen people countless of times at the SAS lounges laying out their black Pandion cards on the table for everyone to see. On the flip side however, it's not often you get to see those rare cards, so I wouldn't mind having an extra glance.
LH4116 is offline  
Old Dec 15, 12, 6:12 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LotusLand...
Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Posts: 620
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2 View Post
I'm sure there are countless stories like this.

Someone recently said that they were in the MEL QF J Lounge and someone had their QF Platinum card handing around their neck.....lol.....some people...
Could my story be DYKWIA In Reverse? Mrs T. and I were taking an Austrian flight VIE-LHR in Business en route home in October. The gate area was pandamonium with a full flight with gate staff even measuring people's carryons etc etc. Finally the call went out for Business Class and Star Golds to board but a "lady" in front of us refused to let us through. We waited and tried to inch forward around her but despite seeing what we were trying to do, she refused to move. In the end, I quietly leaned forward and politely asked her to move aside as they were calling us for Business Class and she turned on me and yelled at the top of her voice "of course you are, of course you're Business Class!" and stood her ground. At that point, I lost my patience, and pushed my way past her realising that good manners were wasted on this individual. She probably though that I was just another bl**dy DYKWIA.....
TheOnlyWayTo Fly is offline  
Old Dec 15, 12, 11:41 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Posts: 4,844
I love to see these situations at the airports.

I wonder how this people do not see how pathetic they look.
more4less is offline  
Old Dec 16, 12, 1:20 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Posts: 2,119
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly View Post
Could my story be DYKWIA In Reverse? Mrs T. and I were taking an Austrian flight VIE-LHR in Business en route home in October. The gate area was pandamonium with a full flight with gate staff even measuring people's carryons etc etc. Finally the call went out for Business Class and Star Golds to board but a "lady" in front of us refused to let us through. We waited and tried to inch forward around her but despite seeing what we were trying to do, she refused to move. In the end, I quietly leaned forward and politely asked her to move aside as they were calling us for Business Class and she turned on me and yelled at the top of her voice "of course you are, of course you're Business Class!" and stood her ground. At that point, I lost my patience, and pushed my way past her realising that good manners were wasted on this individual. She probably though that I was just another bl**dy DYKWIA.....
I usually deal with this by saying 'excuse me' in an authoritative voice. People's natural reaction that seems to be to move before their brains have had the chance to fully process it.
roberino is offline  
Old Dec 16, 12, 8:12 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly View Post
Could my story be DYKWIA In Reverse? Mrs T. and I were taking an Austrian flight VIE-LHR in Business en route home in October. The gate area was pandamonium with a full flight with gate staff even measuring people's carryons etc etc. Finally the call went out for Business Class and Star Golds to board but a "lady" in front of us refused to let us through. We waited and tried to inch forward around her but despite seeing what we were trying to do, she refused to move. In the end, I quietly leaned forward and politely asked her to move aside as they were calling us for Business Class and she turned on me and yelled at the top of her voice "of course you are, of course you're Business Class!" and stood her ground. At that point, I lost my patience, and pushed my way past her realising that good manners were wasted on this individual. She probably though that I was just another bl**dy DYKWIA.....
Love that reversal! As you said: good manners lost on her...
sp4294 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 2:23 am
  #12  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN**
Posts: 43,747
Two incidents come to mind:

- boarding a 744 in DTW (the ones they used to send there during the Detroit Auto Show): they call F/C and pax with children. We are in F with an infant in arm (the happy bmi days and some dodo barges ahead and pushes me aside saying something like 'FTL in C, move aside please!'. I just happened to step in his heel (though to see where you are walking when holding a baby) and said 'pardon me, senator with in Infant in F'

- flying back on a sunday from TXL in February: guy next to me had his iphone, blackberry, ipad and laptop all actively open and in use the entire time: while boarding, taxiing, in flight, after landing etc. Just ignored the FAs reminders. kept them all spread around him including our shared middle seat (yes SEN seatblocking works for me). Of course I assumed he knew that things on the empty middle seat that are heavier than a newspaper tend to follow the momentum of the aircraft when the plane lands and the auto brakes do their job. Well, he didn't know that and the laptop had a heavy landing and the iphone slid forward 2-3 rows
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 3:51 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Travelling EMEA
Programs: LH SEN*2
Posts: 798
I got one too, heavy traffic on the main road to our airport, one guy in a Porsche 911, like crazy changing lanes, took over, changed lane..

My lady in our modest swedish car, just kept steady the right lane, well within the speed limits, status shortly before the airport: Volvo #1, Porsche #2, but in a last second attempt, he overtook us shortly before the turn pike, score at turn pike Porsche #1, Volvo #2.

He had of course to leave his car a bid further from the terminal, I had a convenient drop off at the VIP lane, purchased some cigarettes, had a smoke, went to the check in, Porsche approaching...

Then at the *G check in, he tried again his last second attempt, pushed in front of me, the lady at the check-in greeted and called me by my name and gave me my boarding pass (which was printed soon as I entered the departure hall..happens).

Sitting on the aircraft, he was placed in the last busines class row with another guy, needless to say that I...
Bernie2012 is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 4:16 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Posts: 2,119
Originally Posted by Bernie2012 View Post
I got one too, heavy traffic on the main road to our airport, one guy in a Porsche 911, like crazy changing lanes, took over, changed lane..

My lady in our modest swedish car, just kept steady the right lane, well within the speed limits, status shortly before the airport: Volvo #1, Porsche #2, but in a last second attempt, he overtook us shortly before the turn pike, score at turn pike Porsche #1, Volvo #2.

He had of course to leave his car a bid further from the terminal, I had a convenient drop off at the VIP lane, purchased some cigarettes, had a smoke, went to the check in, Porsche approaching...

Then at the *G check in, he tried again his last second attempt, pushed in front of me, the lady at the check-in greeted and called me by my name and gave me my boarding pass (which was printed soon as I entered the departure hall..happens).

Sitting on the aircraft, he was placed in the last busines class row with another guy, needless to say that I...
... Yes? What? The suspense is killing me.
roberino is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 4:27 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Travelling EMEA
Programs: LH SEN*2
Posts: 798
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
... Yes? What? The suspense is killing me.
Well, *G gets you very often on 1A and I was smiling into myselves halve of the flight about this guy who made a total mess, was risking his drivers license of the way to the airport, tried to push himselves in front wherever he could and gained nothing... (there was plenty of time).
Bernie2012 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread