Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brussels Airlines: which booking class is which service?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:57 am

Well, ZRH-BRU is still insanely expensive. On the GVA-BRU route there's easyjet's competition.

That said, if all else fails, I remember reading somewhere on FT that the Saudia website seems to be able to cope with most PNRs:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-all-pnrs.html

See if that helps!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
There had actually been a sale on for that route this weekend, prices down to CHF119 apparently. Thank you for the reminder about the Saudia website. I had always associated it only with Skyteam airlines, so was a bit surprised when you mentioned it. As it happened, nothing happened, it didn't recognize either the expedia or Brussels Airlines booking codes.

Tomorrow I will be in Zurich Airport, so I will go to the counter and ask them if everything is in order. Come to think of it, I think that SWISS handle Brussels Airlines at ZRH, so there probably is no counter.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
As it happened, nothing happened, it didn't recognize either the expedia or Brussels Airlines booking codes.
Did you try with the e-ticket number? I think the Saudia website works with those and not with the booking codes. I just tried pulling up two SQ itineraries, one worked while the other didn't, so YMMV.

Or try contacting SN on Facebook. They are quite responsive there, but please don't be that guy posting their PNR and last name for everyone to see
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely nothing worked. In the end, a very nice lady at Swissport (handling agents) at GVA airport pulled it up for me. When I asked at the SWISS Business counter in Zurich, the woman was so rude (was it really necessary?). SWISS is still one of my favourite airlines, but an Economy ticket on Brussels Airlines??? They just didn't want to know, even though they are handling agents at ZRH. Bon, enfin, with her, the answer was NO before I even reached the counter and said anything. It is so rare that I meet anybody like that on my travels, re airline staff.

It would seem that K, L and S class book into something that is now called Light&Relax:

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-b...s/default.aspx

But I think this is new concept, replacing the previous b.light nonsense. Difficult to say. Here are a couple of further links to scratch your heads over:

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-b...omparison.aspx

http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-b...l-classes.aspx

Another unresolvable discrepancy (before actually flying and experiencing it, that is): the nice Swissport lady at GVA said that I would have to pay to check a bag and catering was included (even though it's the equivalent of half a small packet of peanuts, she said). In reality, I think actually that the Light&Relax concept, as opposed to the b.light idea, will offer a free checked bad and BOB catering. One thing about the airlines is that I think all this stuff should be clearer and pared down. Does it cost to check a bag or doesn't it? I got had by Iberia Express once because of this. And let me tell you, that's a carrier to avoid.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
My experience is that indeed you cannot pull up your itinary when you book a check&go via an OTA (in my case tripsta).

You can use the confirmation to log on 24hrs in advance to choose your seat though.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So no chance to bid for an upgrade, then? Not that one would really want to on these short routes!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:41 am

No.. no upgrade bids. But flying anything more then economy on a short haul in europe is for me a waste of money. (except if it's a 7th freedom route long haul plane)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Totally right. However, the one time I did do it recently (on OS) the flight ended up being canceled and I was able to rebook on a couple of extra segments instead of just sitting waiting 4 hours in VIE! Did quite well in terms of extra points and nice catering! Agree with you totally in principle, though.

My SN flights (my first with this airline) are in mid March, so I will report back as to which class books into which service. There isn't a whole lot on this forum about the SN experience, so I'll give a bit of feedback about that, too, although you can probably guess what it will be like.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:19 am

Well.. I'm only a leisure traveller so can't talk about the business flying experience.. however if you have status on star... and time.. you might try their new lounge which seems to be rather nice.

Other then this... I think it's like flying the rest of the group... except on pack and go (or what is it called) where it's FR style but from a main airport and with better customer service.

I was happy flying one of their airbusses recently instead of their old avro's. I must say I would rate my LH flight from a few years back being of a higher quality level though... but with delays flying in and out of FRA and luggage delayed one day as a result.. so.. that set it back. BRU being less congested is a pro.

Their african product does get good reviews in comparison with the competition.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:25 am

The fare rules would indicate which booking class maps to which service.

For European flights:

Light and Relax: L, T, S, N, K, W, L, E, V, Q, H, U
Flex and Fast: M, B, Y
Bizz and Class: P, Z, D, J, C

It's more or less like b.light/b.flex, although b.flex also included H and U iirc.

Concerning Check&Go: apparently these are only published on the SN website and not on other channels, so it seems to me that any ticket bought using a published fare on another channel will map to at least Light and Relax. I have no details on Check&Go, but a quick search on their website reveals that these are also N-fares (inter alia?). But when I click on the fare rules, they are very simplified and do not indicate any booking class. It seems to me that they book into the same letter as the fare (N-fare to N-class) and earn miles according to that class, the only difference being no checked luggage (which is a restriction stored in the ticket) and no option to change the ticket. Check&Go is probably a product that lives solely in SN's own world with limited inventory pulled from Light and Relax booking classes and is not shared outside of their world (like FR): no published fares, no bookings using other channels than SN website, ticket not stored in reservation systems (since there is no published fare anyway), etc. This means that it is possible that one passenger in N-class is subject to another service than another passenger in N-class, although that doesn't matter for the on-board product.

Last edited by mozilla; Feb 26, 2015 at 5:43 am
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a bit help, thanks very much. It seems that SN recently changed the names they call various products, so the product I am looking at is now called Light&Relax. I am expecting this to include one free bag to 23kg and no free catering (having said that, I don't even need to check a bag, but it's nice to know just in case).

I believe you must be thinking of the KLM offers which are called Pack and Go, Koja78, which are pretty good offers.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:52 am

@mozilla

I booked check&go via OTA (tripsta.de)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Koja78
@mozilla

I booked check&go via OTA (tripsta.de)
Well, I tried to book a Check&Go (RT BRU-BCN (route with lots of competition) 16-26 jun) that is available on the SN website, but tripsta.de doesn't offer the Check&Go fare for those dates, it rather offers the Relax fare in the same booking class.

I'm not saying it is not possible, if SN would give certain travel agents access to Check&Go inventory it is possible for sure. But the Check&Go fares are not published on IATA, so an "ordinary" IATA travel agent would not be able to book these fares unless they have some arrangement with SN.

ITA Matrix also doesn't find the Check&Go fare for that date and offers the Relax fare, but that's because ITA checks IATA published fares and has no access to the Check&Go fares.

It's also possible that SN publishes Check&Go fares on IATA for some destinations or seasons only, further investigation would be required.

Last edited by mozilla; Feb 26, 2015 at 6:46 am
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
That's a bit help, thanks very much. It seems that SN recently changed the names they call various products, so the product I am looking at is now called Light&Relax. I am expecting this to include one free bag to 23kg and no free catering (having said that, I don't even need to check a bag, but it's nice to know just in case).

I believe you must be thinking of the KLM offers which are called Pack and Go, Koja78, which are pretty good offers.
If you want to be absolutely certain, search the fare basis code used for your ticket (you can find it on the Saudi website iirc), then search the fare rules, it will indicate which type of service you'll get (and then you can get further information on that service on the SN website). If you can't find the fare on IATA or if your ticket cannot be found on the Saudi website, then it's probably a Check&Go fare.

Type of service is indicated right on top of the fare rules under "RULE APPLICATION AND OTHER CONDITIONS". There you'll find "LIGHT AND RELAX FARE" for example.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:52 am

You might be right on that one.. I don't find those low tariffs anymore either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.