Feedback thread for the official LH Lurker(s), LufthansaGermanAirlines

Old Mar 8, 13, 5:44 am
  #406  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In the heart of Europe
Programs: some
Posts: 1,078
Based on recent experience I assume LH made a decision to de-prioritize HON vs F passengers. IAD check-in recently told me that they HAVE to escort F passengers but that they only escort HON's on REQUEST.
LH-team, it would be good to get some clarity on what services you provide for your HON members and what not. Flying mostly LX I'm glad that they still stick to the original services like escorts, fast tracks, buggies and the like.
verve is offline  
Old Mar 9, 13, 2:03 pm
  #407  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: AMS
Posts: 404
Dear lurkers,

After flying two weeks ago I submitted a complaint about damaged luggage and got an automated reply as below

Dear Mr XXXX,

Thank you for contacting Lufthansa German Airlines.

We have registered your request under Feedback ID 21867980 and have forwarded it to the corresponding department for further handling.

If you would like to send us further information regarding your query, we kindly ask you to quote the Feedback ID as stated above.
Currently, we are facing an exceptionally high amount of enquiries. Consequently, handling your case may take more time than usual. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We ask for your understanding that we are unable to provide you with an update on the status of your feedback and kindly request your patience in awaiting our response.

Please be advised that if you have contacted us regarding a ticket refund, we will forward your request immediately to our refund department. Our colleagues will arrange the corresponding refund handling. As a result of an increased volume of refund requests, we hope for your understanding that the refund process may take longer than normal.

You may find answers to frequently asked questions on our website www.lufthansa.com within the section “Help & Contact“.

Yours sincerely,

Lufthansa German Airlines
Customer Feedback
Does Lufthansa have any restrictions on reaction time for complaints? It's just ridiculous to ask a passenger to submit a complaint about damaged luggage within 1 week after flying if damage is discovered at home, and then make him wait for 2 weeks for any live, non-automated response (I'm pretty sure it can last longer, if not proactively tackled).
maxvor is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 6:43 am
  #408  
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by verve View Post
Based on recent experience I assume LH made a decision to de-prioritize HON vs F passengers. IAD check-in recently told me that they HAVE to escort F passengers but that they only escort HON's on REQUEST.
LH-team, it would be good to get some clarity on what services you provide for your HON members and what not. Flying mostly LX I'm glad that they still stick to the original services like escorts, fast tracks, buggies and the like.
Dear verve,

I will double check the issue regarding escort for HON's and let you know as soon as I know more. Fatime
LufthansaGermanAirlines is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 6:49 am
  #409  
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by maxvor View Post
Dear lurkers,

After flying two weeks ago I submitted a complaint about damaged luggage and got an automated reply as below



Does Lufthansa have any restrictions on reaction time for complaints? It's just ridiculous to ask a passenger to submit a complaint about damaged luggage within 1 week after flying if damage is discovered at home, and then make him wait for 2 weeks for any live, non-automated response (I'm pretty sure it can last longer, if not proactively tackled).
Dear maxvor,

I just contacted Customer Relations who informed me that the handling of your request has been finalized and that they informed you about their decision via email just today.

Kind regards, Maria
LufthansaGermanAirlines is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 8:05 am
  #410  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA, France
Programs: LH HON, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; GHA Black; IHG Gold; Avis PresClub
Posts: 481
Dear Lurker,

I remarked that LH has changed a lot of intra-European fare rules last week. Since 2-Mar all fares are exclusively LH only. This means when taking a connecting flight and changing from an LH flight to a LX or OS flight (same company still) one automatically falls into the highest fare bucket (Y for Eco, J for C). I am doing a lot of these “LH Group” fares and these changes have a major financial impact to my business (previously approx. 1100 Euros in D, now 6050 Euros in J). If this way forward is confirmed by LH, I would be forced to look for other alternatives and LH Group will most likely lose the whole business.
In addition I believe the fare rules and route details are somehow contradictory, as the fare rules mention that
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY LH FLIGHT OPERATED BY TK.
AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY A3 FLIGHT OPERATED BY A3

ANY LH FLIGHT
ANY LO FLIGHT OPERATED BY LO
ANY LX FLIGHT OPERATED BY LX
ANY OS FLIGHT OPERATED BY OS
ANY OS FLIGHT OPERATED BY VO

ANY SK FLIGHT OPERATED BY KF.

