OS Rewads - which currency for fees?

Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:06 am
Original Poster

OS Rewads - which currency for fees?

Hi,

In which currency are taxes&fees charged to my credit card when I make a reward booking?

Situation: I'm trying to book a reward flight with Austrian (OS) from Vienna to Baku and back. My address is in Canada, so the taxes and fees are shown in Canadian Dollars (225 CAD).

However, during the booking process I'm told that the ticket is issued in Euro and thus the actual cost can vary due to exchange rate fluctuation.

Would anyone here definitely know if Miles&More will charge my credit card in Euro or in Canadian Dollars?

As I have credit cards in both currencies I'd like to pick the right one to currency conversion fees.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Ticket issued in Austria, so it is Euro
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Ticket issued in Austria, so it is Euro
IIRC I've had (normal) tickets issued in Euro-countries but my credit card was still billed in Canadian Dollars. Then again I had a ticket issued in Switzerland but I was billed in Euro.

Just because it is issued in a certain place doesn't mean that the amount sent to the payment processor is actually in that countries currency.

Have you tried with reward booking on OS when their own websites shows you a different currency?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The last time I did something like this I was asked in which currency I would like to be billed...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

I've called Miles&More (where the automatic on-hold announcement advertises "Did you know that Austrian and BMI are part of Star Alliance?" and invites callers to book BMI). The lady couldn't answer my question and referred me to the Austrian Airlines callcenter for Canada.

There I was told I would be charged Canadian Dollars, but the exact amount could not be guaranteed as that would depend on the exchange rate.

Should I trust that information?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
The last time I did something like this I was asked in which currency I would like to be billed...
The website doesn't ask me. And I can't book that ticket over the phone (unless I'give up 4x the miles).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you want to make sure you get charged in your local currency, you need to book with TA or OTA (eg expedia.ca for CA) in your country. LH group websites will try to redirect you to the point of sale based on the point of origin of the ticket, so it is very probable that you will end up getting billed in the currency of the point of origin and your credit card will charge you transaction fees.

Note that ex Austria OS also charges the OPC, so the ticket may be 8-15€ cheaper when purchased in Canada from a TA/OTA @:-)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you want to make sure you get charged in your local currency, you need to book with TA or OTA (eg expedia.ca for CA) in your country. LH group websites will try to redirect you to the point of sale based on the point of origin of the ticket, so it is very probable that you will end up getting billed in the currency of the point of origin and your credit card will charge you transaction fees.

Note that ex Austria OS also charges the OPC, so the ticket may be 8-15€ cheaper when purchased in Canada from a TA/OTA @:-)
TA for award tickets?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yep, morning coffee was yet to work.

OK, rephrase: M&M award tickets booked online on M&M.com are charged in CAD by LH even if its on OS metal.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yep, morning coffee was yet to work.

OK, rephrase: M&M award tickets booked online on M&M.com are charged in CAD by LH even if its on OS metal.
That is what both M&M Canada AND M&M Austrian in Vienna told me. The latter had even asked the second level: The booking system issues the ticket in Euro, but then looks at your address and converts the amount to Canadian Dollars. "Your credit card will be billed in Canadian Dollars."

Blatant lies. These people have no clue how their own systems work!

No I've paid forex exchange fees to Amex for no reason. I have an Austrian Amex card as well. Plus, I did not get the double rewards points.

Last edited by sokolov; Aug 20, 2013 at 10:02 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:02 am

A little off topic: When checking out of hotels in the Middle East, I am often asked if I would like my bill in EUR or local currency. I always pick local currency, since the exchange rate applied is - surprise, surprise - not favorable.

Also, my credit card company would still charge a fee, even if the transaction were in EUR. The fee is not for foreign exchange, but for foreign usage of the card.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Miles & More has now added a disclaimer that states that the fees are shown in some other currency, but that the charge will be in a similar amount in Euro. This disclaimer shows up at the very end of the award booking process.

So far so OK.

However, my credit card provider tells me that I have been charged in USD. I'll have to wait for the actual credit card statement to see if that is true. Departure is from VIE, the flight is direct within Europe, and the billing address is in Canada.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

There was some issue with this charge. It took ten days to appear on my account, which is unusually long. But I have been charged in Euro, so it works correctly now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.