Plans to restart LH destinations? [and other new routes speculations]

Old Mar 10, 13, 4:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you can find the revenue to justify the aircraft standing around for nearly a day in SIN... even with a ratty written off A343 it barely made sense because they sent it to CGK for a short trip.
Old Mar 10, 13, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
Doubtful but would be nice!
ZRH-SIN ist more or less replacing the MUC-SIN service due to the better cost basis of LX compared to LH. In addition, the competition at ZRH is different as the competing SQ flight leaves in the morning. So they see a gap where LX could successfully step in. The MUC flight will be dead for a long, long time.
Old Mar 10, 13, 5:14 am

Programs: SQ, BA, 9W
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
In addition, the competition at ZRH is different as the competing SQ flight leaves in the morning. So they see a gap where LX could successfully step in. The MUC flight will be dead for a long, long time.
Interesting you say that, since LH's MUC-SIN was timed similarly to LX's ZRH-SIN, i.e. not directly competing with SQ.

It came as a surprise to see the service go in the first place, since they didn't appear to have load factor issues. I suppose the A340 was simply too uneconomical. We'll probably have to wait until LH order an A340 replacement if we are to ever see the return of this flight.

On a related note, if Austrian were to significantly expand their long haul network with 777s (which is very unlikely), I'd love to see them restart VIE-SIN. They would have no problems with scheduling since there would be no competition with SQ
Old Mar 11, 13, 10:09 am

Programs: too many
How about SYD like in the good old days? Is LH/LX/OS ever going to claim back some of the business lost to the Arab airlines, once they have upgraded to a somewhat competitive cabin?
Old Mar 11, 13, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
How about SYD like in the good old days? Is LH/LX/OS ever going to claim back some of the business lost to the Arab airlines, once they have upgraded to a somewhat competitive cabin?
I highly doubt that SYD or anything down-under will ever come back. There is no USP for LH on such a route (not timing wise, not in terms of price and espicially not with regards to the product).
Even major local players like QF and to some degree BA are scaling back. BA is probably the only European airline that could maintain a profitable service to OZ for the coming years due to the strong historical ties between the two countries. But apart from that, this market belongs to the ME and Asian carriers.
Old Mar 11, 13, 11:12 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Reading this thread I just realized I haven't flown Lufty for close on 18 months now. ( I'm a J flyer) I only fly them when they are the cheapest option because of the really awful hard product and the nightmare that is FRA ( my reason to use them is always a transit through Europe from Asia to somewhere) Which means i figured they must have raised fares ... And was rightbfares on LH are now similar in J to BA and LX, to North America ex BKK, ex DEL and ex CAI... The hard product remains avoidable... And they have downgraded their FF programme...advice from experts is to switch to Turkish FFP IF FF intercon in J but not resident in Europe or a to/ from Germany OD flyer.

But someone somewhere is flying them more despite this, right?
So yields must have risen? And they therefore took the right decision not to invest a lot in product quality and to downgrade M&M elite benefits and
point earnings in cheaper buckets? Have they lost intercon business in J but compensated in other markets?

I'm just speculating above and interested in some guidance from experts....

Last edited by rathin100; Mar 11, 13 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 11, 13, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
Reading this thread I just realized I haven't flown Lufty for close on 18 months now. ( I'm a J flyer) I only fly them when they are the cheapest option because of the really awful hard product and the nightmare that is FRA ( my reason to use them is always a transit through Europe from Asia to somewhere) Which means i figured they must have raised fares ... And was rightbfares on LH are now similar in J to BA and LX, to North America ex BKK, ex DEL and ex CAI... The hard product remains avoidable... And they have downgraded their FF programme...advice from experts is to switch to Turkish FFP IF FF intercon in J but not resident in Europe or a to/ from Germany OD flyer.

But someone somewhere is flying them more despite this, right?
So yields must have risen? And they therefore took the right decision not to invest a lot in product quality and to downgrade M&M elite benefits and
point earnings in cheaper buckets? Have they lost intercon business in J but compensated in other markets?