But the routing details mention:
PUBLISHED RTG XXX-LHR/LH2555/TAR-EURG EF-02MAR13 DIS-INDEF
/WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/
1. XXX-LH-ZRH/VIE/MUC/HAM/FRA/DUS/BER-LH-ZRH/VIE/MUC/HAM/FRA/
DUS/BER-LH-LHR

Which one is the binding one? Or does always count the most stringent part?
How to fly ZRH-LHR on LH, as there is not codeshare between LH and LX today?

In the past this was not necessary, as the fare was (and still is??) valid on LX also.

Kind regards,

athome
athome is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 2:07 pm
  #411  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: AMS
Posts: 404
Dear Maria,

Thank you for your answer! I should inform you though, that I haven't received any answer in my mailbox. And of course it cannot be incorrect e-mail address, since I received all the automated notification right away.

Originally Posted by LufthansaGermanAirlines View Post
Dear maxvor,

I just contacted Customer Relations who informed me that the handling of your request has been finalized and that they informed you about their decision via email just today.

Kind regards, Maria
maxvor is offline  
Old Mar 12, 13, 6:20 am
  #412  
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by danielos View Post
I'm sorry if this issue was already covered in a previous post.

In any case, the question is why does Lufthansa charges a fuel surcharge on flights which originally do not require a fuel surcharge?

For example, if I issue a ticket on United Airlines flight using United Airlines Miles through the UA site, I'm not charged with Fuel Surcharge.

If I try to book exactly the same UA fligth, using LH Miles through LH site, I'm charged with the Fuel Surcharge. Exactly the same flight.

Now, this get's more ridiculous: if I book a LH flight, using LH Milies through LH site, I'm charged with the Fuel Surcharge.

If I book exactly the same flight, but exactly the same LH flight, with UA miles, through UA site, I'm not charged with the Fuel Surcharge

What I like about Miles and More, is that when I wrote to complain, I got the following reply:

We are pleased at your interest in our wide range of attractive awards. If you wish to fly one way, you need only invest 50% of the miles calculated for a regular round-trip award. To redeem a one way award ticket on the route New York - Tel Aviv you need to spend 50,000 miles in the Economy Class or 92,000 miles in the Business Class.

I found it quite derogatory and conceited, that I send a mail to complain, and I recieve a "we are pleased at your interest...."

Regretfully, I do have to fly Star Alliance. I don't put my miles in LH anymore, as I get killed with the fuel surcharge, so I have like 250K miles, and never use them.

Would love to get a logic explanation to this ridiculous policy, specially towards your loyal senator customers.
Dear Danielos,

today I received an answer from my colleagues at Miles & More.

The fuel surcharge is based on current crude oil prices. Various factors are involved in the calculation of the fuel surcharge which ultimately defines the amount. For example, the oil price and its development on the various worldwide markets as well as currency fluctuation.

The difference in tax of two different airlines - despite the fact that the travelled route is identical - is calculated for fiscal reasons. The tax amount payable is always dependent on the operating airlines home country. In line with this, market specific features play a role which we in turn cannot influence.

The miles, taxes and charges are established by each airline individually. We are not familiar with the procedures implemented within other Frequent Flyer Programmes with regard to determining the mileage amount, taxes and surcharges. Hence, we are unable to comment on these. Most Frequent Flyer Programmes orientate and position themselves in the competetive environment relevant to them. Subsequently, distinct differences also exist with regard to the taxes and charges raised within the Star Alliance Network.

