Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VIE to ZRH: Which website to book: OS LH or LX?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:27 am
Original Poster

VIE to ZRH: Which website to book: OS LH or LX?

Hi All

I am going to be booking Austrian Airlines from VIE to ZRH

I want to know which website is best to book on

(im guessing OS) since I will be flying OS.

In terms of: Being able to select a seat in advance (can one do this?)
Online checkin the day before?
Downtown check in at CAT?

Can use LH website too - I have a feeling if I use this I may be able to select a seat in advance?

Other option is o fly Swiss 30 mins prior.

Is there any benefit in flying Swiss? Do they do downtown checkin or advance seat selection?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:22 am

Generally, book on whatever website that is cheapest.

Online-Checkin will be possible whatever airline you're flying, ie, booked on swiss.com, flying Austrian, no problem.

You may only order the Do&Co meals when you book an Austrian flight on their website, otherwise this won't work. On the other hand, 15€ will buy you plenty of food, and for a 1 hour flight, might not be worth.

CAT city checkin is only possible when you use the CAT train, which I personally think is a tourist-scam. S-Bahn is only a few minutes slower, travels more frequent, and saves about 8 or 9€ per person compared to CAT..

Really, I would see where it's cheapest (and convenient flights), and book there. No matter if codeshare or not.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I fully support what YuropFlyer says, particularly about the CAT.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Generally, book on whatever website that is cheapest.

Online-Checkin will be possible whatever airline you're flying, ie, booked on swiss.com, flying Austrian, no problem.

You may only order the Do&Co meals when you book an Austrian flight on their website, otherwise this won't work. On the other hand, 15€ will buy you plenty of food, and for a 1 hour flight, might not be worth.

CAT city checkin is only possible when you use the CAT train, which I personally think is a tourist-scam. S-Bahn is only a few minutes slower, travels more frequent, and saves about 8 or 9€ per person compared to CAT..

Really, I would see where it's cheapest (and convenient flights), and book there. No matter if codeshare or not.
Thanks both of you!!!!

I agree about the S Bahn but at 545am I want to get the latest possible and quickest option so dont mindtaking it.

The first time I came to VIE I took it and its a scam. Only do it with very early flights..... Now I only use S Bahn But agree with u lots!

OK cool, ill book the OS flight then on LH its EUR99. On The other two it was 105and 100 respectively
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Ansett767
Thanks both of you!!!!

I agree about the S Bahn but at 545am I want to get the latest possible and quickest option so dont mindtaking it.

The first time I came to VIE I took it and its a scam. Only do it with very early flights..... Now I only use S Bahn But agree with u lots!

OK cool, ill book the OS flight then on LH its EUR99. On The other two it was 105and 100 respectively
between vienna and zurich there used to be also Niki flying so you might save some money but loose (very little) miles.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skyluke
between vienna and zurich there used to be also Niki flying so you might save some money but loose (very little) miles.
Thanks! I checked but they only seem to have flights on Sunday afternoons and evenings.... no morning ones
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
May I just say a few words in defence of CAT - it's fast, very clean and comfortable, the city check-in enables you to get rid of luggage before boarding the train and arriving to the airport (no queuing once you're there), and finally, you earn C-Club points, which can come in handy for obtaining lounge access at VIE when you have a companion. Sufficient reason for me to part with a few extra Euro when departing from VIE.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I have a 10€ off OS voucher from my birthday that expires in 8 weeks, so let me know if you need it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I have a 10€ off OS voucher from my birthday that expires in 8 weeks, so let me know if you need it.
OMG amazing. I have just PM'd you; Thank you!!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ansett767
Thanks both of you!!!!

Last time I checked there was no CAT that early in the morning.

I avoid booking on the Austrian website as they charge a fee for using a credit card. You might be able to save that on other websites.

Warning to everybody: Do NOT use the "sofortueberweisung" service offered there. It would violate the agreement between you and your bank. Sofortueberweisung is a shady service that takes your online banking login&pw and scans all your bank accounts.

Unless you need segments, check out Niki. They might be much cheaper than OS, although their payment fee is higher. Plus you can order good food at a very competitive price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.