FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Random Upgrades? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1371236-random-upgrades.html)

Biginch Jul 27, 2012 8:32 am

Random Upgrades?

a co-worker was flying IAH-FRA-RUH a couple of days ago and was Upgraded to Business at the gate for the FRA-RUH leg. we all travel on H fares and were all surprised by this given that the aircraft was maybe 30% filled and LH's reputation for never upgrading.

anyone have any insight on why this happened?

Thanks, in advance.:)

rotanes Jul 27, 2012 8:34 am

He did an upgrade with miles or vouchers and was too shy to admit

Biginch Jul 27, 2012 9:09 am

no status, no miles or vouchers to use. :cool: first trip for new job, previous job didnt require travel.

lacoca Jul 27, 2012 1:36 pm

indeed very strange.. :confused:

what about if he paid upgrade cash ? (somehow in the meantime)

otherwise i cannot realize, with no status... VIP ! ;)

all the op up i scored in my LH saga, have been after I reached SEN and only on overbooked flights...

Marek_Limanowa Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by rotanes (Post 19012058)
He did an upgrade with miles or vouchers and was too shy to admit

:D

I received upgrade twice during this year, but do not know why.

WAW-FRA February

and FRA-FLR June

In Europe it makes no sense, but....

greendx Jul 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Biginch (Post 19012240)
no status, no miles or vouchers to use. :cool: first trip for new job, previous job didnt require travel.

Don't know if LH does this but I've read that Emirates (and probably others) upgrades business travelers that they find valuable. For example those in charge of corporate travel in their organization, C-level executives, etc.

nave888 Jul 28, 2012 12:40 am

Happened to me on a LOT flight once. Low T fare, FF number or status weren't on my booking, but the agent said Y was oversold and she had to bump some people.

It was strange....it was an ATR, so the J cabin should have been 1 person per 2 seats...in 12 seats, they had 10 people...so rather than move the curtain and make a smaller J cabin, they gave all 10 of us J food and service, while cramming us in like Y....

rotanes Jul 28, 2012 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Biginch (Post 19012041)
a co-worker was flying IAH-FRA-RUH a couple of days ago and was Upgraded to Business at the gate for the FRA-RUH leg. we all travel on H fares and were all surprised by this given that the aircraft was maybe 30% filled and LH's reputation for never upgrading.

As you mentioned, the aircraft was only 30% full. So LH might have decided to use a reduced number of cabin-crew for this flight and consequently for safety reasons they had to reduce the number of pax in the Y-cabin. As all of you were flying with a usually quite expensive H-class ticket, this could have qualified anyone in your group for an operational upgrade.

Biginch Jul 28, 2012 8:40 am

Originally Posted by rotanes (Post 19016465)
As you mentioned, the aircraft was only 30% full. So LH might have decided to use a reduced number of cabin-crew for this flight and consequently for safety reasons they had to reduce the number of pax in the Y-cabin. As all of you were flying with a usually quite expensive H-class ticket, this could have qualified anyone in your group for an operational upgrade.

thanks,
very good explanation.

htb Jul 29, 2012 1:19 am

Originally Posted by rotanes (Post 19016465)
As all of you were flying with a usually quite expensive H-class ticket, this could have qualified anyone in your group for an operational upgrade.

Which would make any loyal SEN on the same flight in a lower booking class wonder why he/she should remain loyal to LH. But one-off money being more important to LH than long-term loyality is another subject altogether, being clearly demonstrated.

HTB.

Biginch Jul 29, 2012 2:36 am

We will all be sens or p1ks in a year, just wondering what could have prompted the gift.

UK_GO Jul 29, 2012 7:52 am

Some time ago a friend of mine was upgraded on a nearly empty flight, and it was just because of a weight compensation problem. There were no status pax as he understood.

So, there might be cases were people get upgraded without status on an empty flight. Nice, isn't it? It makes the whole game a bit more interesting and funny ;)