Rules for Involuntary & long-term Schedule Changes

Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The same or higher booking class.

Did you check which fare classes are available for your flight/date? Should give you an indication of the booking class for the new flight. No need to call LH about this.
Baker421 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:13 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Baker421
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I can't seem to find it. Due to the updated winter schedule, I've had a flight cancellation/change to one of my itineraries. Before I accept it, I want to know what fare class they've put me into. Where can I find this? Do I really have to call to find out?
The general rule is to rebook into the original booking class IF it is available. If not, they will rebook into the next available booking class within the same cabin. They wont rebook into lower class. As mentioned by other, check which booking class is on sale for that particular segment/combination and it should give you an idea of what you may end up in.
Fabo.sk and Baker421 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:16 am

Thank you all. The seat assignments for the long haul flight changed also, from row 2 to row 7. Knowing it was a a350, I really didn't want to be so close to the galley, so I went to EF to see what was available. The configuration for that flight is an a350 and 1-2-1 in business. Does this mean it is one of the AY planes? Trying to decide what to do here . . . ask for a different routing on the day originally booked, or take the new flight, which is a day earlier than planned.

And then if I ask for a different routing on the original day of travel, does it matter if the original booking class (P in this case) is available or not? What if only J is available? Are they required to accommodate?

Last edited by Baker421; Sep 13, 2023 at 2:05 pm Reason: Edited to add a question
Old Sep 14, 2023, 6:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
1-2-1 is one of the ex PR A359 with a nicer business cabin. Definitely a flighht you should keep.

LH leases 4 A359 (former Phillipines)
Baker421 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
1-2-1 is one of the ex PR A359 with a nicer business cabin. Definitely a flighht you should keep.

LH leases 4 A359 (former Phillipines)
Thanks, I did end up keeping it, even though I lose a day of the trip. And for what it's worth, the fare classes all stayed the same (once I agreed to the change, they sent the new itinerary with fare class).
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:28 am

No more rebooking into higher booking classes in case of IRROPS/Schedule Changes?

Hi,

I noticed that LH now reissues your ticket in the original booking class instead of reissuing it in the higher booking classes in case of schedule changes/IRROPS.

Two cases:

One was an LX non-stop getting axed due to a schedule change 3 months out. The ticket was reissued in "K" despite only "W" availability. Originally "K" was booked. This change was via the chatbot.

One was an LH express rail ticket getting rebooked onto a flight today due to the rail strike. The ticket was reissued in "W" despite only "M" availability. Originally "W" was booked. This change was via the call center.

Is this now a bug or a feature?

Your experiences?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
I have had both, rebooking into original bucket & getting the current one…..
Old Dec 8, 2023, 1:39 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
It depends on the situation. The automatic system rebooks you into the same booking class for most normal irrops situations, as do the agents. However, once it gets more complicated (several rebookings, routing change, O/D change etc.) there is a chance to end up in a higher booking class.

When my FRA-GVA flight went tech I was rebooked automatically into the same booking class (P) on the next flight, when I asked support if they could add a rail segment between GVA and Lausanne, they kindly did so and my ticket was reissued in C. So it can still happen.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:45 am

Programs: M&M HON***
Its unpredictable. Sometimes you may even get a full fare F ticket for a third party carrier in exchange for a LH/LX ticket in O. But surely only as last resort.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Manual intervention will land you in whatever BK is still open in the cabin class. Automated rebooking will release a seat in the original BK and rebook you.
gru_muc likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by gru_muc
It’s unpredictable. Sometimes you may even get a full fare F ticket for a third party carrier in exchange for a LH/LX ticket in O. But surely only as last resort.
If rebooked OAL/non-LH Group obviously you will be rebooked into whatever booking class is available. LH/LH Group can't control/have no access to inventory that is already closed with the operating carrier.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:39 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Manual intervention will land you in whatever BK is still open in the cabin class. Automated rebooking will release a seat in the original BK and rebook you.
Can second this: recently had a booking via MUC to VIE in D, which was cancelled.
Agent booked me via FRA to VIE in C. Interestingly, the routing was not available when I looked for it on LH.com.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA1K
if the website offers you rebooking options, would that be considered manual intervention? had a schedule change that triggered the online alternatives, so curious what peoples experiences have been in that scenario
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:02 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
if the website offers you rebooking options, would that be considered manual intervention? had a schedule change that triggered the online alternatives, so curious what peoples experiences have been in that scenario
I had a a flight combination AMS-FRA-GRU where I used eV to upgrade FRA-GRU to "O". AMS-FRA got cancelled. Using chatbot I changed the routing to AMS-ZRH-GRU where ZRH-GRU was confirmed in "A" (award) despite no award seats being available. So, go figure :-)
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
The website uses the Amadeus Ticket Changer which will try to rebook you in to the original fare class. If all fails then it just picks whatever inventory is available in that cabin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.