FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Am I crazy for flying LH J transatlantic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1376051-am-i-crazy-flying-lh-j-transatlantic.html)

bcj1949 Aug 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Am I crazy for flying LH J transatlantic

I am starting to fly the A380 from JKF to FRA and then connecting in Europe depending where I need to go. No flat seat. But I like their being on schedule. They are professional. Planes across the atlantic clean as are those in Europe. I am paying for the J seat and could do SQ or BA but I like the consistent LH product and service. Thoughts from others?

Cargojon Aug 10, 2012 4:42 pm

LH when SQ is an option? Yes, you're crazy.

bcj1949 Aug 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for note!! Appreciated!!

will2288 Aug 10, 2012 5:21 pm

There are lots of good things about LH J, the seat is just not one of them. Your final destination and price concerns are an important factor, as well.

Price aside, my preferences in order for J travel are:

1 - non-stop
2 - fully-flat seat
3 - having the shortest second flight as possible (so if I was flying BOS-DUS, I would prefer BOS-MUC-DUS over BOS-DUB-DUS)
4 - flying short flight first (so BOS-JFK-BRU is better than BOS-LHR-BRU)
5 - flying late at night, as opposed to an mid-afternoon flight (this is especially important on short TATL flights from BOS/JFK etc.)

Depending on where you are going, BA might be a good option to look into. I would try to find some actual data on flight on-time performance to see how much (if at all) LH is better than BA. Anecdotal evidence can often be wrong. But there is certainly nothing terrible about LH, in my opinion.

seat 1a Aug 11, 2012 12:28 am

Yes , you are.

LHSEN Aug 11, 2012 9:45 am

SQ hands down. Alternatively, I would not mind LX.

CAlex Aug 11, 2012 12:11 pm

If the flight times are significantly more convenient, or if the price is good, LH all-the-way.
However competitors are better and better for US-EU routes with lie-flat seats, wide network coverage and attractive price (LX, BA, US, UA, TK).

will2288 Aug 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Considering LH has the second largest J cabin in the sky (98 seats on their A380), there must be a lot of crazy people out there. :)

(ASFAIK, only the all-J SQ A345 has more J seats, 100)

ysolde Aug 11, 2012 12:38 pm

JFK-FRA? Just fly SQ. Lie-flat bed, good service (in the air, anyway; at JFK, SQ's service is still a bit disorganized, IMHO), good (airplane) food, and good schedule. LH is OK when you can't get a non-stop flight with a lie-flat bed.

Bear in mind that most of the products usually provided in the J travel kit, SQ provides in the lavatory. SQ's J "travel kit" (such as it is) only contains a pair of socks and an eye mask (and maybe some ear plugs?). Toothbrush, toothpaste, creams, etc., are all in the lavatory.

FollowTheSun Aug 11, 2012 2:22 pm

You are not. The seat may be mediocre and outdated, but it is still more than bearable. Everything else is fine. You'll be okay for that 7+ hour hop.

Thor3 Aug 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Paid or Reward ticket?

Originally Posted by ysolde (Post 19101942)
JFK-FRA? Just fly SQ. Lie-flat bed, good service (in the air, anyway; at JFK, SQ's service is still a bit disorganized, IMHO), good (airplane) food, and good schedule. LH is OK when you can't get a non-stop flight with a lie-flat bed.

Bear in mind that most of the products usually provided in the J travel kit, SQ provides in the lavatory. SQ's J "travel kit" (such as it is) only contains a pair of socks and an eye mask (and maybe some ear plugs?). Toothbrush, toothpaste, creams, etc., are all in the lavatory.

-------

Agree with SQ on the revenue ticket. However if this is a reward ticket, depending on the program and the number of seats needed, you may find more J seats available with LH.

seat 1a Aug 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by FollowTheSun (Post 19102396)
You are not. The seat may be mediocre and outdated, but it is still more than bearable.

:D:D ROFL

ysolde Aug 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Thor3 (Post 19102459)
-------

Agree with SQ on the revenue ticket. However if this is a reward ticket, depending on the program and the number of seats needed, you may find more J seats available with LH.

Oooh, good point!

Shareholder Aug 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde (Post 19101942)

Yes, on LH and LX you'll get a tin pencil box. On SQ you must stuff the toiletries into your pockets! But there is a huge difference in the J/C seats between the two (even three) carriers. SQ's takes some getting used to while the LH one is among the least successful sleeper seats. LX's is quite unique while OS is a fairly generic sort.

You want to go where? Aug 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by will2288 (Post 19098265)
4 - flying short flight first (so BOS-JFK-BRU is better than BOS-LHR-BRU)

Interesting that you prefer the short flight first. I prefer the short flight second. If your short flight is late, you could miss your transatlantic which could result in waiting an entire day for the next flight. If you miss your short flight in Europe, there is almost always another which you can take.

Otherwise, your preferences match mine.