I hope this can shed some light on the matter.

Kind regards, Maria
LufthansaGermanAirlines is offline  
Old Mar 12, 13, 6:57 am
  #413  
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by maxvor View Post
Dear Maria,

Thank you for your answer! I should inform you though, that I haven't received any answer in my mailbox. And of course it cannot be incorrect e-mail address, since I received all the automated notification right away.
Dear maxvor,

to eliminate the possibilty that your email address was saved incorrectly, I would like to request that you please forward this to us via direct message.
The background of this is that the automated email you get is sent to you through an automated process, whereas the email from Customer Relations is manually inserted by a colleague, so there is a chance that there might be a misspelling - errare humanum est.

Regards, Maria
LufthansaGermanAirlines is offline  
Old Mar 12, 13, 7:00 am
  #414  
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by athome View Post
Dear Lurker,

I remarked that LH has changed a lot of intra-European fare rules last week. Since 2-Mar all fares are exclusively LH only. This means when taking a connecting flight and changing from an LH flight to a LX or OS flight (same company still) one automatically falls into the highest fare bucket (Y for Eco, J for C). I am doing a lot of these “LH Group” fares and these changes have a major financial impact to my business (previously approx. 1100 Euros in D, now 6050 Euros in J). If this way forward is confirmed by LH, I would be forced to look for other alternatives and LH Group will most likely lose the whole business.
In addition I believe the fare rules and route details are somehow contradictory, as the fare rules mention that
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY LH FLIGHT OPERATED BY TK.
AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY A3 FLIGHT OPERATED BY A3

ANY LH FLIGHT
ANY LO FLIGHT OPERATED BY LO
ANY LX FLIGHT OPERATED BY LX
ANY OS FLIGHT OPERATED BY OS
ANY OS FLIGHT OPERATED BY VO

ANY SK FLIGHT OPERATED BY KF.

But the routing details mention:
PUBLISHED RTG XXX-LHR/LH2555/TAR-EURG EF-02MAR13 DIS-INDEF
/WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/
1. XXX-LH-ZRH/VIE/MUC/HAM/FRA/DUS/BER-LH-ZRH/VIE/MUC/HAM/FRA/
DUS/BER-LH-LHR

Which one is the binding one? Or does always count the most stringent part?
How to fly ZRH-LHR on LH, as there is not codeshare between LH and LX today?

In the past this was not necessary, as the fare was (and still is??) valid on LX also.

Kind regards,

athome
Dear athome,

have you already tried to contact your service team regarding this matter?

However, in case you have a specific booking in mind, it would be best if you send us - via direct message - the respective booking code and my colleagues could have a look at this specific case.

Regards, Maria
LufthansaGermanAirlines is offline  
Old Mar 13, 13, 3:13 am
  #415  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC, CGN
Programs: LH-SEN
Posts: 943
Originally Posted by LufthansaGermanAirlines View Post
Dear Danielos,

today I received an answer from my colleagues at Miles & More.

The fuel surcharge is based on current crude oil prices. Various factors are involved in the calculation of the fuel surcharge which ultimately defines the amount. For example, the oil price and its development on the various worldwide markets as well as currency fluctuation.

The difference in tax of two different airlines - despite the fact that the travelled route is identical - is calculated for fiscal reasons. The tax amount payable is always dependent on the operating airlines home country. In line with this, market specific features play a role which we in turn cannot influence.

The miles, taxes and charges are established by each airline individually. We are not familiar with the procedures implemented within other Frequent Flyer Programmes with regard to determining the mileage amount, taxes and surcharges. Hence, we are unable to comment on these. Most Frequent Flyer Programmes orientate and position themselves in the competetive environment relevant to them. Subsequently, distinct differences also exist with regard to the taxes and charges raised within the Star Alliance Network.

I hope this can shed some light on the matter.

