FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Plans to restart LH destinations? [and other new routes speculations] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1386574-plans-restart-lh-destinations-other-new-routes-speculations.html)

TT-Jones Apr 1, 2013 5:29 am

Really, danielonn, I mean: really? Another one of these entirely unsubstantial speculation threads that are so far off any sense started by you?

Can you please shed some light on your motives instead of wasting the posters' time for nothing?

Circumknowitall Apr 1, 2013 5:39 am

Sounds like PDX all over again.

tsastor Apr 1, 2013 6:18 am

I think Modesto would be better, I mean it is even closer to the foothills. And on the other end Lübeck would probably make most sense. I'm sure that would lure many people from as far as Hamburg, if the price was set right, especially in First class, of course. :D

sunseeker Apr 1, 2013 6:43 am

OP,
a few weeks ago, your idea was LH servicing San Jose.

i am sure, if you think hard, you will be able to come up with even more useless suggestions for LH how to loose money !

:rolleyes:

Often1 Apr 1, 2013 7:01 am

These threads make no sense. The question isn't whether the Sacramento area could support various flights to Germany, it's whether it would generate additional travel. As it stands, if you want to fly from the Sacramento area to FRA, you likely connect at SFO or elsewhere. If you could fly xSacramento, who is going to fill that empty seat xSFO?

The chances of anybody establishing long-haul service a short hop from a major intl. airport with both TATL and TPAC non-stop are possibly measurable with one of those brand new microscopes.

Bernie2012 Apr 1, 2013 7:08 am

Originally Posted by tsastor (Post 20516008)
I think Modesto would be better, I mean it is even closer to the foothills. And on the other end Lübeck would probably make most sense. I'm sure that would lure many people from as far as Hamburg, if the price was set right, especially in First class, of course. :D

Yes, D-AQUI is currently in for upgrade to the new F and they will do the feeder flights then.

totti Apr 1, 2013 8:56 am

Dear fellow FTers,

This is a friendly reminder to respect other's opinions and discuss in a friendly manner.

Kind regards,
totti
Moderator M&M forum

Tanaka07 Apr 1, 2013 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall (Post 20515921)
Sounds like PDX all over again.

Unlike SMF, PDX actually has quite the traffic flow and business connections to Europe. I wouldn't be surprised to see it return in the future. At one point it was one of Lufthansa's most profitable USA-FRA routes. On a few occasions it was upgauged to A340-600s.

TT-Jones Apr 2, 2013 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Tanaka07 (Post 20519463)
At one point it was one of Lufthansa's most profitable USA-FRA routes.

I'd like to see a source for that, please.

Full != profitable. And "most profitable" is quite a claim.

TRAVELSIG Apr 2, 2013 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Tanaka07 (Post 20519463)
Unlike SMF, PDX actually has quite the traffic flow and business connections to Europe. I wouldn't be surprised to see it return in the future. At one point it was one of Lufthansa's most profitable USA-FRA routes. On a few occasions it was upgauged to A340-600s.

As much as I appreciated a lot the PDX route and it was very convenient for me- my understanding was that as soon as the subsidy by local/state governments was pulled the route was also brought to an end which leads me to believe that the subsidy was needed to make this route work.

Intel and NIKE could surely shed more light on this than I can.

N1003U Apr 2, 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 20522561)
my understanding was that as soon as the subsidy by local/state governments was pulled the route was also brought to an end which leads me to believe that the subsidy was needed to make this route work.

Intel and NIKE could surely shed more light on this than I can.

There simply does not seem to be enough O&D traffic in and out of PDX to support non-stop international service. Delta used to use PDX to top-off the tanks of its Asia-bound MD-11s, because the machines never met their fuel consumption/range goals, and PDX was a cost-effective stop on the US west coast. Thus there was for a while some service from PDX to Asia. Since the introduction of longer-range aircraft flying to Asia from the eastern US, international service from PDX has pretty much disappeared.

I think all that is left of international service to/from PDX (outside of some Air Canada feeder flights to AC hubs) is a couple of leftover Delta routes. There are to my knowledge no European or Asian carriers that serve PDX.

LH600 Jul 13, 2013 2:22 pm

PHX/SAN Service!?

I was just wondering - Do you think it is likey that Lufthansa will reintroduce PHX services and maybe introduce San Diego as new destination!?

I was just browsing through the BA World Map and wondered why BA serves these Destination and Lufthansa does not.

Do you think we might see these services in the future?

oliver2002 Jul 15, 2013 3:24 am

PHX & SAN are probably not on LHs radar. Considering that quite a few 748 and 380s are joing LH's fleet in the next 12 months you will certainly see new routes/frequencies in the next months. Unless they will use the spare capacity to speed up the new C retrofit.

LH600 Jul 16, 2013 12:18 pm

Why do you think PHX/SAN are not on LH's radar?
PHX is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the US with a lot of wealthy people (i.e. more than average) and I believe that SAN is also a major economical center in the US!?
Also, Sky Harbor is one of the busiest Airports in the US and now that US Airways is leaving the alliance - maybe LH/Star Alliance might need a new way to get Passengers into Sky Harbor?

TRAVELSIG Jul 16, 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by LH600 (Post 21107266)
Why do you think PHX/SAN are not on LH's radar?
PHX is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the US with a lot of wealthy people (i.e. more than average) and I believe that SAN is also a major economical center in the US!?
Also, Sky Harbor is one of the busiest Airports in the US and now that US Airways is leaving the alliance - maybe LH/Star Alliance might need a new way to get Passengers into Sky Harbor?

Anything is possible however generally LH tends to look for cities that have strong economic trade with Germany (i.e. Charlotte because of BMW etc) so although I could be overlooking something I don't think that Phoenix would fill the bill. If there are a lot of wealthy Germans flying back and forth to Phoenix i suppose that would be interesting however that crowd in the USA seems to have focused firmly on the coasts at the moment (i.e. LA and Miami as well as the Eastern corridor).

Not having a partner with connectivity probably makes the situation far less interesting as opposed to more interesting as there is not a possibility to economically sell follow on (connecting) traffic.