FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Plans to restart LH destinations? [and other new routes speculations] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1386574-plans-restart-lh-destinations-other-new-routes-speculations.html)

N1003U Sep 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 19319033)
For Asia- Yes.

For USA as an example- the new Delta business class product is nicer than LH and they have a nonstop to New York and Atlanta daily with perfect timings. Ciao again...

Yes, the new LH changes have given me the opportunity to (re)discover some of the competitive offerings of DL from FRA to New York--at the expense of LH. Were it not for the latest round of enhancements to the LH pricing, terms, and conditions, I would not have taken the time to try the DL product and discover that it is not so bad...

DL has, in general, very bad conditions if one needs to change travel dates after booking. However, the recent changes to the LH fare structure has essentially leveled the playing field, where before LH had a definite advantage...

ogepma Sep 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk (Post 19307975)
OK has been cutting routes for quite some time now, not leaving aircraft parked, thinking it can make more money elsewhere, and yet they are far from being profitable today ;)

I am sorry but this is a very narrow minded perspective on this matter. And what do you mean by far from being profitable? You do realize that last year LH posted an operating profit of over 800 Million Euros and had a small net loss of about 13 million euros due costs incurred from the sale of BMI? Profitability does not automatically happen within a short period when one single decision is made, especially in such an economic climate and I am sure you are aware of this. Also, an operating loss at the second quarter of a financial year does not predict that the company would not post a profit and this has been witnessed several times (LH's 2010 results for example). LH even fared better than it had forecasted for Q2 earnings and I am very positive that happened as a result of some of the “controversial” measures that have taken.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 19313124)
To cut a city like Guangzhou is not a strategic decision. The reason LH was not making money in Guangzhou is because their business class product is not competitive at all. Full stop.

What solid facts/evidence do you have to suggest this as the absolute reason why LH cut CAN? I am really interested in the facts you have based this comment on. If this is the case, why does LH still fly to HKG despite having strong competition from EK, QR, BA and CX? Why did AY stop CAN despite having a very good J product that outclasses LH’s? Granted, Guangzhou has an economy that is growing but that does not mean majority of its flying population can afford to fly J class. Why does AF send 772s/A343s with small premium cabins to CAN? Does that not imply that the route is not heavy on premium traffic? At this point, it would not be very smart of LH to continue to fly to a destination that does not provide enough yields and this has most likely been caused by low premium demand and rising fuel prices. Yes, the competition would have had an impact in the decision but it certainly does not narrow down to an inferior J product. It is already a known fact that CAN is a de-facto SkyTeam hub. CZ has a huge presence there and hence AF continues to serve the route due to the connectivity CZ offers them. Why isn’t BA eyeing CAN for services in the near future and why is AF the only European airline flying there? At the end of the day it is in fact a strategic decision and has very little to do with its J class not being up to the competition. If that was the case, LH would not be flying to three quarters of its intercontinental destinations by now.

TRAVELSIG Sep 17, 2012 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ogepma (Post 19327268)
What solid facts/evidence do you have to suggest this as the absolute reason why LH cut CAN? I am really interested in the facts you have based this comment on.

No "solid facts" on why LH cut CAN. Here are a few points of my thinking:

One of the fastest growing commercial aviation airports in the world.

One of the most affluent cities in PRC.

Host to the majority of the Fortune 500 (>50%).

Hosts several of Asias largest trade fairs.

Increasing lift by several carriers.

As to why does HKG work? I suppose because it has been an international banking and trading hub for more than a century and an air hub for more than 50 years.

By the way- friendly comments and questions are always welcome :)

Have a great day,

Travelsig

whiskey_sk Sep 17, 2012 3:03 am

Originally Posted by ogepma (Post 19327268)
I am sorry but this is a very narrow minded perspective on this matter. And what do you mean by far from being profitable? You do realize that last year LH posted an operating profit of over 800 Million Euros and had a small net loss of about 13 million euros due costs incurred from the sale of BMI? Profitability does not automatically happen within a short period when one single decision is made, especially in such an economic climate and I am sure you are aware of this. Also, an operating loss at the second quarter of a financial year does not predict that the company would not post a profit and this has been witnessed several times (LH's 2010 results for example). LH even fared better than it had forecasted for Q2 earnings and I am very positive that happened as a result of some of the “controversial” measures that have taken.

