Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is MCT for LH418 in IAD so high?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Why is MCT for LH418 in IAD so high?

I was looking at FRA-IAD on LH418 (748i) and then a connector to LAX, so I was trying to figure out the MCT and was astonished when I saw this:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: IAD/LH-UA]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         IAD                          045 045 090 090  

EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L FLT-NBR         DEPARR                                      

LH 0418                                        --- --- 105 105  
UA 0001-9999                                                    

-ALL-                                                           
**END OF DISPLAY**
I guess it is really only 15 minutes higher than the standard ID MCT, but still, why does it need an extra 15 minutes?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:13 pm
hch

I guess because IAD is such a pain in the a** for immigration. When I took LH418 it literally took me 90 minutes from getting out of the plane until I got back into concourse A for my UAX connection.

There are multiple factors on why it is so painful:

- it takes forever for the mobile lounges to first get moving and then make it to the immigration facility
- lines at the immigration facilities are some of the longest I've ever seen
- then you need to walk forever to a hidden train station under the middle of the tarmac to take the train back to your connection. This last item won't apply if you have a flight out of concourse C/D, but it's the least of the pain anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I would even raise the MCT to 120 min, the FIS for the transit pax around noon in IAD is a desaster. Within 1 to 4pm they have 1300-2000 pax/hour arriving for processing

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/wait_times/
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: QR Gold, TK Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I would even raise the MCT to 120 min
I second that...IAD is a mess concerning immigration and also security...

the mobile lounges that dump a whole plane at one time don't really help
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

OT: why on earth don't they use the data they get before the longhaul even takes off towards IAD to atleast make their staff plan to open all counters? The DHS has intricate details of each passenger coming in x hours.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OT: why on earth don't they use the data they get before the longhaul even takes off towards IAD to atleast make their staff plan to open all counters? The DHS has intricate details of each passenger coming in x hours.
+1
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:37 am

It's always great to walk down those stairs into the main immigration hall (if IAD is your final destination) and to see that only 5 counters are staffed

but the same goes for LAX too...I never got how they determine how many officers they need working the counters...throwing dices??
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:16 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by birsti
It's always great to walk down those stairs into the main immigration hall (if IAD is your final destination) and to see that only 5 counters are staffed

but the same goes for LAX too...I never got how they determine how many officers they need working the counters...throwing dices??
it's far more complicated than that!

there is a constant, let's call it R and that's the benchmark...

R=Number of arriving passengers * Number of Officers

there's no other way I could possibly explain the LAX-effect
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:19 am

Last month I spent 75 min in line at JFK. I knew it in advance based on the stats from the above link and made sure I had things to do during the wait. We had a LH & KE A380 ahead of us and a AF 777 behind us plus the SU and OS flights. I sometimes wonder why they bother to publish the data.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
With GE I process my passport in any US airport in one minute @:-)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Do you really have to rub the salt in there ?

I really wish I'd have the chance to go that route - and I do have only 3-4 flights a year to the US.

But no matter what I'd really avoid IAD at all cost for immigration purposes. Not even in a true fourth world country with a military regime you'll find this self embarrassing ignorance and non-organisation that IAD shows..
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:58 am

I always oggle the GE kiosks with a jealous drool...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:36 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I suppose the figures published include all arriving passengers including US passport holders. Here is an example from ORD T5 last June:

Code:
Time of Day  Min   Av   Max   #pax   Booths
5 to 6 PM     0    21   147    727    35
With GE I process my passport in any US airport
Processing time of 0 minute must belong to GE while most 'aliens' had to wait close to 147 minutes rather than 21 minutes.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There's no motivation to fix this. UA is the dominant carrier at IAD and it has its own mid-field terminal and processing. If you arrive from overseas on UA, you will process directly back into the C terminal and be only a short distance to the A or D terminals as well.

There's no incentive to make it more convenient for non-UA intl. to domestic UA.

Add to the arrivals time, the possibility that you are entering the checkpoint during a busy period and you need to allow an extra 45 mins. for that.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Processing time of 0 minute must belong to GE while most 'aliens' had to wait close to 147 minutes rather than 21 minutes.
Yep, I checked the time for the day I waited 74 mins, the range also went from 5 to 74 min

@Often1: LH revenue shares the traffic with UA, and most people connect to UA at IAD, so the botheration to UA by holding back LH pax is quite significant as it garbles their hub traffic badly.

The pax terminating in IAD have a nice facility, literally walked thru immigration last year when our trip ended in IAD (oh, and I had my two sons with US passports with me, that may have facilitated things )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.