Wiki Posts
Search

Food on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 510k miles, DL 600,000 lifetime
Food on Lufthansa

Doing a TATL on Lufthansa SFO-FRA end of the month I have flown only UA for the last three years and am curious as to what others think of the food on LH. I know what the food is like on UA and bring my own.

Also has anyone used the ICE train - FRA luggage service where they come pick up your luggage the day before and ship it to FRA where you pick it up at the check in spot at the top of the long distance Banhof in the FRA airport?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't find a LH one that wasn't FF oriented.

tim in san jose
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Doing a TATL on Lufthansa SFO-FRA end of the month I have flown only UA for the last three years and am curious as to what others think of the food on LH. I know what the food is like on UA and bring my own.
What class are you flying - Y, J or F?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
Worked for a German Company for 8 years and flew LH many times. The food is very good, but I never cared for the pasta. The beef products were very tasty.

As for the ICE, it's a very nice ride, try to get first class ticket and buy the meal service. The food and the ride is one of the best trains I have ever ridden on. I have used it going from FRA to the Black Forest area and from Mannheim to Munich. The ride is great. Very high speed, comfortable seats, good food and a great bar with service.

I have taken the LH bus from Mannheim to FRA and used the bag service. Once I checked in at the bus terminal, I never saw the bag until I returned to the US in Los Angeles. Nice service and it was free at the time.

Enjoy the trip, Germany is one of my favs.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Let's move this over to the "Miles & More" forum for further discussion of LH and onboard meals. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Personally, I wasn't a big fan of the food on-board. The only good food was at the FCT. My whole experience with LH (NRT-FRA on A380 and MUC-EWR in new F) weren't great. Will have to give them another chance in the future just because of the FCT...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm assuming your are flying coach. Food in LH Y is decent, nothing awe inspiring that you will kneel down and sing praises after having it, but certainly edible, especially if compared to what US and UA have to offer onboard.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I flew SFO-FRA back in Apr and I really don't think LH food is any good. I think they have depreciated since my LH flight to HKG back in Nov 2011 (there was toblerone back then).

If you want good on board food - fly TK and you won't be disappointed.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

I got this for dinner ex-JFK in coach: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B...3/DSCN1312.JPG

And this for breakfast before landing: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...3/DSCN1318.JPG
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I got this for dinner ex-JFK in coach: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-B...3/DSCN1312.JPG

And this for breakfast before landing: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...3/DSCN1318.JPG
The dinner looks nice except the main course. Did they remove the cover for you?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Did they remove the cover for you?
Nope. I have picture with the cover on too

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2...1/DSCN1311.JPG
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold+, LH HON, Starw Plat, RC Plat
Food is poor to average depending on your luck. Never had a good meal in F or C.
Wines are also average to poor.

Food is usually floating in some sauce. Last year from the US Ritz-Carlton did the food and it was very good. This year they have Mandarin Oriental which is quite average.

Eat in the lounge if the option is available or bring your own!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, Eurobonus silver BA bronze Sixt Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle Amex Centurion
I must insist that the food in F on LH is excellent. And in the FCT superb. The wine choices are often horrible (Ch Dassault jet fuel anyone?) but the food IS good. I have just landed after 4 long haul legs in Singapore airlines suites and my wife has done 4 long haul legs on Thai F. We were both completely underwhelmed with each and every main course served and one of mine was actually inedible. I have NEVER received inedible food on LH F. Wine list on both SIA and TG FAR superior, but-as the thread is about food-I would never complain at all. Often exciting, always filling and quite good enough for me. I have also tried BA F and SWISS F which have reasonably good food. I have never tried Emirates/Qatar/Etihad. I think new F on LH ranks aside SIA in their total experience. Just throw out Markus del Monego and get some Ch Leoville Poyferre or Cos d´Estournel and let me enjoy Bollinger Grande annee 1997 instead and I will be the happiest person on Earth.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: Miles and More
Flying constantly ATL-FRA, with LH, i got to say that their food is amazing comparing to all US airlines + BA.
The only airline i would compare food with them is AF
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I flew FRA-SFO last month in J, just few days after QR J. Food on LH is OK, but I would not call is good or great . Given the price I paid and the "fuss" LH makes about their J service on A380, I was not impressed.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by yneris
Flying constantly ATL-FRA, with LH, i got to say that their food is amazing comparing to all US airlines + BA.
The only airline i would compare food with them is AF
*cough* OS *cough* or even LX on a good day. Never mind SQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.