Rules for Involuntary & long-term Schedule Changes

Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:18 pm

'no availability' despite plenty on LH.com

I had a flight from LHR to AKL via ZRH and HKG which was cancelled (dep. 19th December). I've called to rebook for within a week of my flight for 12th, and agent said no availability for all of December despite availability showing via LAX or NRT. She said only option is a refund and you can book yourself. Of course the cost is now 3x what I paid.

Does this sound right? Surely I can ask to be routed via LAX or NRT if it gets me to the same destination??
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Couldn't care less that LH now has to work through my (moot) written complaint and complaint to DoT.
The US DoT has no teeth - esp. foreign airlines tend to ignore them.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The policy has been updated again in November:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
file_152012(3).pdf (712.8 KB, 154 views)
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh they FINALLY added the exception for expired tickets

Exception: for expired tickets with confirmed ticketed date of travel: on/after 01FEB2020 and on/before 31DEC2020

 Involuntary reissue is permitted without waiver provided all rules of the Schedule Change/Irregularity policy are strictly adhered to.

 For technical reasons, Lufthansa Group tickets are retrievable for 720 days after the last ticketed coupon travel date. After that, a re-issue is no longer possible
Only took them a year...

Did they get sued?
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesnt LH Groups very early abandonment of the voucher policy look absolutely tin eared and stupid with impending lockdown in Germany and already in AT.

Theyre the only major European carrier to not allow pax to convert their booking to a voucher even though its money in the bank for them?

BA, AF-KLM, LO, all permit it, and probably many more I dont know very well.

PLUS change fees according to the fare conditions. They really make me sick. Head in the ground like nothing is going on.

Why? Absolute greed and abusing a dominant market position. Unfortunately the consumer in those home markets have little choice.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I don't want a voucher, I wan't to be able to rebook any cancelled itinerary without repricing and without any discussion of ticket validity etc
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, that is now policy, moreover, its the policy of most carriers I listed.

The two matters are not related
Old Nov 24, 2021, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I had a flight from LHR to AKL via ZRH and HKG which was cancelled (dep. 19th December).
Lucky for you -> The UK Parliament has adopted EC261/2004 into UK national law. So from a law perspective you are safe.
CEDR, MCOL are all options for you to enforce that law.

I don't want a voucher, I wan't to be able to rebook any cancelled itinerary without repricing and without any discussion of ticket validity etc
You could sue LX in UK court for the cost of the replacement ticket. You need to prove that LX denied/ignored your claim for a free rebooking.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
You could sue LX in UK court for the cost of the replacement ticket. You need to prove that LX denied/ignored your claim for a free rebooking.
I'm not UK based. I have no intention of suing LH. I expect LH to adhere to their own (updated) ticket rules and reissue ticket for new travel dates (without add payment) once I have decided so despite that ticket is from March 2020.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Another revision:

Adjusted return policy in case of schedule change Due to recent litigation in the European Court of Justice, Lufthansa Group airlines are adjusting their refund policy due to schedule changes. With immediate effect, delaying the departure time by more than one hour also entitles the passenger to a refund.
https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_152012.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
file_152012.pdf (718.4 KB, 36 views)
chris63 and gojko88 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can airports be changed within 200 miles only in country or just a straight 200 crow flies?

I understand that the rule for 200 miles was changed to only be permitted when there are no flights on the day you require from the original airports.

Just looking at the great fares out of The Ukraine, could I swap a LWO for KRK if the flights are cancelled and per the rules rebooked?

Two pax to Dubai in business for 1000 is a bargain ex-PL.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hugolover
Can airports be changed within 200 miles only in country
Pretty sure it's this one.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I expect that it can easily depend on the agent that you talk to....

When I talked about LH agents about this some time ago there was no mentioning of 200 miles within same country/no mentioning that change of departure to another country wasn't allowed.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:15 pm

I booked business saver back in Late Nov for travel in April from Auckland to Scotland on Lufthansa ticket but the AKL-HKG and HKG-AKL legs were on AirNZ out and Cathay back.
After AirNZ changed their scheduling in January the outbound leg was cancelled. I received an email nloting first leg was cancelled and ended up calling them to rebook on another route a day earlier this time via Singapore on Singapore Plane on the outbound leg for no extra cost. This also changed my other flights to get to Glasgow.
My booking is still showing the Cathay Pacific HKG-AKL Leg on 23/4 as confirmed although I know there are no flights available on the Cathay website at the moment.
With all the other available return legs between Asia and New Zealand filling up fast I am worried that if I wait for Lufthansa to tell me there is no flight there wont be any other options. If I am proactive and call Lufthansa to change the return leg will this end up cost me as I initiated the query?
Alternative routes are also a lot more expensive at the moment.
Any advise/ recent experience appreciated.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:59 am

LH will accomodate you on an alternative CX/NZ flight as long as there is space in the cabin. Read the policy provided a few posts above and call LH. You have ticket from A to B, they will change the routing if required.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.