I'm just speculating above and interested in some guidance from experts....
Excellent questions- the downgrades to the FF program are strong and FRA got worse with pier A+ instead of better- when speaking about TK etc personally I much prefer transit at DXB (particularly since the new terminal opened which is beautiful) vs. IST by quite a bit.
Old Mar 11, 13, 11:36 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
when speaking about TK etc personally I much prefer transit at DXB (particularly since the new terminal opened which is beautiful) vs. IST by quite a bit.
me too...DXB is an excellent terminal now... Though I also avoid EK 777 routes because of the middle seat poss...but I was referring to expert advice ref choice of FFP on Star Alliance... Expert opinion here says TK is now the best earner and easier to maintain Gold especially if flying paid J with good benefits and a good network for intercom flying patterns so preferred over LH. Group etc.
Old Mar 11, 13, 1:13 pm

I'd consider UA if you fly enough to make 1K.
Old Mar 11, 13, 9:25 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ek&sq View Post
Interesting you say that, since LH's MUC-SIN was timed similarly to LX's ZRH-SIN, i.e. not directly competing with SQ.

It came as a surprise to see the service go in the first place, since they didn't appear to have load factor issues. I suppose the A340 was simply too uneconomical. We'll probably have to wait until LH order an A340 replacement if we are to ever see the return of this flight.

On a related note, if Austrian were to significantly expand their long haul network with 777s (which is very unlikely), I'd love to see them restart VIE-SIN. They would have no problems with scheduling since there would be no competition with SQ
What I understand is that it was due to new landing restrictions in MUC in the morning and the route did not manage to get another (later) slot. The A380 can't land in CGK... Its a real shame thought. We are now stuck with SQ as a monopoly *A on the SIN-CGK route and the fares (and load) are high. I wish TK would pick up passengers again in SIN to bring down fares a bit...
Old Mar 31, 13, 9:42 am

At the rate they're going- I probably won't even be SEN after 2016

What will be the qualification for HON:
1) Must take our direct flight FRA-JFK
2) Must be on A380
3) F or J full fare only
Likewise and not interested after 14 years.LH has become, like Europe, the declining cntinent, the declining airline. TK etc offer much better options if you dont live in Germany. LH. Is ack to being just th airline that flies to and from Germany. No further global pretensions. Kaput.

Now it's only a question of what to do with my 800,000 odd miles while im still Senator. . I think two trips India NYC in J should consume them .... I'll even put up with the horrid business Class it's free!
Old Apr 1, 13, 1:12 am

Could Sacramento CA work for LH?

I was wondering if LH would make a profit if they had a SAC-MUC SAC-FRA and SAC-DUS flights since Sacramento has no European non-stop flights. As SAC is the Capital of California and there are people who live in the Sierra Foothills who don't want to drive to SFO this could be the start of European service. I know if I lived in the SAC area I would take this flight even if it meant connecting at FRA or MUC to another European destination.

Even if I lived in the SF Bay Area and LH had good deals from SAC I would gladly take Amtrak from San Jose-Sacramento and a bus or other transportation to the airport.
Old Apr 1, 13, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I would be surprised if there were enough demand to make it economically feasible. And if you have to connect anyway, why not connect in SF or LAX?

Coming from Europe, there wouldn't be many connecting flights from Sacramento to anywhere else without connecting again in SF or LAX.
Old Apr 1, 13, 1:22 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I was wondering if LH would make a profit if they had a SAC-MUC SAC-FRA and SAC-DUS flights since Sacramento has no European non-stop flights.
SAC (Sacramento Executive airport) has a runway length of 5503 feet. Do you mean SMF with 8601 feet. Nice joke, but mine is more scaring - try to find it .
Old Apr 1, 13, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

It's not April 1 in California yet.... You are getting ahead of yourselves.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: