Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Booked business, was rebooked in Y. LH does not want to give compensation.

Booked business, was rebooked in Y. LH does not want to give compensation.

Reply

Old Dec 14, 12, 12:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In between BRU, AMS, DUS and LUX...
Programs: AF/KL Gold, LH FTL, BA Gold, TK Elite, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Diamond, A-Club Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 514
Booked business, was rebooked in Y. LH does not want to give compensation.

Hi all,

I am currently having an issue with LH.
I basically booked a RT ticket last week between GVA and HEL via FRA last sunday (Dec 9th) and return HEL-GVA tomorrow via MUC.
Booked the 2 first legs in Z, return in Q.
At the airport in Geneva, I got rebooked on LH1219 instead of LH1223 at check-in because of the snow in FRA. The check in agent told me that this flight was few hours late but it will be the first flight to arrive in FRA so I can get my connection to HEL. A nice touch.
As I was waiting in the Senator lounge, and the time was flying, the lounge agent called my name and told me that she received a message to rebook me on AY direct flight. I knew this flight was full for several days already, but it took about 2 hours to the agent to get the ticket issued, she told me to go at the gate to get the boarding pass. At the gate, the Dnata agent (who handles AY flights out the GVA), told me that the flight was full and gave me a BP for 09D, the last seat of the plane (The guy in front of me was actually upgraded to 01A). Not a big deal as I was happy to get a seat to HEL and was ready to file for compensation under EU 261/2004 to LH.
The agent confirmed that my luggage should be transferred (a case with specific tools required for my visit to my Finnish customer).
Arrived in HEL at midnight, no luggage showed up and the Finnair agent confirmed that my luggage was never registered in the AY system. Ahem.
After making a dozen of call the next day (at the customer site - ahem), I figured out the luggage was in FRA and should arrive in HEL at some point with LH. I decided to go straight to the airport on monday night and asked to ISS (the LH handing agent in HEL) if they got any news of my luggage, and insisted given the fact my PIR was starting with HELAY...
She told me that she got no news. At this point. I saw my luggage turning on the belt (the last LH flight landed 3 hours before) and got it back. I guess that if I did not see that one, I would still be waiting for my luggage.
So I filed a complain for all of these issues, expecting at least they would compensate the downgrading per EU 261/2004.

I received a call today from Liverpool. They are basically telling me that I am not eligible to compensation per EU 261/2004 as I did not take the original flight I booked. Also, the guy told me that LH booked a C class ticket for me and I had to scan my BP to prove that I flew Y.
When I asked to the guy to send me a confirmation that C was booked, so I can file a claim to AY (instead of LH) he told me that he was not able to confirm C class was actually booked, but just requested.
Concerning the luggage, the company lost about 2500 USD (price we charge per day) as I was not able to work the first day. Bare apologies from the guy, who basically told me I should be happy I received my luggage back within 24 hours (=> this was because I moved my butt and went to the airport myself).

I had to deal a few times with LH customer care center and was mostly happy at the end of the call, but not this time.

Do you think I am eligible to get the 50% compensation per EU 261/2004 ?
To get the miles, he told me to contact M&M. I am 4000 miles short to renew my SEN status for next year and was counting on this flight. Do you think I will get the miles ?

Cheers,
palmanfr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 12, 1:46 pm
  #2  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,749
M&M will credit you the miles as originally booked. If you get rebooked due to weather Eu261/04 only requires airlines to make sure you get fed etc ('right to care') but no comp for downgrades (especially if the rebooked you in C but the operating airline put you in Y) or delays. Sh... äh, sorry snow happens.
oliver2002 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 12, 3:08 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
M&M will credit you the miles as originally booked. If you get rebooked due to weather Eu261/04 only requires airlines to make sure you get fed etc ('right to care') but no comp for downgrades (especially if the rebooked you in C but the operating airline put you in Y) or delays. Sh... äh, sorry snow happens.
mmm...he paid for C and got Y...and no compensation? where is the logic?
photographer2012 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 12, 3:21 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North-Western Germany [BRE]
Programs: LH [FTL]
Posts: 211
Well, there must be an option available for the airline to offer a flight without any compensation during these irrop days. I mean, in summary the choice was between going early in Y, direct flight with third airline or wait for many hours till a seat in C becomes available. Sorry, I would really be happy to take the first option. But I do agree that there might be some different rules in the official legal framework.
FlyingStefan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 12, 3:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Munich, Germany
Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 6,170
Originally Posted by photographer2012 View Post
mmm...he paid for C and got Y...and no compensation? where is the logic?
If a reservation in C was confirmed and AY downgraded the pax, then AY is liable for downgrade compensation.
rcs85551 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 12, 9:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Programs: marriott platinum
Posts: 20
Angry

