Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 hour layover in Brussels Christmas day

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

6 hour layover in Brussels Christmas day

My husband and I arrive in Brussels from NYC on Christmas day at 6:50am, headed to BKK at 12:45pm. We'd like to do something other than sit in the lounge for 5-6 hours and wondered if anyone had some suggestions.

It looks like there's some sort of Christmas market in Antwerp (http://www.debretts.com/social-seaso...as-market.aspx) that looks interesting, though it may not be open so early Xmas day. There appear to be shuttle buses and also a train that take you to Antwerp.

Anyway, am open to all suggestions! Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think it will be too early to do anything real interesting... best you can probably do is take the train to the center of town (Brussels!), have a decent breakfast and browse for about an hour, and go back to the airport....

Going to Antwerp, not really an option. Look at the map :-). Takes about an hour to just get there... and back again.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: M&M 0*SEN (LH *G), TK *G, Accor Silver, HHonors Gold
At least the Schengen *A lounge is bad and to be avoided - as far as I understand the same is true for the other lounges.

If the weather is nice, definitely go into Brussels for a few hours. One suggestion is to take the train 15 minutes to the Brussels North Bruxelles-Nord station, walk down to Rue Neuve and then to Grande Place. Everything will be closed, but it's still a nice walk and you'll pass by some new glass-and-steel highrises, the botanical gardens, and the main shopping street. From there you can walk up to Palais de Justice for some nice views of the city and then on to Place Louise. If you want to see the EU institutions (actually some nice buildings), then take the bus (11 or 21) from the airport to Schuman (Commission) or Luxembourg (Parliament) and have a stroll around there.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. This (http://www.visitflanders.us/news/dir...to-antwerp.jsp) said the train took 30 minutes to Antwerp, so thought that might be an option.

Will anything be open on Christmas morning? In the US, about the only thing open are convenience stores.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kanaman
At least the Schengen *A lounge is bad and to be avoided - as far as I understand the same is true for the other lounges.

If the weather is nice, definitely go into Brussels for a few hours. One suggestion is to take the train 15 minutes to the Brussels North Bruxelles-Nord station, walk down to Rue Neuve and then to Grande Place. Everything will be closed, but it's still a nice walk and you'll pass by some new glass-and-steel highrises, the botanical gardens, and the main shopping street. From there you can walk up to Palais de Justice for some nice views of the city and then on to Place Louise. If you want to see the EU institutions (actually some nice buildings), then take the bus (11 or 21) from the airport to Schuman (Commission) or Luxembourg (Parliament) and have a stroll around there.
Thanks for the tips! Exactly what I was looking for!!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by jchock1
Thanks. This (http://www.visitflanders.us/news/dir...to-antwerp.jsp) said the train took 30 minutes to Antwerp, so thought that might be an option.

Will anything be open on Christmas morning? In the US, about the only thing open are convenience stores.
there is a new airport train to antwerp, but quite pricy and only once/hour.

You could alternatively go to Leuven, its 15-20 mins by train (normal train, 2 or 3 pr. hour), take a walk and breakfast and go back.

Or go to sheraton across street, get day room and take a shower and nice breakfast. None of the lounges are worth 5h.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.