Kind regards, Maria
[Boldface mine above]


In other words, LH feels it has a captive market in Germany and so they'll charge whatever they damn well please for "fuel."

I've been a US-Based Senator for 6 years now, and will almost surely renew for another two years. But relative to other airlines on which it would be *easier* to earn *G status, the fuel surcharges on LH are utterly absurd and I will think long and hard about accruing on LH in the future. And I am surely not alone. Please share this with your colleagues.
econprof is offline  
Old Mar 13, 13, 6:19 am
  #416  
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by econprof View Post
[Boldface mine above]


In other words, LH feels it has a captive market in Germany and so they'll charge whatever they damn well please for "fuel."

I've been a US-Based Senator for 6 years now, and will almost surely renew for another two years. But relative to other airlines on which it would be *easier* to earn *G status, the fuel surcharges on LH are utterly absurd and I will think long and hard about accruing on LH in the future. And I am surely not alone. Please share this with your colleagues.
Hello econprof,

thank you for your comments which I will forward as feedback to
my colleagues.

Regards, Maria
LufthansaGermanAirlines is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 10:45 am
  #417  
htb
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Posts: 4,584
Originally Posted by LufthansaGermanAirlines View Post
Dear HTB,

I cannot fully agree with your conclusion. As Vanessa stated the confirmation is not only depending on load capacities, but also on flights being excluded due to special situations (e.g. fairs, exhibitions, holidays causing critical booking situations). Therefore the decision will always be subject to the individual situation. I do understand that this is not entirely satisfying, but please let me assure you, that my HON Circle Service colleagues will do their utmost to find a solution in every single case.
I would again like to point you to your own published rules for this:

Best flight award availability: HON + 3 companions until 14 days before departure. Valid for Economy and Business Class as long as there are seats available (flights operated by LH, OS, LO, LX, SN)
It's really disappointing to learn that the published benefits and the internal handling of these benefits are highly contradictory. It could be so easy but...

HTB.
htb is offline  
Old Mar 14, 13, 11:03 am
  #418  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: M&M SEN
Posts: 222
We have to talk!

Dear Lufthansa,

we have to talk. We need some relationship counseling here, because I don't recognize you anymore.

The one thing I have always loved about Lufthansa has been the formidable attention given to high status passengers when they experience flight disruptions: my expectations have always been met, and usually exceeded, during delays and cancellations. Above and beyond has usually been LH's standard of customer care when I have been affected by a flight irregularity.

For the first time I have found myself in unfamiliar territory two days ago in Dubai: my March 13th DXB-FRA flight (part of a DXB-FRA-JFK itinerary) was cancelled. I received an SMS several hours ahead of the flight advising me of the cancellation so I immediately called customer service in the US. I was not alarmed, as I trusted that a very reasonable solution to the problem would be found. I was quite puzzled and extremely frustrated by the sequence of events that followed:
1. The agent responded in the negative to my request to be rebooked either DXB-ZRH-JFK or DXB-VIE-JFK - both combinations would have caused virtually no delay for me. I was advised that the weather issues would affect those flights as well, and that I would have to wait for the next day. I had no way at the time to verify such information.
2. I was offered DXB-FRA-JFK for the next day, essentially postponing the flight a full 24 hours.
3. I asked whether any other airline had flights before a full 24 hours had passed: I was told no options were available on Turkish Airways, and that Lufthansa had no agreements to endorse tickets over to Emirates. To my mention of the existence of a EU passenger bill of rights, and the fact that I have in the past been appropriately rebooked via non Star Alliance airlines when it was fair to do so, the agent responded dismissing my query.
4. I asked whether it would be possible to catch the 8.30am service to MUC, and the agent said I would still then have to fly to FRA (DXB-MUC-FRA-JFK), rendering the change useless.
5. I asked whether I could fly DXB-MUC-EWR and the agent turned the request down saying that reroutings are not permitted. This seemed inconsistent: I have been rerouted to EWR instead of JFK by LH before. LH refers to both airports as New York in timetables and on its website.
6. It appeared that booking DXB-MUC-EWR would be my only alternative to secure a flight on the 13th of March and not have to postpone by a whole day, so I accepted to pay - yes, to pay to rebook a cancelled flight! The charge was small, less than $10, but against European Union laws. Reservation was confirmed and I received an email with my new itinerary.
7. I then requested a hotel room to spend the night and was turned down.
8. Later that night I went to the airport, and asked again for a hotel room: I didn't expect any problems, and was surprised, even outraged, to hear Lufthansa's agent (in an LH uniform) say that it is LH's policy NOT to provide hotel rooms if a cancellation is caused by weather problems. Again, a failure of EU laws and an inconsistency with any past experience of mine.
9. I proceeded to make my own sleeping arrangements. When I got to the hotel I tried to check in online. The site redirected me to Swiss International Airlines claiming I should check in with them. Puzzled, I looked up the reservation number and found that my itinerary had been changed again: DXB-ZRH-EWR, with - thank you very much - an eleven hour connection in Zurich, and an arrival time into Newark two hours later than my previously confirmed DXB-MUC-EWR itinerary.
10. It was already too late to reach the airport for check-in anyway, so I called again and got reinstated onto the DXB-MUC-EWR itinerary.

I will send LH the hotel bill and I am sure it will be settled, and the rebooking charge I paid will certainly be reversed. My public question to you is: how does something like this happen? Why are telephone agents in the US and ground agents in DUB not aware of European Union regulations and passenger rights? Why was I denied a DXB-ZRH-JFK rerouting when I first called, only to find myself booked onto a DXB-ZRH-EWR that I did not ask for after other arrangements had already been made? Why did I hear from just about every LH person I spoke to, that the right to care is not applicable if a cancellation is caused by weather?
Lufthansa, who are you? Are you trying to break up with me?

Last edited by kenadams; Mar 14, 13 at 4:06 pm Reason: I kept refererring to Dubai as "DUB" instead of "DXB". Mistake fixed.
kenadams is offline  
Old Mar 15, 13, 6:13 am
  #419  
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by verve View Post
Based on recent experience I assume LH made a decision to de-prioritize HON vs F passengers. IAD check-in recently told me that they HAVE to escort F passengers but that they only escort HON's on REQUEST.
LH-team, it would be good to get some clarity on what services you provide for your HON members and what not. Flying mostly LX I'm glad that they still stick to the original services like escorts, fast tracks, buggies and the like.

Dear verve,

we just received a reply from our colleagues.

At all Stations outside of Europe the following services for Hon Circle Members will be offered:

1. Upon departure: the HON Circle customer is welcomed by the personal assistant who will handle the check-in procedure, escort the customer through any security checks and passport controls, (in the quickest possible manner) and will ensure that the customer is able to access the lounge. Upon request, the customer can be picked up from the lounge prior to departure to be taken to the gate.
2. At their destination: the HON Circle customer is greeted by the personal assistant. They will accompany the customer through security checks, passport controls and customs to the baggage claim area. In case of any baggage issues, the personal assistant will look to see the issue resolved quickly at the "Lost & Found".
3. While in transfer HON Circle Members will be informed about connecting gates, lounges as well as further airport facilities.

A HON Circle customer who does not wish for any personal assistance will have to cancel this.

I hope this shed some light into the darkness... ;-)

Best
Stefanie
LufthansaGermanAirlines is offline  
Old Mar 15, 13, 6:17 am
  #420  
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by kenadams View Post
Dear Lufthansa,

we have to talk. We need some relationship counseling here, because I don't recognize you anymore.

The one thing I have always loved about Lufthansa has been the formidable attention given to high status passengers when they experience flight disruptions: my expectations have always been met, and usually exceeded, during delays and cancellations. Above and beyond has usually been LH's standard of customer care when I have been affected by a flight irregularity.

