intra-Europe Business: Lufthansa or Austrian?

Old Aug 4, 12, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA PLT, DL PM, MR PLT PREM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS

I'm flying FRA-VIE in a few months and have the option of Lufthansa (A320) or Austrian (A321) in business class.

I realize it's a short flight, but was wondering if there's any discernable difference in product for European short-haul J? Does anyone have a preference one way or the other? I've flown LH shorthaul a number of times, but never OS.

Thanks,
FlyerBeek
Old Aug 4, 12, 2:56 pm

Programs: LH M+M (dropped to blue since hardly flying with them anymore), EY Guest Silver

Take Austrian, Do&Co food is VERY superior to LH offerings.
Hard product is equal
Old Aug 4, 12, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA PLT, DL PM, MR PLT PREM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
Thanks! That's the same company that caters the FCT, isn't it?

Even though the flight is listed as Tyrolean Air (Austrian Wings) with an OS code - is it still considered Austrian (Star Alliance) for lounge access purposes?

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 4, 12, 4:31 pm

Programs: AB Gold, LH FTL, ST ElitePlus, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, Melia Gold
Austrian! indeed as previously posted the catering is excellent!

In my experience, Tyrolean Air belonging to OS, it doesn't cause any problem for lounge access and other *A benefits. It should be perfectly identical to an OS ticket.
Old Aug 5, 12, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks whatever suits you time wise. And I would prefer LH mainline compared to Austrian Arrows.
Old Aug 5, 12, 2:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What is the food difference for a typical 2 hour intra-Europe flight?
Old Aug 5, 12, 3:44 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
Thanks whatever suits you time wise. And I would prefer LH mainline compared to Austrian Arrows.
My recent VIE-NRT trips on 772 were also 'operated by Tyrolean'. If it is a 321, it's not Arrows.
Old Aug 5, 12, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk View Post
My recent VIE-NRT trips on 772 were also 'operated by Tyrolean'. If it is a 321, it's not Arrows.
Ended up choosing OS - just to try something new. Both the LH and OS flights were only an hour apart and either time worked for me.

Oddly, when booking the website showed "Operated by Tyrolean Air (Austrian Arrows)". The confirmation now says "Operated by Tyrolean Airlines for Lufthansa" for the exact same flight.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 5, 12, 11:31 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH Diamond
I'd say all OS flights from now on are 'operated by Tyrolean', due to the recent changes within Austrian.
Old Aug 6, 12, 4:53 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Just want to agree

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk View Post
I'd say all OS flights from now on are 'operated by Tyrolean', due to the recent changes within Austrian.
The flight number and airline code "OS" will not be changed. There is an internal dispute between the management of OS and their employees about the collective agreement concerning wages and benefits.

Therefore personnel is more and more engaged under the framework of the "VO" agreement. No change visible for the pax.

Search this Thread