Plans to restart LH destinations? [and other new routes speculations]

Old Mar 1, 13, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Instead of OAK....a SMF-HAM route would meet my needs ( but no one else's!).
Old Mar 1, 13, 2:12 am

Programs: LH FTL, UA Premier, AF Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I don't see why SJC couldn't support another LH destination. It would have to be on their Airbus 340 or possibly 747-800 aircraft.
Yeah, I bet you don't.

Is it a kind of sport for you to put all kinds of wild speculations garnished with the absence of reality checks out and then have people discuss about it?!

See here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ocus-city.html
Old Mar 1, 13, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
Sacramento Berlin has an appealing symmetry....
Old Mar 1, 13, 5:00 am

omg...

Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
Do you think Lufthansa could add San Jose CA as a new city and add flights to Berlin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich? With JFK and EWR having LH flights I don't see why SJC couldn't support another LH destination. It would have to be on their Airbus 340 or possibly 747-800 aircraft.

If they could have a 4:00 PM departure time to Frankfurt a 5:00 PM flight to Berlin a 7:00 PM to Dusseldorf and a 8:30 PM flight to Munich that would really bring the "Non Stop You" home.
i am sorry to say i have read quite some bs on FT, but for this year so far, you get the cake...
Old Mar 1, 13, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
i am sorry to say i have read quite some bs on FT, but for this year so far, you get the cake...
Don't know that SJC can land a 747-800. The 49ers ran Delta 747 charters out of SJC for the Super Bowl, but those would be considerable lighter than a 747 going to FRA, or anywhere else in Germany.

LH is doing well with the A380 out of SFO. Why abandon that?
Old Mar 2, 13, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I say we think bigger: SJC as the new LH scissors hub to Australia, India and Asia.

Think about it: BER-SJC-SYD! FRA-SJC-DEL! MUC-SJC-BKK! LH would make billions of euros using SJC as a scissors hub!
Old Mar 2, 13, 10:33 am

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
I'd be partial to ONT-BSL. A 747-8, if you don't mind.
Old Mar 2, 13, 11:27 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
TXL,DUS thing let's forget it. But SJC out of FRA? why not?
NH serves the exact same US West Coast destinations (SEA,SFO,LAX) as LH and saw potential in SJC (787 being a must apparently), so it could be something LH may explore.

GBM
Old Mar 2, 13, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by GBM.flights View Post
TXL,DUS thing let's forget it. But SJC out of FRA? why not?
NH serves the exact same US West Coast destinations (SEA,SFO,LAX) as LH and saw potential in SJC (787 being a must apparently), so it could be something LH may explore.

GBM
And exactly how many 787s does LH have on order?
Old Mar 3, 13, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Gold
LH is considering FRA-PTY
http://visitpanama.com/index.php?opt...id=564&lang=en

How soon do you think such flight could start?
Old Mar 3, 13, 11:09 am

That article is pretty much thin-air speculation BS. Looks like a classic case of "If there's nothing concrete to write about, just fumble some vague insinuations together until they remotely sound like a story." to me.

Clearest indicator is the opening sentence:
Lufthansa might be evaluating the possibility of establishing a direct flight to Panama.
[Bolding mine]

That's a triple dilution watering any concreteness down to less than zero.

Lufthansa might be evaluating the possibility of establishing a direct flight to the moon, the end of the world and yo mama as well.

So to answer your question: It will start on February 30 of the year twothousanddrelfteen.
Old Mar 3, 13, 11:39 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
And exactly how many 787s does LH have on order?
AFAIK, zero. Why?

GBM
Old Mar 3, 13, 1:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN, LY, UA/CO, AF/KL, QF
Originally Posted by TT-Jones View Post
That's a triple dilution watering any concreteness down to less than zero.

Lufthansa might be evaluating the possibility of establishing a direct flight to the moon, the end of the world and yo mama as well.

So to answer your question: It will start on February 30 of the year twothousanddrelfteen.
Not saying this article is too correct, but COPA does operate from PTY, with very good connections to the entire of central/south america. So another place to connect to central and south america - with no need to connect at MIA (mess with US immigration) or GRU (relying on TAM), or BOG (relying on AV + might not be a popular connection point given that BOG is not considered a very safe spot) rather than on a more friendly Copa (owned by UA, if I am not mistaken).

I mean, if you want to fly to Quito (UIO) or SJO, it actually makes more sense to connect at PTY (being *A hub).
Old Mar 3, 13, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mkilmo View Post
but COPA does operate from PTY, with very good connections to the entire of central/south america.
Absolutely, feeding traffic into COPA and vice versa can indeed be very helpful in the course of determining which new destinations an airline could be flying to, but naturally this is only one of dozens of aspects that need (and will!) be taken into consideration.

Traffic rights, slots, cooperation agreements, anticipated yield, opportunity cost, availability of aircraft, seasonality, market type and size (O&D, connecting, leisure, business, ...), political stability, antitrust waivers, and probably another two dozen more that depend on the case at hand.

So just fumbling together some kind of amateur rationalization has little to no value, as the interested forum participant doesn't have access to the information that really makes or breaks it.
Old Mar 3, 13, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Originally Posted by TT-Jones View Post
So just fumbling together some kind of amateur rationalization has little to no value, as the interested forum participant doesn't have access to the information that really makes or breaks it.
Yes, but it's fun and we are not writing doctoral theses here...
Of course we are amateurs. I am sure the professionals of the aviation industry maintain their own fora with higher levels of rationalisation.

For what it's worth, I would find an LH Direct to PTY flight quite charming, as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: