Problem with seat reservation on LH codeshare

Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador/IHG Platinum
Problem with seat reservation on LH codeshare

I was just after some advice about an issue I have.

In March I booked a trip for myself and my partner to the USA from London,UK using the Lufthansa website (I am a LH senator/ * G).

The outbound leg is a LH codeshare operated by United, and the return (via Frankfurt) is operated by Lufthansa. Both in economy.

When I booked I was able to select seats on all the flights including premium economy on the United operated flight. All of my seat selections were confirmed and I have documentation from March to show this. I assume I was able to select premium economy due to being an LH Senator and the codeshare being a LH/United atlantic journey where the 2 companies share e-ticketing and revenue share.

Yesterday my waitlist to upgrade both of us to business on the LH return leg was cleared and I went into my booking on the LH website to select seats.

At this point I also took a look at the seating plan for the outbound leg (also within my booking on the LH site) and I decided to move my seats slightly in the premium economy section as it was giving me the option to do so. I moved the seats back a few rows and confirmed the change. The booking is then saved, but when I went back into the check the booking the seats on the outbound leg were listed as "(requested)", and some minutes later as "(not possible / cancelled)". At this point I tried to re-select my original seats (which had been confirmed since March) but the same thing happens.

I rang Lufthansa and they are not sure what is going on - they said they can see I had confirmed seats in row 21 (2nd row of premium economy) from my booking history but cannot even access the seating plan for the flight on their system at the moment. They suggested calling back in a few days.

Any idea what I should / can do or should I just wait until checking in at the airport?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by StefanVonWochen
I assume I was able to select premium economy due to being an LH Senator and the codeshare being a LH/United atlantic journey where the 2 companies share e-ticketing and revenue share.
UA only gives away E+ to its elite, *G or *S get nothing: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...onomyPlus.aspx

Call UA and ask them to assign you some nice(r) seats in regular economy...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
UA only gives away E+ to its elite, *G or *S get nothing: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...onomyPlus.aspx

Call UA and ask them to assign you some nice(r) seats in regular economy...
Yes, I know that is the case but I had confimed seats in premium economy since March this year which I selected on LH.com when I made the booking.

If I log into lh.com now and go to my booking I can open up the seat plan and it lets me select seats in the premium economy section and shows them as "preferred" - my experience is that a seat will be blocked out and not selectable if I am not able to take that seat.

I would never have tried to move the seats if I knew the system would deny the change and leave me with no seats allocated.

Last edited by StefanVonWochen; Sep 7, 2012 at 8:09 am
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
E+ seating shows as 'preferred seating' in amadeus, hence LH.com shows it to you. That doesn't mean you are entitled to get it or that because they accepted a advance seat request previously they are supposed to move heaven and earth so you get it?

Code:
SM UA 0968/Q/04OCTEWRMUC/V                               /S002/                 
SM UA  0968  Q 04OCT EWRMUC        763                                          
         A  B     D  E  F     K  L                                              
Y 16  B           +  X  +     +  +  B  16 Y                                     
  17 <            +  V  +     /  /   > 17                                       
  18 <   /  /     +  V  +     +  +   > 18                                       
  19 <   +  +     +  V  +     +  +   > 19                                       
  20 <   +  +     +  +  +     /  /   > 20                                       
  21 <E  +  X     V  V  V     +  +  E> 21                                       
  22 <E  +  +     +  V  V     +  +  E> 22                                       
  23 <   +  +     .  .  +     +  +   > 23                                       
  24 <   +  +     +  +  +     +  +   > 24                                       
  25 <   +  +     +  .  +     +  +   > 25                                       
  26 <   +  +     +  .  +     +  +   > 26                                       
  27 <   +  +     +  .  +     +  +   > 27                                       
  28 <   +  +     +  .  +     +  +   > 28                                       
  29     +  +     +  +  +     +  +     29                                       
. AVAILABLE   <> WING     F GEN FACI   K GALLEY   E EXIT    C COT               
+ OCCUPIED    - LAST OFF  H HANDICAP   Q QUIET    G GROUPS  P PET               
/ RESTRICTED  B BULKHEAD  V PREF.SEAT  X BLOCKED  L LEGROOM U UMNR              
() SMOKING    D DEPORTEE  UP UP-DECK   Z NO FILM  I INFANT  R REAR              
)>
same flight, lh codeshare

Code:
>SM LH 7608/Q/04OCTEWRMUC                                 /v
SM LH 7608/Q/04OCTEWRMUC/V                                                      
SM UA  0968  Q 04OCT EWRMUC        763                                          
Y 16  B           +  X  +     +  +  B  16 Y                                     
  17 <            +  V  +     /  /   > 17                                       
  18 <   /  /     +  V  +     +  +   > 18                                       
  19 <   +  +     +  V  +     +  +   > 19                                       
  20 <   +  +     +  +  +     /  /   > 20                                       
  21 <E  +  X     V  V  V     +  +  E> 21                                       
  22 <E  +  +     +  V  V     +  +  E> 22                                       
  23 <   +  +     .  .  +     +  +   > 23                                       
  24 <   +  +     +  +  +     +  +   > 24                                       
  25 <   +  +     +  .  +     +  +   > 25                                       
  26 <   +  +     +  .  +     +  +   > 26                                       
  27 <   +  +     +  .  +     +  +   > 27                                       
  28 <   +  +     +  .  +     +  +   > 28                                       
  29     +  +     +  +  +     +  +     29                                       
. AVAILABLE   <> WING     F GEN FACI   K GALLEY   E EXIT    C COT               
+ OCCUPIED    - LAST OFF  H HANDICAP   Q QUIET    G GROUPS  P PET               
/ RESTRICTED  B BULKHEAD  V PREF.SEAT  X BLOCKED  L LEGROOM U UMNR              
() SMOKING    D DEPORTEE  UP UP-DECK   Z NO FILM  I INFANT  R REAR
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:27 am
Original Poster

I just want back what was confirmed for several months. What is wrong with that?

If I'd left the seats alone it still would be but I didn't know that because (as you say) the LH seating system showed me the seats as free for me to select.

I hope you can see how I ended up in this situation and that I just try to revert back to the initial confirmed position.

There are only 4 normal economy seats left - all single seats in different rows...

Last edited by StefanVonWochen; Sep 7, 2012 at 8:32 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.