I am sure you are aware of the fact that OK means Czech Airlines. And by far from profitable I meant this. I am fully aware of the subtle differences between LH and OK, and my comment was only meant to provide an example of mismanaged route cuts and fleet reductions, as an answer to an earlier post in the thread suggesting that those measure will for sure fix things for LH.

danielonn Feb 28, 2013 12:11 am

Lufthansa New Routes

Do you think Lufthansa could add San Jose CA as a new city and add flights to Berlin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich? With JFK and EWR having LH flights I don't see why SJC couldn't support another LH destination. It would have to be on their Airbus 340 or possibly 747-800 aircraft.

If they could have a 4:00 PM departure time to Frankfurt a 5:00 PM flight to Berlin a 7:00 PM to Dusseldorf and a 8:30 PM flight to Munich that would really bring the "Non Stop You" home.

Lack Feb 28, 2013 12:23 am

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 20331344)
Do you think Lufthansa could add San Jose CA as a new city and add flights to Berlin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich? With JFK and EWR having LH flights I don't see why SJC couldn't support another LH destination. It would have to be on their Airbus 340 or possibly 747-800 aircraft.

If they could have a 4:00 PM departure time to Frankfurt a 5:00 PM flight to Berlin a 7:00 PM to Dusseldorf and a 8:30 PM flight to Munich that would really bring the "Non Stop You" home.

Here you go:
http://www.lufthansa-private-jet.com/

captainiglo Feb 28, 2013 12:26 am

Lufthansa New Routes

Really not seeing that happening...
SFO is already very well served with LH an LX flights plus codeshare on UA
Berlin nonstop to CA - absolutely not! Don't think that could be profitable.....

JackInThePlane Feb 28, 2013 12:34 am

You have to think out of the box and think bigger, a more appropriate question would be: "Would Lufthansa ever abandon SFO for SJC?" Number 14 most populous US city for the Number 10. *A partner UAL can serve it's customers at its SFO hub, Lufthansa could be the big fish in the smaller airport and put its customers closer to the Valley.

San Gottardo Feb 28, 2013 12:37 am

Is this a serious question? Because New York (the world's largest airport system) can support flights to Lufthansa's hub and one to Dusseldorf a secondary destination should put on flights to hub and non-hub cities?

Why not have nonstop flights from Cologne to Quito, after all there is this flower shop in downtown Cologne that sells tulips from Ecuador?

primetime23 Feb 28, 2013 2:20 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 20331412)
Why not have nonstop flights from Cologne to Quito, after all there is this flower shop in downtown Cologne that sells tulips from Ecuador?

:D:D:D

IAN-UK Feb 28, 2013 2:37 am

If they could have a 4:00 PM departure time to Frankfurt a 5:00 PM flight to Berlin a 7:00 PM to Dusseldorf and a 8:30 PM flight to Munich that would really bring the "Non Stop You" home....

... and hasten the departure of Lufthansa's current management team
:D

N1003U Feb 28, 2013 2:50 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 20331687)
... and hasten the departure of Lufthansa's current management team
:D

Some might consider that a positive development...:D

TRAVELSIG Feb 28, 2013 6:13 am

Originally Posted by N1003U (Post 20331720)
Some might consider that a positive development...:D

Indeed.

tnmlyger Feb 28, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't see any way such a suggestion could even be taken seriously. Roughly 40 percent of LH's passengers on the SFO-MUC and SFO-FRA routes aren't from the Bay Area but connecting passengers. How would SJC be able to supply those?

eponymous_coward Feb 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Soon to be followed by an OAK-HAM route, along with LEJ-STS and STR-SMF flown on A380 equipment. :D