Originally Posted by palmanfr View Post
Hi all,

I am currently having an issue with LH.
I basically booked a RT ticket last week between GVA and HEL via FRA last sunday (Dec 9th) and return HEL-GVA tomorrow via MUC.
Booked the 2 first legs in Z, return in Q.
At the airport in Geneva, I got rebooked on LH1219 instead of LH1223 at check-in because of the snow in FRA. The check in agent told me that this flight was few hours late but it will be the first flight to arrive in FRA so I can get my connection to HEL. A nice touch.
As I was waiting in the Senator lounge, and the time was flying, the lounge agent called my name and told me that she received a message to rebook me on AY direct flight. I knew this flight was full for several days already, but it took about 2 hours to the agent to get the ticket issued, she told me to go at the gate to get the boarding pass. At the gate, the Dnata agent (who handles AY flights out the GVA), told me that the flight was full and gave me a BP for 09D, the last seat of the plane (The guy in front of me was actually upgraded to 01A). Not a big deal as I was happy to get a seat to HEL and was ready to file for compensation under EU 261/2004 to LH.
The agent confirmed that my luggage should be transferred (a case with specific tools required for my visit to my Finnish customer).
Arrived in HEL at midnight, no luggage showed up and the Finnair agent confirmed that my luggage was never registered in the AY system. Ahem.
After making a dozen of call the next day (at the customer site - ahem), I figured out the luggage was in FRA and should arrive in HEL at some point with LH. I decided to go straight to the airport on monday night and asked to ISS (the LH handing agent in HEL) if they got any news of my luggage, and insisted given the fact my PIR was starting with HELAY...
She told me that she got no news. At this point. I saw my luggage turning on the belt (the last LH flight landed 3 hours before) and got it back. I guess that if I did not see that one, I would still be waiting for my luggage.
So I filed a complain for all of these issues, expecting at least they would compensate the downgrading per EU 261/2004.

I received a call today from Liverpool. They are basically telling me that I am not eligible to compensation per EU 261/2004 as I did not take the original flight I booked. Also, the guy told me that LH booked a C class ticket for me and I had to scan my BP to prove that I flew Y.
When I asked to the guy to send me a confirmation that C was booked, so I can file a claim to AY (instead of LH) he told me that he was not able to confirm C class was actually booked, but just requested.
Concerning the luggage, the company lost about 2500 USD (price we charge per day) as I was not able to work the first day. Bare apologies from the guy, who basically told me I should be happy I received my luggage back within 24 hours (=> this was because I moved my butt and went to the airport myself).

I had to deal a few times with LH customer care center and was mostly happy at the end of the call, but not this time.

Do you think I am eligible to get the 50% compensation per EU 261/2004 ?
To get the miles, he told me to contact M&M. I am 4000 miles short to renew my SEN status for next year and was counting on this flight. Do you think I will get the miles ?

Cheers,
Do what most of the SEN people are doing defect to another airline, where the quaulity still remain, or the cheap ticket where you only pay for what you get. The Coffee has boiled over and LH can still not smell it! Once the traffic drops and the Customer services are laid off. And the Execs don't get their fat cat bonus, they may think back to the days when Luffty was a name to be proud to fly.

BTW make sure you save your Finair stub and start a BA account. Until the LH management wake up. people need to use their feet and sample One world and Skyteam.
LH SEN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 1:10 am
  #7  
htb
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Posts: 4,580
Originally Posted by FlyingStefan View Post
Well, there must be an option available for the airline to offer a flight without any compensation during these irrop days.
Why? He paid C and flew Y. I don't see how the airline can simply pocket the fare difference because there was snow.

HTB.
htb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 1:25 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In between BRU, AMS, DUS and LUX...
Programs: AF/KL Gold, LH FTL, BA Gold, TK Elite, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Diamond, A-Club Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by FlyingStefan View Post
Well, there must be an option available for the airline to offer a flight without any compensation during these irrop days. I mean, in summary the choice was between going early in Y, direct flight with third airline or wait for many hours till a seat in C becomes available. Sorry, I would really be happy to take the first option. But I do agree that there might be some different rules in the official legal framework.
I am not complaining at all about the fact I got rebooked on AY. The lounge agent did a great job trying to find a seat on this plane. I am just saying that I paid for C and and flew on Y (not a big deal per say, especially on european flights but not something normal and I should get a compensation for the price paid EU261/2004 or not). What annoyed me the most is the delayed luggage which basically lost me a day of work and causes the fact that I will go back to finland next week, and will most likely not get a week end of rest as I am currently in the LH2467 in STR as we got diverted out of MUC and we don't really know when we will be leaving STR.

Do what most of the SEN people are doing defect to another airline, where the quaulity still remain, or the cheap ticket where you only pay for what you get. The Coffee has boiled over and LH can still not smell it! Once the traffic drops and the Customer services are laid off. And the Execs don't get their fat cat bonus, they may think back to the days when Luffty was a name to be proud to fly.

BTW make sure you save your Finair stub and start a BA account. Until the LH management wake up. people need to use their feet and sample One world and Skyteam.
I have not book my flight to get back to HEL tomorrow but will most likely go back with KL, AY or try BA. I just my miles will be credited to M&M for both journeys as I am 4000 miles short in total. Thanks LHSEN, I got matched to BA gold from my old BMI account earlier this year and got my first OW flight credited yesterday (the AY flight from last sunday). More already booked for next year...
For the last 2 months, I got very disappointed from LH, so next year, I will not fly *A anymore I guess.

Cheers,

Last edited by palmanfr; Dec 15, 12 at 1:37 am
palmanfr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 1:42 am
  #9  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
.... happens when there are significant delays when there is snow. Delayed luggage is simply one of them. It can be a pain, but that's what cabin luggage is for, and when in C you can take two bags.

Not a very nice thing to experience, but probably more to do with the baggage handlers than LH. Flying with others might not change that much.
RTW1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 4:50 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Programs: LH Senator, AF Silver, BA Bronze
Posts: 736
One could argue that LH do not owe downgrade compensation (as the rebooking was due to force majeure) but is the OP not entitled to a refund of the fare difference between C and Y?
planestupid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 4:57 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Travelling EMEA
Programs: LH SEN*2
Posts: 798
Palmanfr, you have probably mistyped the booking classes in your OP:

Booked the 2 first legs in Z, return in Q.
Bernie2012 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 4:58 am
  #12  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,800
Originally Posted by planestupid View Post
One could argue that LH do not owe downgrade compensation (as the rebooking was due to force majeure) but is the OP not entitled to a refund of the fare difference between C and Y?
If he does he won't get the miles he needs....and I presume that's why he has booked Z class. And being on a company paid trip, what's more valuable.
RTW1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 5:22 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In between BRU, AMS, DUS and LUX...
Programs: AF/KL Gold, LH FTL, BA Gold, TK Elite, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Diamond, A-Club Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
If he does he won't get the miles he needs....and I presume that's why he has booked Z class. And being on a company paid trip, what's more valuable.
Originally Posted by Bernie2012 View Post
Palmanfr, you have probably mistyped the booking classes in your OP:
Actually, I have the itinerary receipt in front of me:
- LH1223 (which then bacame LH1219) GVA-FRA - 09DEC2012 - Class Z
- LH854 - FRA-HEL - 09DEC2012 - Class Z
- LH2467 - HEL-MUC - 15DEC2012 - Class Q (Upgraded to I using an evoucher). Diverted today to STR and arrived in MUC at 1100 instead of 0805.
- LH2382 - MUC-GVA - 15DEC2012 - Class Q. Flight was delayed of 1h30min but then has been cancelled minutes ago, was reooked on LH2384, still in Q.
Expect to arrive in GVA at 1640 instead of 1225.

Before all these flights, my status mileage balance is at 96022 miles. I choose to double my status miles on the MUC-GVA route for this year, so even booked all in Q, I would have requalify for SEN, barely.
I booked in Z because it was the last seat available to HEL. (booked ticket 2 days only before departure).
palmanfr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 5:26 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In between BRU, AMS, DUS and LUX...
Programs: AF/KL Gold, LH FTL, BA Gold, TK Elite, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Diamond, A-Club Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by planestupid View Post
One could argue that LH do not owe downgrade compensation (as the rebooking was due to force majeure) but is the OP not entitled to a refund of the fare difference between C and Y?
Following my phone conversation with LH service center yesterday, the guy told me that if I was able to send a scanned copy of my BP proving that I flew in economy with finnair, then they would refund me the difference vs an economy ticket. But I have no idea which booking calss they will consider.
If they consider the price difference between booking classes Y and Z on this route, we are talking about somthing 50CHF I think...
I would easily pay for Z, but almost never buy Y booking class (B might be my maximum... )
palmanfr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 12, 5:40 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Travelling EMEA
Programs: LH SEN*2
Posts: 798
Originally Posted by palmanfr View Post
Actually, I have the itinerary receipt in front of me:
- LH1223 (which then bacame LH1219) GVA-FRA - 09DEC2012 - Class Z
- LH854 - FRA-HEL - 09DEC2012 - Class Z
- LH2467 - HEL-MUC - 15DEC2012 - Class Q (Upgraded to I using an evoucher). Diverted today to STR and arrived in MUC at 1100 instead of 0805.
- LH2382 - MUC-GVA - 15DEC2012 - Class Q. Flight was delayed of 1h30min but then has been cancelled minutes ago, was reooked on LH2384, still in Q.
Expect to arrive in GVA at 1640 instead of 1225.

Before all these flights, my status mileage balance is at 96022 miles. I choose to double my status miles on the MUC-GVA route for this year, so even booked all in Q, I would have requalify for SEN, barely.
I booked in Z because it was the last seat available to HEL. (booked ticket 2 days only before departure).
If that is what you have paid for, you should receive IMO 5002 miles including executive bonus and congratulations to your requalification, December 15 seems like a late call

Just for the comfort, there are the ladies in the lurker treat, they are pretty sharp in those things.
Bernie2012 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread