Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules for Involuntary & long-term Schedule Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
OP here: my situation:
Booked BRU-FRA-VIE-BKK. They cancelled BRU-FRA and changed to other flights BRU-FRA-VIE. However the proposed new flights leave me 10 minutes for connecting in VIE to BKK, obviously not meeting MCT.
Complicating: I booked through Expedia and they cannot put me on BRU-VIE direct so that I can make the connection because it is not part of a published BRU-BKK ticket I guess.
Do you guys think that LH would be able to put me on the BRU-VIE flight? (If not then maybe the 200 mile rule could help me out in some way).

Or: I can just accept the flight changes and let them deal with us in VIE? Or will they pick up on the 10 minute connection at some point?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: LH HON, SQ TPPS, QR PLAT, EK SILVER, VN TITANIUM, HHilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by janwillem
OP here: my situation:
Booked BRU-FRA-VIE-BKK. They cancelled BRU-FRA and changed to other flights BRU-FRA-VIE. However the proposed new flights leave me 10 minutes for connecting in VIE to BKK, obviously not meeting MCT.
Complicating: I booked through Expedia and they cannot put me on BRU-VIE direct so that I can make the connection because it is not part of a published BRU-BKK ticket I guess.
Do you guys think that LH would be able to put me on the BRU-VIE flight? (If not then maybe the 200 mile rule could help me out in some way).

Or: I can just accept the flight changes and let them deal with us in VIE? Or will they pick up on the 10 minute connection at some point?
is the BRU-VIE and VIE-BKK on one ticket or separate tickets?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Obviously, it is 1 ticket. No same person would book this as two tickets as the fare ex BRU is much lower than ex VIE.

If Expedia refuse to rebook, leave it as it is for now. LH will contact Exp about other rebooking options once IT discovers that your new itinerary is not valid. If not show up for check-in at BRU, play dumb and airport staff will be forced to rebook you on the direct flight to VIE (assuming of course that the direct flight departs after your current rebooked BRU-FRA-VIE).

However, I think this will be dealt with in advance, so for now, accept new itinerary and lean back and relax!

Last edited by SK AAR; Jun 29, 2022 at 5:41 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Obviously, it is 1 ticket. No same person would book this as two tickets as the fare ex BRU is much lower than ex VIE.

If Expedia refuse to rebook, leave it as it is for now. LH will contact Exp about other rebooking options once IT discovers that your new itinerary is not valid. If not show up for check-in at BRU, play dumb and airport staff will be forced to rebook you on the direct flight to VIE (assuming of course that the direct flight departs after your current rebooked BRU-FRA-VIE).

However, I think this will be dealt with in advance, so for now, accept new itinerary and lean back and relax!
Sounds like the way to go, thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:17 am

LHG had a lot of different rules for that since the pandemic started. And it’s hard to foresee the rules for the next months.

I would NOT accept the new itinerary. I would wait as long as possible or looking for a good connection and request to change the booking to that.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I don't think 200 miles rule is relevant here anyway, as your origin and destination remain the same (BRU and BKK). As for transit airport, I believe it is very common to change routing by far more than 200 miles.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thbe
I would NOT accept the new itinerary. I would wait as long as possible or looking for a good connection and request to change the booking to that.
Having considered it again, maybe it is best for now not to accept anything.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810
As for transit airport, I believe it is very common to change routing by far more than 200 miles.
Ofc. For transits there is no such rule. We are talking about origin and destination.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: TK*G
I had a BLQ-MUC-FRA-PEK on LH. BLQ-MUC delayed and i lost the connection to FRA. LH gave me the direct flight to PEK with CA.
I think this could be your situation at checkin if the system doesn't recognize the error.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by vkis
That's not always the case, I've had success getting CGN changed to BRU and BUD to VIE.
Sure, me too, but I have heard the "same country" excuse quite a few times. The other thing agents will often say is "we can't change the origin, because there are lots of other flights available on that route"

Moreover, you cannot transit through the existing origin: e.g. FRA-DUB, you cannot change to BSL-FRA-DUB, even though BSL is within 200 miles of FRA (I kind of understand that one)

Also, many have never heard of the rule, or think it is 200km, or will calculate using the distance between the city centres (if that is further than the airport).

LH agents can be very creative sometimes.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:34 am

Is there not a partner airline that can get you where you need to go?

LH cancelled FRA-DFW last weekend. Passenger was able to fly FRA-IAH on LH--then UA up to Dallas. LH will protect on a partner, if need be.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:47 pm

Quick (and hopefully final) update: I ended up calling LH here in the Netherlands and stated my case that Expedia was not willing/able to put me on the BRU-VIE flight. I was on hold quite a bit (no status) but in the end the agent said that it was ultimately LH's doing to create a 10min connection so she ended up issuing a new ticket starting with BRU-VIE and no need to contact Expedia again. She said they normally do not meddle with a TA booking like that. So all is solved to my satisfaction.

Btw, the 200 mile rule question was about the fact that it may have offered me options like changing to depart from AMS or DUS if BRU would not have been possible.

I normally don't book with OTA's and for good reason. But I could not refuse a 1070 euro return in business class BRU-BKK.

Thanks everyone.
SK AAR and thbe like this.

Last edited by janwillem; Jun 29, 2022 at 11:56 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by RRROOO
Is there not a partner airline that can get you where you need to go?

LH cancelled FRA-DFW last weekend. Passenger was able to fly FRA-IAH on LH--then UA up to Dallas. LH will protect on a partner, if need be.
On thing is flying FRA-DEN (iso DFW) other completely different is transit. As LH group does not operate direct flights to DFW but LH itstelf, the second best option is flying to the USA hub of one of Star partners and from there to final destination.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by janwillem
Quick (and hopefully final) update: I ended up calling LH here in the Netherlands and stated my case that Expedia was not willing/able to put me on the BRU-VIE flight. I was on hold quite a bit (no status) but in the end the agent said that it was ultimately LH's doing to create a 10min connection so she ended up issuing a new ticket starting with BRU-VIE and no need to contact Expedia again. She said they normally do not meddle with a TA booking like that. So all is solved to my satisfaction.

Btw, the 200 mile rule question was about the fact that it may have offered me options like changing to depart from AMS or DUS if BRU would not have been possible.

I normally don't book with OTA's and for good reason. But I could not refuse a 1070 euro return in business class BRU-BKK.

Thanks everyone.
Ohhh lucky you, the agent did a great job. Even in these cases, the airline would push you to OTA directly no matter what. And also you got a really good deal to BKK though. Congrats!
janwillem likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:11 pm

Rebooking Options

Hi all,

We are due to fly BHX-MUC(LH) MUC-SIN(LH) SIN-SYD(SQ) in February. We have had our BHX-MUC leg cancelled and rebooked on a flight 5 hours earlier making it a c32hr flight which is less than ideal with three young kids.

How far will LH move with the rebooking? There is a BHX-MUC(LH) MUC-SIN(SQ) SIN-SYD(SQ) on the same day would be far better. Would they switch the MUC-SIN to SQ metal? Will they switch to any other Star Alliance combination with LX/TK/NH, etc on the same day? A day either side?

I will be calling them later but just wanted to be prepared for what my options might be before i call.

Thanks all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.