DYKWIA Master Thread???

Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A one time swap is usually OK with LH.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by mamb0
On LH?
Yes, but operated by Privateair. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by Redhat72
Yes, but operated by Privateair. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Might be. As Oliver2002 said, onetime swap is mostly unproblematic. What they try to prevent is a constant back and forth between classes.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
UAConvert on the UA forum had posted this:
About three weeks ago, I was flying IAH-CAI RT via FRA (and ORD on the way home). On the first leg of my return from Cairo to Frankfurt, I was on an LH A321, seated in the 3rd row of Y (11C, to be precise), which is an exit row. Because of my *G status, I was one of the first to board in the priority boarding group. I wanted to get my items in the bin and get settled so the herd could do their thing. This location gave me prime, unobstructed viewing of the incidents that were about to take place.

The flight departed at 3 A.M., so admittedly, most people were probably tired and not at their best. However, midway through boarding a young American woman in J starts asking for the purser. She starts saying "This is first class?! This is the worst first class I've ever seen! It's exactly the same as coach but with the middle seat blocked! I paid five times more than they all did [pointing into the Y cabin]! I cannot believe I paid all of this money for this!"

Now, I admit, if I were a novice flyer who didn't know about the standard European domestic/regional product, and only found out when I boarded, I too, would probably be disappointed. However, she made such a scene, it was embarrassing. The purser, in a typical warm, cuddly German fashion said, "Just write a letter. There's nothing we can do here. If you want something changed write a letter." I did nothing in all this, but watch intently.

Of course, her male companion was also the one, who in the middle of final approach, less than 90 seconds before touchdown, decided to stand up to put his shoes on, forcing the FA to yell at him to sit down immediately twice (which he ignored), before she had to unstrap herself to force him down, endangering her own safety in the process.

Suffice it say, while I understood her disappointment, I was embarrassed for her behavior. I instantly found myself thinking, "This is why people hate Americans." It's not exactly a DYKWIA story, but it is one of entitlement and boisterous rudeness.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I instantly found myself thinking, "This is why people hate Americans.[/I]
Or the European C product
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
What a dumb b*tch I would have given her a piece of my mind stepping off the plane.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:07 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Now, I admit, if I were a novice flyer who didn't know about the standard European domestic/regional product, and only found out when I boarded, I too, would probably be disappointed.
Sure. Egypt, Israel, and Lebanon are European regions. Even with knowing the standard European product I'd be surprised, if not to say pissed, to find this out after boarding an aircraft.

HTB.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: AMEX DL
I wonder how these people do not see how pathetic they look.
So true and I wonder how they got far enough in society to afford a plane ticket.
Old May 3, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Worth necroing this ancient thread for a funny anecdote from my ZRH-MXP flight on LX last night.

Boarding starts, with a priority queue already well-formed (this particular flight was quite heavy with premium pax). A short guy in his 50s skips the whole queue and approaches the gate, with a silver first-class ticket folder in his hand and no less than three pieces of hand luggage.

Agent: "Sir, can you please put your luggage here?" *points to the weighing scale*
Pax: "I am HON circle."
Agent: "Sir, I just want to weigh it."
Pax: "I fly a million miles per year."
Agent: "I understand, but there are rules that apply even to you."
Pax: "What is your name?"
Agent: "My name is right here." *shows nametag on his shirt*
Pax: "I want to speak to your supervisor."
Agent: "OK sir." *proceeds to call the supervisor by phone*

Sadly I didn't get to see the rest of the situation because I boarded myself, but the guy entered the plane (with all of his luggage) some 15 minutes later, so I presumed he bullied the supervisor into letting him board.

At the beginning I thought the LX agent was being overzealous (and he probably was), but nothing warrants the kind of disdainful DYKWIA treatment the passenger gave him. I found it really amusing that people would create this kind of awkward situation in public.
Old May 3, 2023, 6:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Does LX even hand out the silver F ticket folder?
Old May 3, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Does LX even hand out the silver F ticket folder?
Some outstations with a shared check in desk will provide LX F/HON with a LH FC folder.

And in other good news, in order to avoid this DYKWIA behavior they have got white folders now.

chris63 likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:48 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Thanks for resurrecting

I almost thought LH do not have DYKWIA‘s.
chris63 likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by MichielR
Some outstations with a shared check in desk will provide LX F/HON with a LH FC folder.

And in other good news, in order to avoid this DYKWIA behavior they have got white folders now.

Is that a printing error ?

Still the Red & Silver ex MAN
MichielR likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by gojko88

At the beginning I thought the LX agent was being overzealous (and he probably was), but nothing warrants the kind of disdainful DYKWIA treatment the passenger gave him. I found it really amusing that people would create this kind of awkward situation in public.
There are some rather officious gate agents at ZRH & for a HON there ought to be some leeway, they do keep promising us the very best service & attention……. of course all pax, including HON need to be polite to LX Staff
Old May 6, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Two recent cases:
PRN-VIE, almost full flight in Y and one pax in C (most probably, a staff member of the EC, as she carried her Laissez-Passer like the most precious item that has ever been discovered). I was in Y, sat in my 3C seat, with row 2 being used as C class but empty. When the boarding finished, the purser came to me with the usual "thank you for flying" and suggested that I move to row 2 but highlighting that she had only one meal for C. I thanked for the offer and said that even if was in C, I would not be eating, but appreciate extra space. So, I moved and sat at 2A, while the other pax was in 1F. When the 1F came back from the restroom, she noticed me, called the purser and said quite loudly "The passenger in row 2 does not belong here. I checked the at the check in counter, I am the only BUSINESS class passenger". I don't know what the purser said but she turned back to look at me and turned away, not being too happy and said again "But this is business class. People from economy cannot sit here." I went to the purser and said that I am OK to move back to my seat if this is causing some issues. The purser said "Oh please don't. It's all fine." During the flight I was offered full bar and some spontaneous creation from the crew: bread, fruit and nuts. We landed, of course remote stand and... I saw her again on my flight to BRU, both of us seating in Y.

ZRH-GRU, as always pre and post C19, full in all classes. I was in F and was picked up from the remote stand and driven to the gate, When we got to E terminal, I thanked the driver and suggested that I can make my own way to the gate and she can go back, as it was already late. When I got to the gate, the boarding was mid way, with F must have already boarded, as F/HON line was empty and C was moving ahead. I went to F line and stood there for 5 seconds. The pax from C line that I was supposed to use to scan the BP, says "This is only for business class. Economy is not boarding yet. Are you in business class?" I replied to the passenger "No, I am not in business class." The agent saw me, waved at me, scanned my BP and said "Enjoy our first class" and winked at me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.