For the first time I have found myself in unfamiliar territory two days ago in Dubai: my March 13th DXB-FRA flight (part of a DXB-FRA-JFK itinerary) was cancelled. I received an SMS several hours ahead of the flight advising me of the cancellation so I immediately called customer service in the US. I was not alarmed, as I trusted that a very reasonable solution to the problem would be found. I was quite puzzled and extremely frustrated by the sequence of events that followed:
1. The agent responded in the negative to my request to be rebooked either DXB-ZRH-JFK or DXB-VIE-JFK - both combinations would have caused virtually no delay for me. I was advised that the weather issues would affect those flights as well, and that I would have to wait for the next day. I had no way at the time to verify such information.
2. I was offered DXB-FRA-JFK for the next day, essentially postponing the flight a full 24 hours.
3. I asked whether any other airline had flights before a full 24 hours had passed: I was told no options were available on Turkish Airways, and that Lufthansa had no agreements to endorse tickets over to Emirates. To my mention of the existence of a EU passenger bill of rights, and the fact that I have in the past been appropriately rebooked via non Star Alliance airlines when it was fair to do so, the agent responded dismissing my query.
4. I asked whether it would be possible to catch the 8.30am service to MUC, and the agent said I would still then have to fly to FRA (DXB-MUC-FRA-JFK), rendering the change useless.
5. I asked whether I could fly DXB-MUC-EWR and the agent turned the request down saying that reroutings are not permitted. This seemed inconsistent: I have been rerouted to EWR instead of JFK by LH before. LH refers to both airports as New York in timetables and on its website.
6. It appeared that booking DXB-MUC-EWR would be my only alternative to secure a flight on the 13th of March and not have to postpone by a whole day, so I accepted to pay - yes, to pay to rebook a cancelled flight! The charge was small, less than $10, but against European Union laws. Reservation was confirmed and I received an email with my new itinerary.
7. I then requested a hotel room to spend the night and was turned down.
8. Later that night I went to the airport, and asked again for a hotel room: I didn't expect any problems, and was surprised, even outraged, to hear Lufthansa's agent (in an LH uniform) say that it is LH's policy NOT to provide hotel rooms if a cancellation is caused by weather problems. Again, a failure of EU laws and an inconsistency with any past experience of mine.
9. I proceeded to make my own sleeping arrangements. When I got to the hotel I tried to check in online. The site redirected me to Swiss International Airlines claiming I should check in with them. Puzzled, I looked up the reservation number and found that my itinerary had been changed again: DXB-ZRH-EWR, with - thank you very much - an eleven hour connection in Zurich, and an arrival time into Newark two hours later than my previously confirmed DXB-MUC-EWR itinerary.
10. It was already too late to reach the airport for check-in anyway, so I called again and got reinstated onto the DXB-MUC-EWR itinerary.

I will send LH the hotel bill and I am sure it will be settled, and the rebooking charge I paid will certainly be reversed. My public question to you is: how does something like this happen? Why are telephone agents in the US and ground agents in DUB not aware of European Union regulations and passenger rights? Why was I denied a DXB-ZRH-JFK rerouting when I first called, only to find myself booked onto a DXB-ZRH-EWR that I did not ask for after other arrangements had already been made? Why did I hear from just about every LH person I spoke to, that the right to care is not applicable if a cancellation is caused by weather?
Lufthansa, who are you? Are you trying to break up with me?

Dear kenadams,

I am truly sorry to hear about what happened. Let me assure you that it is not my intention to break up with you. It is actually quite the opposite. As you said: we had a wonderful relationship in the past and I am hoping we can recover from this incident and restore what we had...

Yours,
Lufthansa
(Stefanie)

PS: Would you kindly send your feedback via http://f.lh.com/r1Qy or http://f.lh.com/qVp6 ? Thank you.
LufthansaGermanAirlines is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread