connect in MUC on 2 tickets

Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S

Hello,

was just wondering if there is any chance for an earlier standby on LH flight.

I will arrive on Lh from LHR and connect in Munich to a later flight in MUC.
I have only 2 hours in MUC to connect to an earlier flight on another ticket, therefore will book next flight which leaves in 5 hours.

However, if flight are on time could I standby on the earlier flight on LH?how?

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
#1 - do not check any bags. In theory since you are on 2 PNRs it should not matter, but it is always easier without checked bags.
#2 - once you get of the plane in MUC go to the transfer desk and ask them nicely to move you to the earlier flight. They have done it in the past, they only refused me twice when the earlier flight was full.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions.

Actually I will have 2 bags but I will try to do what you said. If there are seats hopefully I will get one.

Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†

You can ask, but if traveling on a discounted ticket your chances are very slim. Be prepared to fly on the booked flight.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
You can ask, but if traveling on a discounted ticket your chances are very slim. Be prepared to fly on the booked flight.
+1. Especially w/ 2 bags.
But MUC is one of the best airports to wait/stay, so you're lucky anyway.
cheer up!
mfk
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
+1. Especially w/ 2 bags.
But MUC is one of the best airports to wait/stay, so you're lucky anyway.
cheer up!
mfk
LH is very good in not putting you onto an earlier flight. Otherwise people would not buy the expensive flexible fares. You may be lucky if your original flight is overbooked. Otherwise check what you can do in 5 hours in MUC. There are plenty of options (including to go to the Therme Erding Spa which is in driving distance).

2 hours would be plenty of time to connect. You can easily do a 40 minutes connection!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
2 hours would be plenty of time to connect. You can easily do a 40 minutes connection!
The wait time for bags in MUC is really bad (30-45 min), so if you have to recheck lugagge, you need more time.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The wait time for bags in MUC is really bad (30-45 min), so if you have to recheck lugagge, you need more time.
Thank you.

I will be flying from US....connecting in LHR....and will have around 2 h 30 min in MUC. Appart from that I have *G so I can enter the lounge.
Good to know that they do not put you easily on an earlier flight. I will book better the earlier flight.

What if I miss the earlier flight, beeing on a separate ticket. Will they put me on the later flight?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
What if I miss the earlier flight, beeing on a separate ticket. Will they put me on the later flight?

If you pay several hundred Euros, yes. For free? Highly unlikely.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:14 am

No need to reclaim the luggage. You can check it through. Just present the itinary at checkin. If you miss the connection you depend on the goodwill of LH. If the whole itinary is on LH they may be nice to you. You may think about a travel insurance.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:27 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I did manage to check my baggage through MUC once when travelling on two separate LH tickets. I had 5 hours in MUC (instead of 2 hours on a later flight) to make sure I did not miss the connection and for my upgrade to clear.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:56 am
Original Poster

No need to reclaim the luggage. You can check it through. Just present the itinary at checkin. If you miss the connection you depend on the goodwill of LH. If the whole itinary is on LH they may be nice to you. You may think about a travel insurance.
Very helpful advice Tyrolean!!!. I have not thought of this variant to show 2 separate tickets. Unfortunately first 2 segments are on UA so not sure if they will be able to check me in through....?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum

Yes, they will check bags through. Have traveled several times with UA then other *A carrier (LH, TK), and in SFO they checked my bag all the way. Allow 15-20 minutes extra for checkin though, depending on your departure airport in US.

If you need to recheck bags, 2hrs would be minimum. If not, 1 hour is plenty of time already.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CAlex
Yes, they will check bags through. Have traveled several times with UA then other *A carrier (LH, TK), and in SFO they checked my bag all the way. Allow 15-20 minutes extra for checkin though, depending on your departure airport in US.

If you need to recheck bags, 2hrs would be minimum. If not, 1 hour is plenty of time already.
So you showed UA agents your second ticket as well and they were able to check it through? No problems at all? I will fly from a small mexican airport...

Many thanks for advice.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:51 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
With all that time, why not go and enjoy a beer at the airport Brewery outside the front doors on the public side?

One of the few airports in the world with such a feature.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.